AVS Forum banner

601 - 620 of 1467 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but I can't find any references to the black floor during scene transitions. One of the differences between the HT3550 and the HT5550 was supposed to be the iris being capable of fully closing on the HT5550. Has anyone actually stepped frame by frame through a movie's transition to full black and verified the iris fully closes ? Is there any other light leakage from the HT5550, or is a fully black output possible ?

Reactions: DivineMoshka

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have not seen it fully closing while I had mine. Supposedly they are working on improved algorithms still, but from what I understand the PJ would have to be send back to upgrade it.

I've returned mine, so hopefully others have good news to tell with future updates!

·
Registered
545 Posts
No, I have to use a variety of remotes to get it all working. The simplest setup is using my HTPC for surfing the web since the HDMI audio goes direct to the PJ and it's speaker, which is fine for Youtube. Otherwise, if I want 5.1 sound, I run the TV tuner, BD, HTPC, audio outs to my amp and feed the HDMI to the PJ via a 4-1 switch.
Sound like you're due for an upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have not seen it fully closing while I had mine. Supposedly they are working on improved algorithms still, but from what I understand the PJ would have to be send back to upgrade it.

I've returned mine, so hopefully others have good news to tell with future updates!

Where did you hear they are workign on improved algorithms ?? If they did have an improved algorithm could it be updated via usb firmware or would it have to be sent back to BenQ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Where did you hear they are workign on improved algorithms ?? If they did have an improved algorithm could it be updated via usb firmware or would it have to be sent back to BenQ?
Your question was answered in my post :)

I believe both @scottyroo and @sage11x had confirmed that there were/are plans.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your question was answered in my post :)

I believe both @scottyroo and @sage11x had confirmed that there were/are plans.

Sorry mate ... was a quick reply this mornign and i skim read it .... i definately think there will be an algorithm update i can feel it in the air .... but based on the discussions on this forum pretty much every w5700 and w2700 owner would be sending it back to BenQ for an update ! thats alot of units to work on.

·
Registered
146 Posts
pretty much every w5700 and w2700 owner would be sending it back to BenQ for an update ! thats alot of units to work on.
Yep, that together with no real news and a (current) dynamic iris not functioning as well as my current PJ and poorer black levels in general (which was expected) made me return it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, that together with no real news and a (current) dynamic iris not functioning as well as my current PJ and poorer black levels in general (which was expected) made me return it.

Interesting .... DI tech is fairly older aswell.... may i ask and feel free to say no .... but at time of purchase was your current projector more or less than the price of the w5700 ? Your current projector isnt DLP ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So like many others, I have been watching the various threads for the BenQ 3550, 5550, and the Epson 5050. After seeing the size of the Epson 4010, I think the 5050 is ruled out for me.

Currently I am running a BenQ 1070 at 11 ft from a 106" screen. I sit at about 10 ft away.

My question is would it be better to get the 3550 as a nearly drop in replacement with the zoom set at about 15% or to run the 5550 mounted at the same distance with the zoom set at about 85%?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
So like many others, I have been watching the various threads for the BenQ 3550, 5550, and the Epson 5050. After seeing the size of the Epson 4010, I think the 5050 is ruled out for me.

Currently I am running a BenQ 1070 at 11 ft from a 106" screen. I sit at about 10 ft away.

My question is would it be better to get the 3550 as a nearly drop in replacement with the zoom set at about 15% or to run the 5550 mounted at the same distance with the zoom set at about 85%?

I would choose the 5550 with 85% zoom. Zoom (by which I mean optical zoom) is nothing to be concerned about as long as you are close enough to the screen to ensure you are still getting enough lumens, which from 11 feet shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Interesting .... DI tech is fairly older aswell.... may i ask and feel free to say no .... but at time of purchase was your current projector more or less than the price of the w5700 ? Your current projector isnt DLP ?
My current PJ is the Panasonic PT-AE8000U (3x LCD), which had an MSRP of $3,500. But, I got it a year (maybe longer?) later than when it came out and got it for almost $2K less. Also used to have an AE6000U which I think I paid over $4K for originally.

If I could have something like that again (with even better black level), true 4K pixels after shifting (instead of the 2x 1080p), great HDR tone mapping and ideally an LED / laser source in that sort of chassis I'd be super happy. But that does not seem to exist, yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My current PJ is the Panasonic PT-AE8000U (3x LCD), which had an MSRP of $3,500. But, I got it a year (maybe longer?) later than when it came out and got it for almost $2K less. Also used to have an AE6000U which I think I paid over $4K for originally.

If I could have something like that again (with even better black level), true 4K pixels after shifting (instead of the 2x 1080p), great HDR tone mapping and ideally an LED / laser source in that sort of chassis I'd be super happy. But that does not seem to exist, yet.

Different technologies from DLP then ... Its a shame panasonic pulled out fo projector selling they seamed to be doing good with product qulaity but obviously not the sales. how old is the AE8000U as a model? its bacls are better than the w5700 but then again the w5700 is a DLP. Its a higher price tag also.

I guess if you waited a year or two you would have more bang for your buck

·
Registered
1 Posts
BenQ w5700 new projector

First time post on any site, I’v Been reading posts for the last couple of months and have finally bought the BenQ W5700. I’ve had projectors for the past 20 years my last one being a Panasonic PT-AT6000E.
The BenQ is an amazing projector the picture for the money is superb. i thought like many people that lumens and contrast was everything so took a leap of faith with this projector having gone off reviews in the past.
I am amazed at the quality of picture in 4K and even hd, for the money this has to be the best value projector on the market.
I ordered it from Projector point and it was delivered the next day. One thing to mention is that it is sited in a dedicated cinema room so I don’t know what it would be like with ambient lighting.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
One thing to mention is that it is sited in a dedicated cinema room so I don’t know what it would be like with ambient lighting.:)
Mine's in a basement rec room with no natural light and I can turn off all room lighting when viewing. I thought it'd be a viable space since I can't see my hand in front of my face down there when the lights are off, maybe it's alright. Although, I have a white ceiling along with light colored walls and carpeting that all glow when the projector is on.

I wish I could experience it in a dedicated cinema room for comparison's sake. I don't know how much of a hit I'm taking from the reflective light. I did paint the screen wall black which makes the picture stand out so much more. It's already a terrific picture, if a dedicated cinema room can make it even better then I'm jealous. I can't black out my rec room, so I might have to get creative.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Mine's in a basement rec room with no natural light and I can turn off all room lighting when viewing. I thought it'd be a viable space since I can't see my hand in front of my face down there when the lights are off, maybe it's alright. Although, I have a white ceiling along with light colored walls and carpeting that all glow when the projector is on.

I wish I could experience it in a dedicated cinema room for comparison's sake. I don't know how much of a hit I'm taking from the reflective light. I did paint the screen wall black which makes the picture stand out so much more. It's already a terrific picture, if a dedicated cinema room can make it even better then I'm jealous. I can't black out my rec room, so I might have to get creative.
I saw some folks online awhile back that made a sliding blackout type curtain on both sides and top of the room, which they would slide out when watching movies and slide back during the day. I thought that was pretty creative.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any thoughts on the contrast of the 5500 versus the 1070? A lot of people have talked about the regression of the 4k DLPs versus the good 1080p ones? I don't know how the 1070 stands up, but am curious on what I should expect if I buy this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw some folks online awhile back that made a sliding blackout type curtain on both sides and top of the room, which they would slide out when watching movies and slide back during the day. I thought that was pretty creative.
I hadn't even considered a solution like that. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #618
Hey y’all. I just posted my video review of the HT5550 on YouTube. It will probably take a while for it to convert to 4K resolution on YouTube on the backend but it’s up!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey y’all. I just posted my video review of the HT5550 on YouTube. It will probably take a while for it to convert to 4K resolution on YouTube on the backend but it’s up!

https://youtu.be/nrqIHsd0s9c
Just finished watching your review, it was excellent. Confirmed all of the reasons I bought the HT5550 :) can't wait for the shootout vid.

One question I did have, is some of the default picture modes (including HDR10) have sharpness set to 15. I'm wondering if I should leave it maxed out when viewing 4k content or drop it to 8.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

601 - 620 of 1467 Posts