AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 1467 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks mate!
The image quality is really good. Very sharp for a projector!

I'm pairing it with a Gain 1.1 white screen. The black level is below my expectation though.
Trying to see if there is any way to improve on that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black levels and contrast are my only knocks on it. I have noticed that 4K content helps. There has got to be a combination of settings that will improve the black levels. IMO they are not bad because there are some scenes where it produces some really good blacks, but others you can feel "eh they could be better" so I guess for me I would say the black level is inconsistent.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Came to me as a disappointment at first because I was using a LG oled and I still keep it.
But after a while into the movie, my focus was more on how good and sharp the PQ was that the black level didn't bother me that much any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts
HLG support

Greetings.

I seems the W5700 is just one of a handful of projectors supporting HLG. Has anyone got a chance to test it?
The youtube Japan Geographic channel has a few ARIB STD-B67 encoded clips. Is this detected as HLG by the W5700, or is it transcoded by youtube and output as PQ?
iPlayer's UHD channel is also broadcast in HLG, but access seems to be limited to HM's loyal subjects at the moment.

Many thanks and best regards,

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
HLG works just fine. It has its own picture mode.

In the states i use directv and they have like 2 channels in 4k with some with HDR HLG support. I'm watching golf this weekend.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Disney in their supreme benevolence has released their copyright claim on my Epson / BenQ video. :) Its probably not at comprehensive as it could be but spoiler alert is that these are both amazing projectors.
Thanks for the comparison Scott! Did your HT5550 have a newer firmware or other enhancements? When I had mine the dynamic iris didn't seem to operate near the speed yours seems to in that video. I'm also really surprised you never really saw a gray-ish looking image compared to the 5050, as I definitely saw that a number of times when I compared mine to the PT-AE8000 I have here as well.

Now of course this is not necessarily going to come across on a youtube video and the way your camera was auto adjusting things, but still, I would've expected to see the same sort of thing I saw in real life a few times in your video.

For example, in the beginning off The Martian when the title screen pops up while the camera is panning across Mars the BenQ DI definitely reacted way slower than my PT-AE8000. Same with IMAX Journey To Space. You can see images of both of that in my thoughts post here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3050402-benq-w5700-ht5550-4k-100-dci-p3-projector-announcement-ownera-s-thread-14.html#post57897492

Any thoughts on why yours seemed to perform much better? Did you see anything at all like my images show when comparing against the 5050UB?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I put on the Martian to see what you are describing and yes it is grayish. The blacks jump up when the white text comes on. In some low light, content looks good and other stuff the black floor is raised. I do think the iris does better than with the ht3550 i previously owned. Once i get adjusted to the blacks i focus on the image and forget about it. I think with these dlp chips they just can't get as black like the good old days. When i was at Scott's house we didn't really watch dim content when he was showing both the epson and this one.

To me i preferred the dlp look compared to lcd which is why i have the Benq.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Out of box the BenQ is better. They do factory calibration. BenQ is subjectively better at handling HDR and objectively better with resolution.

Epson is better at brightness, input lag, contrast. And as far as settings go... Alaric has a setting that called HDR bright where I think you'd be happy leaving it in most of the time. Doesn't take too much work to get a great image.

Honestly... flip a coin. Both great pieces of kit.
Might I ask about RBE? Obviously an Epson LCD has none but I mean a comparison between the older 1080p Benqs and the W2700 and W5700.

I LOVE the picture on the W5700, except I am very sensitive to RBE. Still deciding between upgrading from an OLD LCD to a 1080p Benq or one of these two new 4K Benqs, or an Epson.

Thanks if anyone has anything to say about this...

I already posted the following in the W2700 thread:

I just managed to see the presentation of the W2700 and W5700 and I have to say, coming from an OLD LCD PJ I found them both to be stunning with regards to color and clarity. The dynamic iris on the W2700 had a really noticeable effect and resulted in great blacks as far I am concerned. Obviously the W5700 was significantly better in color and contrast.

However I noticed that I saw a surprising amount of RBE. Now I am VERY sensitive to RBE so don't think this will apply to anyone else. Only I and one salesman could see it and the others there had no problem with it.

RBE seemed slightly better on the W5700, don't know why or how that could be, maybe just perception.

My question is, for those who have used both the older 1080p Benqs like the 2050 and 3050, and also seen these new models, can you see a subjective increase in RBE?

I read Sage and others' very detailed discussion of the color wheel speed issue and it seems to me, having seen some 1080P Benqs like the HT2050 in a museum, that they seemed to have less RBE for me.

Just curious if anyone has any experience to report on this.

Thanks"
--------------------------------------------

·
Registered
209 Posts
Need some help....I've owned a Sony VW95ES for some years now and is the BenQ HT5550 worth the upgrade? Mainly gonna be watching 4K movies. Have a dedicated HT room which is completely dark. Also is there a big difference between this and the BenQ HT3550? Thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Might I ask about RBE? Obviously an Epson LCD has none but I mean a comparison between the older 1080p Benqs and the W2700 and W5700.

I LOVE the picture on the W5700, except I am very sensitive to RBE. Still deciding between upgrading from an OLD LCD to a 1080p Benq or one of these two new 4K Benqs, or an Epson.

Thanks if anyone has anything to say about this...

I already posted the following in the W2700 thread:

I just managed to see the presentation of the W2700 and W5700 and I have to say, coming from an OLD LCD PJ I found them both to be stunning with regards to color and clarity. The dynamic iris on the W2700 had a really noticeable effect and resulted in great blacks as far I am concerned. Obviously the W5700 was significantly better in color and contrast.

However I noticed that I saw a surprising amount of RBE. Now I am VERY sensitive to RBE so don't think this will apply to anyone else. Only I and one salesman could see it and the others there had no problem with it.

RBE seemed slightly better on the W5700, don't know why or how that could be, maybe just perception.

My question is, for those who have used both the older 1080p Benqs like the 2050 and 3050, and also seen these new models, can you see a subjective increase in RBE?

I read Sage and others' very detailed discussion of the color wheel speed issue and it seems to me, having seen some 1080P Benqs like the HT2050 in a museum, that they seemed to have less RBE for me.

Just curious if anyone has any experience to report on this.

Thanks"
--------------------------------------------
I'm somewhat sensitive to RBE but I don't notice it most of the time. I've owned a few DLPs and certainly don't think the HT5550 / W5700 is any worse than anything else I've owned.

I do notice rainbows on very bright white objects if I move my eyes back and forth. And occasionally on darker scenes with bright items like candles.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
I put on the Martian to see what you are describing and yes it is grayish. The blacks jump up when the white text comes on. In some low light, content looks good and other stuff the black floor is raised. I do think the iris does better than with the ht3550 i previously owned. Once i get adjusted to the blacks i focus on the image and forget about it.
Yes, in general the black level is good enough for me. However, I'll instantly notice the gray parts, especially when it transitions like it does in that scene. It'll instantly pull me out of unfortunately. Even the girlfriend asked why the image was getting dimmer with certain scenes (it was because the DI was reacting too slowly, so it made it quite noticeable for us).

It's definitely a great projector, I/we just tend to watch quite a bit of dark material (SciFi, for example), so that together with some other issues (I saw RBE & firmware on my unit felt a bit unstable) made me return it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
2012 768 Resolution DLP .60" Projector vs. Benq HT5550 SDR

Just some screen shots comparing a DLP 768 resolution projector from 2012 to the Benq HT5550 in SDR. Same 150" Screen, scene, and streaming device from Netflix Chef's Table.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Benq HT5550 HDR10 Still

Still image from Netflix Chef's Table streamed in HDR10. Shows the black level and detail that the projector is capable of. Check out the detail in the tine of the fork.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ok guys. Two week now with the replacement HT5550 and the grinding noise is back. Same exact problem as the first one I received. BenQ doesn’t know what’s causing this as it’s happening with and with out dynamic iris on. Long story story short my third HT5550 was shipped Friday and should be here tomorrow. Hope the third time is a charm. My buddy told me I was crazy for giving them one than two chances but I love the picture quality and the color accuracy so much I’m hoping to finally receive a good working unit. I know the 5550 makes noise but this is two units now with the same exact issue only difference is the 1st it started with 24 hours of install and this time took about two weeks and 9hrs on the lampS. Terrible grinding or something is loose. Any way 3rd replacement comes tomorrow let you know if I’m getting the Epson.. my fingers are crossed the third one is good

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok guys. Two week now with the replacement HT5550 and the grinding noise is back. Same exact problem as the first one I received. BenQ doesn’t know what’s causing this as it’s happening with and with out dynamic iris on. Long story story short my third HT5550 was shipped Friday and should be here tomorrow. Hope the third time is a charm. My buddy told me I was crazy for giving them one than two chances but I love the picture quality and the color accuracy so much I’m hoping to finally receive a good working unit. I know the 5550 makes noise but this is two units now with the same exact issue only difference is the 1st it started with 24 hours of install and this time took about two weeks and 9hrs on the lampS. Terrible grinding or something is loose. Any way 3rd replacement comes tomorrow let you know if I’m getting the Epson.. my fingers are crossed the third one is good
I had 40 hours on mine and no grinding. Hope the third one is the charm!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Is yours ceiling mounted? I wonder if that some how causes the issue. Scottyroo's was right side up on a shelf and no grinding. I have it in my theater ceiling mounted and the grinding has begun with the dynamic iris on. I'm curious how everyone is mounting them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Is yours ceiling mounted? I wonder if that some how causes the issue. Scottyroo's was right side up on a shelf and no grinding. I have it in my theater ceiling mounted and the grinding has begun with the dynamic iris on. I'm curious how everyone is mounting them.[/QUOTE

Yes, ceiling mounted... it was fairly quiet the last two weeks with no noises other than the usual and what I felt was acceptable. My friend has one and he said he has about 40 hrs on the lamp, it’s upside down and no grinding. My fingers are crossed because I really really love the quality especially the 3D quality of the 5550. It’s awesome if would just shut the F up and stop making grinding sounds every 30secs to a min.. any way new is on the way

·
Registered
285 Posts
Is yours ceiling mounted? I wonder if that some how causes the issue. Scottyroo's was right side up on a shelf and no grinding. I have it in my theater ceiling mounted and the grinding has begun with the dynamic iris on. I'm curious how everyone is mounting them.[/QUOTE

Yes, ceiling mounted... it was fairly quiet the last two weeks with no noises other than the usual and what I felt was acceptable. My friend has one and he said he has about 40 hrs on the lamp, it’s upside down and no grinding. My fingers are crossed because I really really love the quality especially the 3D quality of the 5550. It’s awesome if would just shut the F up and stop making grinding sounds every 30secs to a min.. any way new is on the way
Mine has been ceiling mounted the entire time, I've got 64 hours on the lamp I believe; no grinding issues. I hear the iris adjusting from time to time, and it makes a similar sound (almost like a whirring noise) when changing picture modes, such as engaging HDR content.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine has been ceiling mounted the entire time, I've got 64 hours on the lamp I believe; no grinding issues. I hear the iris adjusting from time to time, and it makes a similar sound (almost like a whirring noise) when changing picture modes, such as engaging HDR content.
~40 hours on mine. Hung from the ceiling and no grinding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all! My first post here.

I had HT3550 about 6 hours, i just couldnt handle the noise coming from it, so i returned it.
I ordered HT5550 (W5700 here in Finland) and i have about 2 weeks waiting time to arrive.

My question is: what it your opinion about the HT5550 noise level?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hi all! My first post here.

I had HT3550 about 6 hours, i just couldnt handle the noise coming from it, so i returned it.
I ordered HT5550 (W5700 here in Finland) and i have about 2 weeks waiting time to arrive.

My question is: what it your opinion about the HT5550 noise level?
The fan noise is much quieter on the w5700. You'll be happy you upgraded. The fan is near dead quiet in smart eco and not bothersome in normal. It has a hum to it but not the sound of a fast moving fan like the ht3550. I think with the smaller size it needs to move more air or the fan is just smaller but runs louder. I have no idea but i do know the fan noise is not an issue or distraction on the w5700.

641 - 660 of 1467 Posts