AVS Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1467 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Funny thing is everyone seems to think the Epson TW 9400 has superior PQ just because of the better blacks, I auditioned both and bought the BenQ W5700 as it had a sharper and smoother more film like picture, I could see screendoor and digital looking image due to the lower pixel shifting of the enhanced 4k technology of the Epson.

True the motorized lense control is superior but I don't have a 2:35 screen and once my PJ is setup I never touch the focusing or zoom anymore.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I haven't compared it to the newer Epsons but my old Epson 2045 used to have the dirty screen effect really badly on panning shots. Same for my Samsung KS8500, I really couldn't stand it.

I know people crap on the black levels of DLP, but the motion clarity is so much better than LCD tech.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Funny thing is everyone seems to think the Epson TW 9400 has superior PQ just because of the better blacks, I auditioned both and bought the BenQ W5700 as it had a sharper and smoother more film like picture, I could see screendoor and digital looking image due to the lower pixel shifting of the enhanced 4k technology of the Epson.

True the motorized lense control is superior but I don't have a 2:35 screen and once my PJ is setup I never touch the focusing or zoom anymore.

Preference is subjective.

It's difficult to get projectors properly set up in the right room, with the right personnel, etc.

How big was the screen and from what distance were you viewing it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Preference is subjective.

It's difficult to get projectors properly set up in the right room, with the right personnel, etc.

How big was the screen and from what distance were you viewing it?
You can see one member's Scott review of the TW 9400 vs the BenQ 5700 on YouTube, he showed the difference in resolution and the LCD enhanced 4k definitely inferior and the shootout pics masked side by side he actually said the picture quality BTW the two were awash.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello,

I am considering this projector and am trying to find some pictures that show the performance with a few overhead can lights turned on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,

I am considering this projector and am trying to find some pictures that show the performance with a few overhead can lights turned on.
I do not think that the HT5550/W5700 is a good choice for a lit room. Choose a brighter projector for that purpose.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hello,

It's designed for a light controlled room. It just doesn't have the lumen output to contend with ambient or artificial light.

You might want to look at the TK800 or an LCD projector.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hello,

. You could probably get away with the can lights on in the back of a basement.....like 12 feet or more away from the screen. Anything closer and it’s not going to work. I have Back lights on in a basement 14 feet away in this picture. It’s watchable.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
You can see one member's Scott review of the TW 9400 vs the BenQ 5700 on YouTube, he showed the difference in resolution and the LCD enhanced 4k definitely inferior and the shootout pics masked side by side he actually said the picture quality BTW the two were awash.

If you pause and analyze each picture then you'll find more issues then there actually are. It's not easy to make judgements on pictures/video on the internet.

In real life content the higher contrast of the Epson would have and advantage. It's also significantly brighter. But it's the user's preference that ultimately counts.

You still haven't mentioned the size of the screen and room environment where both projectors were auditioned.

Hello,

What is the source and intensity of the ambient light? How far away are the lights from the screen?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Wonder if anyone here using W5700 with the new HDfury Vertex2 for Dolby Vision ? If yes, would like to share the settings on Vertex2 as well as on the BenQ.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you pause and analyze each picture then you'll find more issues then there actually are. It's not easy to make judgements on pictures/video on the internet.

In real life content the higher contrast of the Epson would have and advantage. It's also significantly brighter. But it's the user's preference that ultimately counts.

You still haven't mentioned the size of the screen and room environment where both projectors were auditioned.

What is the source and intensity of the ambient light? How far away are the lights from the screen?[/quote @noob0024, the Epson was on a 154 inch screen VS 100 inch for the BenQ distance around the same.

Yes I know that the screen size would affect the PQ of the Epson in terms of seeing pixels but it is well known that the pixel shifting of Epson's FHD would definitely be at a disadvantage vs the higher fill factor of the BenQ's DLP pixel shifting, you would either see a softer picture or SD if the screen sizes were the same, and I would not like the distraction of SDE throughout the movie, it spoils the immersiveness of the movie.

I find the contrast sufficient for the BenQ compared to a commercial theater screen.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts

What is the source and intensity of the ambient light? How far away are the lights from the screen?[/quote @noob 0024, the Epson was on a 154 inch screen VS 100 inch for the BenQ distance around the same.

Yes I know that the screen size would affect the PQ of the Epson in terms of seeing pixels but it is well known that the pixel shifting of Epson's FHD would definitely be at a disadvantage vs the higher fill factor of the BenQ's DLP pixel shifting, you would either see a softer picture or SD if the screen sizes were the same, and I would not like the distraction of SDE throughout the movie, it spoils the immersiveness of the movie.

I find the contrast sufficient for the BenQ compared to a commercial theater screen.

But from what distance?

Did the Epson have the 4K enhancer feature?

Was the source 1080p or 4K?

There are so many variables.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I sent my BenQ HT5550 in for service a 2-3 weeks ago and I just got another unit delivered to me without any notification/warning to be on the lookout for it. I know the unit I received is different from what I sent them because it has a different Manufacturing date and serial number. Is there any way to tell if I got a replacement or a refurbished unit?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I sent my BenQ HT5550 in for service a 2-3 weeks ago and I just got another unit delivered to me without any notification/warning to be on the lookout for it. I know the unit I received is different from what I sent them because it has a different Manufacturing date and serial number. Is there any way to tell if I got a replacement or a refurbished unit?
How many hours on the lamp? They could have resetted that though....

Usually refurbs have a suffix on the serial number -ref or something. I think my ht2050 refurb had that.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is anyone out there using the BenQ HT5550 with the Panasonic UB820?

The reason I ask is that I currently have the UB820 set to output in SDR/2020 to the BenQ projector, but this disables the use of the Panasonic HDR Optimizer.

However, in Kris Deering's Sound and Vision review of the UB820 in 2018, he states: "With the player in HDR-SDR conversion mode, you also get the option to turn the HDR Optimizer on and off. This will tell the player whether or not to use the program’s HDR metadata or to default to a base 1,000 nits tone map."

Just wondering if I have something set incorrectly on the BenQ or if anyone else has the same experience?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Is anyone out there using the BenQ HT5550 with the Panasonic UB820?

The reason I ask is that I currently have the UB820 set to output in SDR/2020 to the BenQ projector, but this disables the use of the Panasonic HDR Optimizer.

However, in Kris Deering's Sound and Vision review of the UB820 in 2018, he states: "With the player in HDR-SDR conversion mode, you also get the option to turn the HDR Optimizer on and off. This will tell the player whether or not to use the program’s HDR metadata or to default to a base 1,000 nits tone map."

Just wondering if I have something set incorrectly on the BenQ or if anyone else has the same experience?
You have to use the 'Option' button on the lower left of the UB420 remote to use the HDR optimizer features when in SDR/BT2020 mode. IIRC, the UB820 is the same.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How many hours on the lamp? They could have resetted that though....

Usually refurbs have a suffix on the serial number -ref or something. I think my ht2050 refurb had that.....
Only 1-hour on the bulb and no Ref suffix. There also wasn't a calibration sheet in the box, so I'm leaning towards it being refurbished.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I picked up a Panasonic 820 to compare against the Oppo 203. I wanted to try out the HDR optimizer. With the dozen or so titles I went through, I preferred the HDR optimizer off. The tone mapping on the HT5550 is excellent. I got more dynamic range with it off without clipping in the bright highlights. I'll continue to play with it as I watch movies. I had the tv display at low luminance projector. I liked the HDR optimizer set at standard the best but it did dim down the brightest highlights. I tested out discs with 1000 and 4000 nits.

I did keep the Panasonic in the theater room and moved the Oppo 203 to the game room. The Panasonic is sharper but not in an artificial way and appears to have more clarity to it. I compared against the 203 and it was softer but still pleasing. I wouldn't have known any better if I didn't compare them back to back. Overall I'm happy I added the 820 to the setup and gained just a bit more performance. I haven't tried 3d yet.

On another topic, who is using a 2.35:1 screen with this projector? I don't want to add an expensive anamorphic lens. This is the one area I wish it supported better. I keep having the itch to change from a 16x9 screen.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What settings on the HT5550/W5700 do you all use for playback of 4K UHD discs?

The reason I ask is that I've noticed that some 4K discs played back in HDR10 mode on my BenQ can show overblown reds and blues, or clipped whites (e.g. Dunkirk), while other discs look almost perfect without any tweaking needed at all (e.g. Ready Player One, Phantom Thread). I've read through this entire thread and I see some users suggest using Dark Cinema mode with WCG both on and off, while others suggest using Cinema mode (REC.709) or User mode with your player outputting SDR/BT2020, but even these results can be mixed, sometimes great sometimes not. (Fyi, I'm using Panasonic UB820 with HDR Optimizer engaged.)

I guess I'm asking if anyone has a set-it-and-forget-it for UHD/HDR content?

1341 - 1360 of 1467 Posts