AVS Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1467 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What settings on the HT5550/W5700 do you all use for playback of 4K UHD discs?

The reason I ask is that I've noticed that some 4K discs played back in HDR10 mode on my BenQ can show overblown reds and blues, or clipped whites (e.g. Dunkirk), while other discs look almost perfect without any tweaking needed at all (e.g. Ready Player One, Phantom Thread). I've read through this entire thread and I see some users suggest using Dark Cinema mode with WCG both on and off, while others suggest using Cinema mode (REC.709) or User mode with your player outputting SDR/BT2020, but even these results can be mixed, sometimes great sometimes not. (Fyi, I'm using Panasonic UB820 with HDR Optimizer engaged.)

I guess I'm asking if anyone has a set-it-and-forget-it for UHD/HDR content?
I have noticed clipping mostly in blue but red it also happens. I think it has to do with the tone mapping.
Here are my HDR10 settings. I also am using a Panasonic 820. I recently switched from an Oppo 203. I don't use the HDR optimizer though for the testing I did. I continue to play with it.

I calibrated mine with a SyperX meter using ChromaPure.

Brightness 50
Contrast 50
color 50
tint 50
Sharpness 0

Dynamic Iris High
Brillant Color off
wide color gamut on
light mode normal

color enhancer 0
flesh tone 0
Pixel enhancer 4k 3
motion enhancer 4k 0ff

Color temperature Normal
red gain 104
green gain 100
blue gain 101
red offset 258
green offset 256
blue offset 243

primary red
hue 200
sat 200
gain 200

primary green
hue 220
sat 212
gain 200

primary blue
hue 200
sat 218
gain 200

primary cyan
hue 133
sat 237
gain 200

primary magenta
hue 183
sat 182
gain 200

primary yellow
hue 172
sat 200
gaine 200

HDR brightness 0

I do have other settings I use for all other non HDR content.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Here are my settings for SDR content.

I unlocked ISF night but you can use USER.

Brightness 50
Contrast 50
color 50
tint 50
Sharpness 0

color Temperature
red gain 105
green gain 100
blue gain 101
red offset 256
green offset 256
blue offset 250

Gamma 2.4

Dynamic iris high
brilliant color off
light mode normal

Primary red
hue 218
sat 198
gain 194

primary green
hue 223
sat 177
gain 175

primary blue
hue 174
sat 200
gain 162

primary cyan
hue 245
sat 176
gain 198

primary magenta
hue 289
sat 187
gain 203

primary yellow
hue 165
sat 168
gain 183

I don't watch a lot of SDR content and those settings may need a few fine tuning tweaks since I've had the projector a year.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have noticed clipping mostly in blue but red it also happens. I think it has to do with the tone mapping.
Here are my HDR10 settings. I also am using a Panasonic 820. I recently switched from an Oppo 203. I don't use the HDR optimizer though for the testing I did. I continue to play with it.

I calibrated mine with a SyperX meter using ChromaPure.

Brightness 50
Contrast 50
color 50
tint 50
Sharpness 0

Dynamic Iris High
Brillant Color off
wide color gamut on
light mode normal

color enhancer 0
flesh tone 0
Pixel enhancer 4k 3
motion enhancer 4k 0ff

Color temperature Normal
red gain 104
green gain 100
blue gain 101
red offset 258
green offset 256
blue offset 243

primary red
hue 200
sat 200
gain 200

primary green
hue 220
sat 212
gain 200

primary blue
hue 200
sat 218
gain 200

primary cyan
hue 133
sat 237
gain 200

primary magenta
hue 183
sat 182
gain 200

primary yellow
hue 172
sat 200
gaine 200

HDR brightness 0

I do have other settings I use for all other non HDR content.
Great, many thanks, Bachelor! I'll enter your HDR settings tonight and report back, plus I'll try out your SDR numbers too.

You're right that blue clipping is the worst culprit, but I've seen horrible reds on some titles too.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
O notice that you don't put sharpness, why, can you explain me please, thanks
The sharpness control on this projector doesn't do much. I've moved it from 0 to 15 with little change. I've had it at 8 but recently put it at 0.

Generally the sharpness control adds ringing and false sharpening not in the actual image.

You can put it where you want.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade to 4K from my W7500, and I have a few of questions I'd like your opinions on if you have relevant experience.

1. Are black levels similar/improved over the W6K/7K/W7500 series?
2. Is the CIH "zoom" method viable with the HT5550? I have no real issue doing this with the joystick on the W7500.
3. Is the input lag for gaming similar to the previous BenQ W models listed above?

Considerations:

- I love the smooth motion, 3D performance and sharpness of DLP. The only other TV in the house is a 52" Panasonic plasma (in a non-light controlled room) for comparison purposes. But my theater room is pretty well light controlled (dark walls, black velvet on sides of screen and 4' from screen on the ceiling) and if the blacks are better on this projector versus the W7500 all the better. I certainly don't want to do worse.

- I currently sit ~10' away from a 125" diagonal 2.35:1 white screen with a ~1.0 gain. The projector is mounted relatively high on a back shelf ~16' from the screen. I do use the "zoom" method to shrink to a 100" 16:9 for gaming. Is this miserable with the dials found on the HT5550 versus the joystick on the W series?

- Finally, I game a fair bit (Xbox One X). Nothing competitive. Usually single player RPG's, FPS's and some Co-op stuff (Borderlands 3). I have a feeling the sharpness of this projector is going to be a real benefit on 4K games. I've got no problem with the lag on the W7500. Is it similar on the HT5550?

·
Registered
16 Posts

I'd say similar. That is good for a DLP.

2. Is the CIH "zoom" method viable with the HT5550? I have no real issue doing this with the joystick on the W7500.

I would say: No. No joystick, control ring for the manual zoom, which at least I'd consider a pain... Your opinion may differ though.

3. Is the input lag for gaming similar to the previous BenQ W models listed above?

Yup. Input lag is similar. I think just under 60ms for the HT5550, but... likely goes up higher when used in 4K mode.

·
Registered
402 Posts

I'd say similar. That is good for a DLP.

I would say: No. No joystick, control ring for the manual zoom, which at least I'd consider a pain... Your opinion may differ though.

Yup. Input lag is similar. I think just under 60ms for the HT5550, but... likely goes up higher when used in 4K mode.
Thanks for the input! Maybe I'll keep the W7500 for 3D and look for a used/B-stock JVC with low latency mode for games/movies.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I ordered a spare lamp directly from BenQ. $119 plus shipping. Not a bad price for a lamp. I'm at about 800 hours after 1 year. I don't anticipate any issues in the short term but it helps to continue using normal light mode and burning hours.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I ordered a spare lamp directly from BenQ. $119 plus shipping. Not a bad price for a lamp. I'm at about 800 hours after 1 year. I don't anticipate any issues in the short term but it helps to continue using normal light mode and burning hours.
Did you have to pay for shipping? It's showing $24 for FedEx saver which seems extremely high.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Did you have to pay for shipping? It's showing $24 for FedEx saver which seems extremely high.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Yes i paid for shipping. $33 for 2 day. It shipped with direct signature required which is an added surcharge for them.

On their site shows free ground shipping but that option did not come up during checkout. It had either 2 day or express saver.

I wonder if you can place an order over the phone to get ground shipping???

I was thinking of $150 and that's what my total came close too so i pulled the trigger. B&H has the bulb but special order and is $149 with free shipping.

It will arrive on Wednesday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi to all forum members.

I just received my unit coming from w1070+ after a demo on my living room and blown away by the color reproduction and sharpness.

When i set it up from just a check on my table with perfectly flat image (no key stone ) and tried all the zoom length at a smaller projected image to my screen , i was getting awful focus uniformity issues. All the way to no zoom the image was either on focus on the left or the right upper corners and sides .

This test was made with just opening the windows explorer with some text or with only the desktop showing the icons and the names of the shortcuts .
The text was somewhat blur and this issue i find unacceptable , while my 5 year old w1070+ at the same placement even with key correction delivers sharp at least image .

I should also add that using the test patters i seem to see a blueish and greeninsh/purpleish lines/ pixels along the end of the white lines at the affected focus area .

I am truly disappointing not to say frustrated as i was trying all day to fix its position on the ceiling and then it occurred me to test it before installing , and will contact the seller as soon as possible .

Has anyone came across this issue ? I am too picky as to what to expect from focus uniformity ?
I will try uploading some photos when possible if by then I am refused for a replacement or a refund.

Thank you all for your contributions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi to all forum members.

I just received my unit coming from w1070+ after a demo on my living room and blown away by the color reproduction and sharpness.

When i set it up from just a check on my table with perfectly flat image (no key stone ) and tried all the zoom length at a smaller projected image to my screen , i was getting awful focus uniformity issues. All the way to no zoom the image was either on focus on the left or the right upper corners and sides .

This test was made with just opening the windows explorer with some text or with only the desktop showing the icons and the names of the shortcuts .
The text was somewhat blur and this issue i find unacceptable , while my 5 year old w1070+ at the same placement even with key correction delivers sharp at least image .

I should also add that using the test patters i seem to see a blueish and greeninsh/purpleish lines/ pixels along the end of the white lines at the affected focus area .

I am truly disappointing not to say frustrated as i was trying all day to fix its position on the ceiling and then it occurred me to test it before installing , and will contact the seller as soon as possible .

Has anyone came across this issue ? I am too picky as to what to expect from focus uniformity ?
I will try uploading some photos when possible if by then I am refused for a replacement or a refund.

Also i should add that the Production data shipped was 09/2019 in the year 2020 !

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Hi to all forum members.

The focus should appear sharp and uniform at viewing distance. Some softness and/or chromatic aberration in the corners is probably acceptable if it is not visible at viewing distance. I would not accept a projector that cannot produce a sharply focused image at viewing distance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ve attached some images.

Hi to all forum members.

The focus should appear sharp and uniform at viewing distance. Some softness and/or chromatic aberration in the corners is probably acceptable if it is not visible at viewing distance. I would not accept a projector that cannot produce a sharply focused image at viewing distance.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is important to make sure that the projector is square to the screen, but if you've done that and it appears blurry at viewing distance then I'd exchange it.
+1 to this.

Could it be that the screen itself is the problem? That looks like a non-tab tensioned pull down screen? Might be only the photo, but the screen itself looks crooked.

1361 - 1380 of 1467 Posts