AVS Forum banner

1381 - 1400 of 1467 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am using the same screen for my w1070 as well and it seems fine.
Also note that i used a small portion of the center of the screen for the projected image to make sure that no curves exist for that purpose.
I ll try again at a wall nevertheless ,thank you for your comments.
It is important to make sure that the projector is square to the screen, but if you've done that and it appears blurry at viewing distance then I'd exchange it.
+1 to this.

Could it be that the screen itself is the problem? That looks like a non-tab tensioned pull down screen? Might be only the photo, but the screen itself looks crooked.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does anyone have synchronize problem on HT5550? The scene always delay around 0.2 second then sound. Any solution?

·
Registered
12 Posts
What kind of sound setup do you have? Do you use Bluetooth or have some kind of signal processing to make it lets say Dolby digital ?
This can happen in the above circumstances but it is caused by your audio setup not the projector (image) lag which is measured at around 50ms .

Does anyone have synchronize problem on HT5550? The scene always delay around 0.2 second then sound. Any solution?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used to use JBL preamp, Anthme MRX510 and now MRX 720 all got same problem. I don't use music streaming, only use in playing Blue-ray. My player is Pioneer LX500. The AV receiver decode no matter in DTS or Dolby successfully, only the scene and sound don't synchronize properly.

What kind of sound setup do you have? Do you use Bluetooth or have some kind of signal processing to make it lets say Dolby digital ?
This can happen in the above circumstances but it is caused by your audio setup not the projector (image) lag which is measured at around 50ms .

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used to use JBL preamp, Anthme MRX510 and now MRX 720 all got same problem. I don't use music streaming, only use in playing Blue-ray. My player is Pioneer LX500. The AV receiver decode no matter in DTS or Dolby successfully, only the scene and sound don't synchronize properly.
It is likely the LX500 in that case. How is the player connected to the receivers? And make sure the player doesn't somehow re-encode the audio, but rather send it as bitstream.

·
Just this guy, you know?
20 Posts
Greetings all,

I'm a total projector newbie, but we're finally reconfiguring the basement to support a dedicated home theater, and after using an Epson Powerlite 1261W I won from a giveaway at work when we moved offices, I'm sold on using a projector to get a 120" screen vs hanging a TV on the wall. (Well, at least vs one I could afford...)

While I'm sure any reasonable home theater projector would be worlds better than the office-oriented Epson, I'm leaning towards the HT5550 after doing a fair bit of lurking the last couple of weeks. I know it would be pure speculation, but do you think there's likely to be a refresh of this projector in the near future? I guess I would imagine it would have been announced in the CES timeframe if so, but who knows... Also, does $2199 for a refurb seem like a decent deal vs $2699 for new? I usually tend to go new, but this is probably something I could deal with a ding on, since it's going to be dark in there most of the time anyway. I know I'm giving up 2 years of warranty, but it seems like for a lot of electronic things, if it doesn't die right away, it's usually pretty good for quite a while, but I don't know if projectors are the exception. ;)

Thanks!

-Mike

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Greetings all,

I'm a total projector newbie, but we're finally reconfiguring the basement to support a dedicated home theater, and after using an Epson Powerlite 1261W I won from a giveaway at work when we moved offices, I'm sold on using a projector to get a 120" screen vs hanging a TV on the wall. (Well, at least vs one I could afford...)

While I'm sure any reasonable home theater projector would be worlds better than the office-oriented Epson, I'm leaning towards the HT5550 after doing a fair bit of lurking the last couple of weeks. I know it would be pure speculation, but do you think there's likely to be a refresh of this projector in the near future? I guess I would imagine it would have been announced in the CES timeframe if so, but who knows... Also, does $2199 for a refurb seem like a decent deal vs $2699 for new? I usually tend to go new, but this is probably something I could deal with a ding on, since it's going to be dark in there most of the time anyway. I know I'm giving up 2 years of warranty, but it seems like for a lot of electronic things, if it doesn't die right away, it's usually pretty good for quite a while, but I don't know if projectors are the exception. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Thanks!

-Mike
I think you'll be ok with a refurb. Make sure you test it out to be sure. Benqs customer service is pretty good and they would replace it if there is one.

For 120" you are looking around 13 feet back. You can use the projector calculator on projector central to be sure.

I highly doubt there is a newer model in the pipeline. It's just about a year old. I got mine right when they were released. Build date Feb 19.

It's not the brightest so it will need a light controlled room. I still love mine. What other questions do you have?

·
Just this guy, you know?
20 Posts
I think you'll be ok with a refurb. Make sure you test it out to be sure. Benqs customer service is pretty good and they would replace it if there is one.

For 120" you are looking around 13 feet back. You can use the projector calculator on projector central to be sure.

I highly doubt there is a newer model in the pipeline. It's just about a year old. I got mine right when they were released. Build date Feb 19.

It's not the brightest so it will need a light controlled room. I still love mine. What other questions do you have?
Thanks for the answers!

The Epson is sitting at about 14' back atm to hit 120". I have a little flexibility in the placement, but I liked that this one could stay more towards the back wall and not have to come foward like it seemed like the 3550 would have to.

When done, the room will be completely closeable from the rest of the basement, so ambient light should be minimal, and we're planning a fairly dark paint scheme for the room as well.

Do you find the noise level to be good? Again, I believe it's better than the Epson. A free iphone apps says 40-ish dB on normal and 34dB on eco for the Epson. I find the former to be distracting, but the latter to be acceptable.

Black levels on the Epson are truly horrific, so I'm sure I'll be wowed by them on the 5550, even though I know DLP isn't the best as far as that goes, but has other advantages.

Thanks again!

-Mike

Edit: One more: How is the brightness holding up over the last year?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Thanks for the answers!

The Epson is sitting at about 14' back atm to hit 120". I have a little flexibility in the placement, but I liked that this one could stay more towards the back wall and not have to come foward like it seemed like the 3550 would have to.

When done, the room will be completely closeable from the rest of the basement, so ambient light should be minimal, and we're planning a fairly dark paint scheme for the room as well.

Do you find the noise level to be good? Again, I believe it's better than the Epson. A free iphone apps says 40-ish dB on normal and 34dB on eco for the Epson. I find the former to be distracting, but the latter to be acceptable.

Black levels on the Epson are truly horrific, so I'm sure I'll be wowed by them on the 5550, even though I know DLP isn't the best as far as that goes, but has other advantages.

Thanks again!

-Mike

Edit: One more: How is the brightness holding up over the last year?
The 5050UB should have better blacks than the HT5550. Native contrast is ~4000:1 on the Epson and ~700:1 on the Benq. Dynamic is ~35 000 on the Epson and ~5000:1 on the Benq.

https://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/benq-ht5550-vs-epson-home-cinema-5050ub-comparison-review/
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-HC5050UB-vBenQ-HT5550.htm

The only option to better blacks is used JVC (in this budget).

What color are the walls in the room it's being used right now?

·
Just this guy, you know?
20 Posts
The 5050UB should have better blacks than the HT5550.
https://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/benq-ht5550-vs-epson-home-cinema-5050ub-comparison-review/

I was referring to my current office hand-me-down Epson Powerlite 1261W for the black levels, and I haven't messed with it much to optimize picture quality, so I'm sure it could be better. I do get that the newer home theater Epsons would beat the HT5550 for black levels, but think that the overall package on the Benq might be better for my situation. I'll be sure to check out those reviews though, thanks!

Right now, the walls are builder beige, but we will be going to a combo of dark grey and very dark blue in the near future, so I think the reflective light should be pretty low overall.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The 5050UB should have better blacks than the HT5550. Native contrast is ~4000:1 on the Epson and ~700:1 on the Benq. Dynamic is ~35 000 on the Epson and ~5000:1 on the Benq.

F
If you're concerned about money be careful with the JVC advice re: replacement bulbs they're outrageously expensive compared to Epson bulbs or most any other manufacturer's bulbs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I fired up the W5700 last night to watch a movie and I saw a faint circle in the center on a black background. Yup, it's a dust blob all right. I zoomed in (to a small image) and found a bunch of them, mostly outside the viewing area of the chip in the top left corner and not visible on content. I'm absolutely amazed. I moved away from LCD to DLP for a dust blob-free life, and now this. My BenQ is on a rear shelf in a very clean AV room in which you could eat off the floor. We do have a dog in the house, so that might be a contributing factor, but who knows? These have only appeared since I sent the unit to the Netherlands for 1.0.1 firmware update a couple of weeks ago, so maybe dust got in then.

Has anyone else had problems? Any suggestions? I've clearly now got to ship this unit back to BenQ for a clean under warranty.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I fired up the W5700 last night to watch a movie and I saw a faint circle in the center on a black background. Yup, it's a dust blob all right. I zoomed in (to a small image) and found a bunch of them, mostly outside the viewing area of the chip in the top left corner and not visible on content. I'm absolutely amazed. I moved away from LCD to DLP for a dust blob-free life, and now this. My BenQ is on a rear shelf in a very clean AV room in which you could eat off the floor. We do have a dog in the house, so that might be a contributing factor, but who knows? These have only appeared since I sent the unit to the Netherlands for 1.0.1 firmware update a couple of weeks ago, so maybe dust got in then.

Has anyone else had problems? Any suggestions? I've clearly now got to ship this unit back to BenQ for a clean under warranty.
Try high altitude mode. DO NOT blow compressed air into the projector. If that doesn't work send it to Benq. DLP light tunnels are not hermetically sealed, dust can still get in. It's less likely than 3LCD.

You can build a hush box with filters.

·
Just this guy, you know?
20 Posts
Try high altitude mode.
Your comment about high altitude mode got me looking in to that, since I am at high altitude (~6200ft). I can't seem to find anything about the DB rating for that mode... Does anyone have any idea on how much louder it is? I was already a little concerned about the comments about the noise on this one, and now it seems that I'd have to run it in an even noisier mode. :eek:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Your comment about high altitude mode got me looking in to that, since I am at high altitude (~6200ft). I can't seem to find anything about the DB rating for that mode... Does anyone have any idea on how much louder it is? I was already a little concerned about the comments about the noise on this one, and now it seems that I'd have to run it in an even noisier mode. :eek:
I run mine in that mode and yes its certainly noticeable in quiet moments. I'm used to it tho and dont really find it a problem and I'm easily distracted.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Don't use all the time, just until the dust blob goes away. Half an hour or an hour.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try high altitude mode. DO NOT blow compressed air into the projector. If that doesn't work send it to Benq. DLP light tunnels are not hermetically sealed, dust can still get in. It's less likely than 3LCD.

You can build a hush box with filters.
Thanks, noob00224. I never use those compressed air cans, so no worries there. I tried High Altitude for a few minutes last night, but I see you suggest 1/2 - 1 hour. I'll give it a longer blast tonight.

None of the particles show up like LCD blobs, in fact they're hardly visible at all, but I need to sort this out. I still think something happened on the round trip for the firmware update because it all seems a bit odd - the lens cap came back slightly damaged too. I've opened a ticket with BQ.

·
Just this guy, you know?
20 Posts
Don't use all the time, just until the dust blob goes away. Half an hour or an hour.
I'm not the person with the dust blobs, just someone thinking about getting this PQ, and I do live at high altitude, so I assume I should run it in high altitude mode all the time? Or do you think it's not really necessary?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
1381 - 1400 of 1467 Posts