AVS Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1467 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hello, Would the BENQ HT5550 be suitable for a 130 inch fixed screen with 2:35:1 aspect ratio?
I was looking at the HT3550 but apparently it only works with 16:9 aspect ratio screens. Can anyone confirm either way?

thanks,
Either will work fine without lens as long as you only watch wide AR films which are the majority. Might have to deal with some obscured menus tho. I have a 16x9 screen but with a removeable mask for 2.x. I haven't had it off in quite some time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Another recent review:

https://h-m-entertainment.com/benq-ht5550-review

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Any decent reviewer shouldn't just list the specs, they must know that these kind of numbers are just for marketing: "With a contrast ratio of 100,000:1 along with the help of the Dynamic Iris this unit offers deep blacks and great shadow details that are unique in this category."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any decent reviewer shouldn't just list the specs, they must know that these kind of numbers are just for marketing: "With a contrast ratio of 100,000:1 along with the help of the Dynamic Iris this unit offers deep blacks and great shadow details that are unique in this category."
I totally agree with MDesigns: That 'review' seems done for marketing purporses only. No measurements of any kind (probably no real testing at all) and all the pictures are BenQ's marketing material. It's possible that the 'review' was done with zero hands-on time with the actual projector.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I totally agree with MDesigns: That 'review' seems done for marketing purporses only. No measurements of any kind (probably no real testing at all) and all the pictures are BenQ's marketing material. It's possible that the 'review' was done with zero hands-on time with the actual projector.

Did you read it? They tested it for colour gamut, lumens, and input lag.

No, it's not as thorough as some reviews, but it is another review.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you read it? They tested it for colour gamut, lumens, and input lag.

No, it's not as thorough as some reviews, but it is another review.
I read it alright. No mention how any of the measurements were done or of the test setup, not a single picture of the device (or test setup) that didn't come from BenQ marketing. You could just google those results and slap them there.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I read it alright. No mention how any of the measurements were done or of the test setup, not a single picture of the device (or test setup) that didn't come from BenQ marketing. You could just google those results and slap them there.

This is what you stated: " No measurements of any kind ", when it clearly did include measurements. I agree it's not a comprehensive review but the lumens measured, for example, certainly bear no resemblance to Benq stats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, have just purchased my first 4k projector, the BenQ w5700/5550 .. really enjoying the 4k, was originally worried about brightness but seems fine so far. My question concerns HDR.. how do I know it's activated? I question this because on my Xbox One X I go into settings.. select 4k but HDR is ghosted and it even tells me my "tv" is not compatible with HDR.. yet HDR is set to auto on the BenQ.. any thoughts would be appreciated.. andy

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi guys, have just purchased my first 4k projector, the BenQ w5700/5550 .. really enjoying the 4k, was originally worried about brightness but seems fine so far. My question concerns HDR.. how do I know it's activated? I question this because on my Xbox One X I go into settings.. select 4k but HDR is ghosted and it even tells me my "tv" is not compatible with HDR.. yet HDR is set to auto on the BenQ.. any thoughts would be appreciated.. andy
Most likely its your HDMI cable or the source its connected to doesn't support HDR (i.e. your AVR). Try a different cable, or connecting the source directly to the projector. When you're in HDR mode, you'll hear the light engine shift positions and the screen will blank for a few seconds. It should say HDR10 in the upper left. Also, if you go into the menu settings, some of the options will be grayed out when you're in an HDR picture mode.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah one of the menu items will show hdr. Going by memory, menu then one click left??? And you wont necessarily hear the click click and the pause, depends on how you have it set up.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The projector Information Menu should show stats on the incoming signal including whether or not it is HDR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for your help.. checked all my cables and all are HDMI 2.0 from projector to av and devices to av.. I did notice thou that my av only had one input that supports hdcp2.2 and after a lot of rearranging of cables still no luck. Of course I made the assumption that hdcp2.2 support also equated to HDR support and found that my av receiver does not support HDR.. grr

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for your help.. checked all my cables and all are HDMI 2.0 from projector to av and devices to av.. I did notice thou that my av only had one input that supports hdcp2.2 and after a lot of rearranging of cables still no luck. Of course I made the assumption that hdcp2.2 support also equated to HDR support and found that my av receiver does not support HDR.. grr
Had some similar head scratching with passing 10 bit and good luck finding documentation for that, sent it back!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I use an an older receiver that has no HDMI inputs. I purchased one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNKF7C8/

and I use it's coax out to feed audio to my receiver. The HDMI switch has full 18gbps/HDR capability. It also supports 5.1/ARC which may be useful for your receiver.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've got about 250 hours on the clock now with my HT5550 and I have to say I'm loving this projector more and more by the day, and I just thought I'd share some reflections.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned on here that I had some dust in the light path. This was quickly dealt with by BenQ and all is clean and back to normal now. My PJ is actually an ex-review unit (long story), so I believe the dust ingress was probably due to a previous user and so at first I didn't notice the low-grade bubbles against a black background.

Despite some excellent suggestions here on the forum for settings in HDR mode (and thanks again to Bachelor), I eventually settled on the ProjectorReviews recommendations for their 'Best HDR Mode' which seemed best for my current room until I can get my unit calibrated. These settings seem to generally solve the color oversaturation problems I was experiencing with UHD discs in HDR10 picture mode.

Some reviews say that HDR is not competent enough on this projector - which may prove to be the case on paper - but subjectively I think the HT5550 does an amazing job with specular highlights and solitary bright peaks against dark backgrounds, particularly for this price category. I also think the WCG engaged can deliver even more gorgeous colors than when not deployed. I was comparing the 1080p BD of Valerian last night to the 4K disc and the HT5550 appears to render extraordinarily deep, subtle and accurate colors when compared to playing the SDR BD. Black levels are subjectively quite competent too - they make outer space look quite inky on 2001 and Apollo 13. I'm also constantly impressed with how much shadow detail is displayed in dark interior scenes on many discs.

It would be great to hear other owners' general thoughts after a few months of ownership...

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've got about 250 hours on the clock now with my HT5550 and I have to say I'm loving this projector more and more by the day, and I just thought I'd share some reflections.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned on here that I had some dust in the light path. This was quickly dealt with by BenQ and all is clean and back to normal now. My PJ is actually an ex-review unit (long story), so I believe the dust ingress was probably due to a previous user and so at first I didn't notice the low-grade bubbles against a black background.

Despite some excellent suggestions here on the forum for settings in HDR mode (and thanks again to Bachelor), I eventually settled on the ProjectorReviews recommendations for their 'Best HDR Mode' which seemed best for my current room until I can get my unit calibrated. These settings seem to generally solve the color oversaturation problems I was experiencing with UHD discs in HDR10 picture mode.

Some reviews say that HDR is not competent enough on this projector - which may prove to be the case on paper - but subjectively I think the HT5550 does an amazing job with specular highlights and solitary bright peaks against dark backgrounds, particularly for this price category. I also think the WCG engaged can deliver even more gorgeous colors than when not deployed. I was comparing the 1080p BD of Valerian last night to the 4K disc and the HT5550 appears to render extraordinarily deep, subtle and accurate colors when compared to playing the SDR BD. Black levels are subjectively quite competent too - they make outer space look quite inky on 2001 and Apollo 13. I'm also constantly impressed with how much shadow detail is displayed in dark interior scenes on many discs.

It would be great to hear other owners' general thoughts after a few months of ownership...
I've owned mine pretty much since launch (April 2019) and have been very pleased with it. My first unit developed a stuck micromirror, and BenQ replaced it free of charge. I've been pretty happy with the performance, although do tend to see some scenes in HDR where faces look at a bit orange-ish. I think this is due to the reds being off, I haven't calibrated my unit or even tried other settings than default; I'll need to give those a try.

For the price, I really have no complaints. Is it perfect? No, but I think its a big improvement over my last projector (Vivitek HK2288). In Normal mode, it is a little noisy, but not terrible, yes the iris is distracting, and I wish it was a little bit brighter, but overall its one of the better projectors I've owned. It's the first time I felt like I had a better visual movie experience at home vs. the theater. I also am not a fan of LCD projectors, I owned the Epson 2040, which was nice, but motion blur, judder and DSE drove me absolutely crazy. I'd rather sacrifice a little image quality to have better motion clarity.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've owned mine pretty much since launch (April 2019) and have been very pleased with it. My first unit developed a stuck micromirror, and BenQ replaced it free of charge. I've been pretty happy with the performance, although do tend to see some scenes in HDR where faces look at a bit orange-ish. I think this is due to the reds being off, I haven't calibrated my unit or even tried other settings than default; I'll need to give those a try.

For the price, I really have no complaints. Is it perfect? No, but I think its a big improvement over my last projector (Vivitek HK2288). In Normal mode, it is a little noisy, but not terrible, yes the iris is distracting, and I wish it was a little bit brighter, but overall its one of the better projectors I've owned. It's the first time I felt like I had a better visual movie experience at home vs. the theater. I also am not a fan of LCD projectors, I owned the Epson 2040, which was nice, but motion blur, judder and DSE drove me absolutely crazy. I'd rather sacrifice a little image quality to have better motion clarity.
Yes definitely a bit noisy, Diablo. Also, I've started using Middle setting for the iris so that on-screen pumping isn't too obvious.

1421 - 1440 of 1467 Posts