AVS Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 1487 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all need some advice. I have a W5700/HT5550 that has developed the following (see photos). I think its a stuck DMD mirror. It could be a dust blob but I dont think so. I am just out of warranty for repair (I did ask benq for some good will but they just directed me to a service center). I have the tools and skills to replace the DMD myself but I am not sure of the part number I need to purchase or a possible supplier. Would anyone be able to advice on this part number for the DMD I need.
As far as I know, BenQ just doesn't sell DMD to end-users for replacement. Maybe you could contact their customer service directly and ask for an OOW service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I need some help...any answer would be much appreciated.
I have w5700 now for 2 weeks and generally I'm impressed with overall picture quality, performance and the colors. I upgraded from w1720 after owning it for a couple of weeks.
Don't get me wrong w1720 was also great I just got a really good offer for w5700 and decided to go for it.
The only "issue" I found with w5700 is regarding the focus uniformity. I found some posts with this topic already, but no real conclusion.
So the thing is that it is impossible to focus upper left corner and lower right corner simultaneously.
When one is in razor sharp focus the other one is not.
This is something that is only visible when viewing text (like menu) and not visible when watching movies or even when just looking at the test grid.
Also with (menu) text the focus mismatch is hardly visible from the viewing distance.
I try to make a "compromise" focus when both sides are let's say acceptable.
I'm quite sure it is not placement issue, I really place it rectangular on the screen and only use some lens shift.
I've been searching over the internet for a week now and found that some people experience similar stuff, so I'm wondering if this is a normal phenomenon and I'm just too picky or is this considered as a defect.
I experienced similar focus mismatch with my previous w1720 but since it is a much less expensive model I took that in to consideration.
I hoped the focus uniformity is going to be much better with w5700.
On the other hand in comparison with let's say LG HF65LSR UST projector the w5700 focus is much much, much better...absolutely smudged edges with LG!
As far as I read also high projectors like optoma P1 or Benq x12000 are also not able to completely keep the entire image in focus but are close..
So my question is, what are experiences from other users and your thoughts on focus uniformity?
What is considered tolerable?
When should you return the unit to benq?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I need some help...any answer would be much appreciated.

I have w5700 now for 2 weeks and generally I'm impressed with overall picture quality, performance and the colors. I upgraded from w1720 after owning it for a couple of weeks.

Don't get me wrong w1720 was also great I just got a really good offer for w5700 and decided to go for it.

The only "issue" I found with w5700 is regarding the focus uniformity. I found some posts with this topic already, but no real conclusion.

So the thing is that it is impossible to focus upper left corner and lower right corner simultaneously.

This is something that is only visible when viewing text (like menu) and not visible when watching movies or even when just looking at the test grid.

Also with (menu) text the focus mismatch is hardly visible from the viewing distance.

I'm quite sure it is not placement issue, I really place it rectangular on the screen and only use some lens shift.

I've been searching over the internet for a week now and found that some people experience similar stuff, so I'm wondering if this is a normal phenomenon and I'm just too picky or is this considered as a defect.

I experienced similar focus mismatch with my previous w1720 but since it is a much less expensive model I took that in to consideration.

On the other hand in comparison with let's say LG HF65LSR UST projector the w5700 focus is much much, much better...absolutely smudged edges with LG!

As far as I read also high projectors like optoma P1 or Benq x12000 are also not able to completely keep the entire image in focus but are close..

So my question is, what are experiences from other users and your thoughts on focus uniformity?

Mine has the issue too, I don't know if it is fixable. I also find that the focus ring is extremely sensitive, which may be compounding the issue.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
It's not unusual with projector's lenses in this price range.

What can contribute if the screen and projector are not set up correctly. The projector must be perpendicular to the screen, level, and the screen must also be level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's not unusual with projector's lenses in this price range.

What can contribute if the screen and projector are not set up correctly. The projector must be perpendicular to the screen, level, and the screen must also be level.
I figured...the price range of sub $3000 for a PJ as much as it seems expensive it is still quite cheep compared to $18000 for a JVC DLA NX9...from what I read even hi-end BenQ PJs achieve "almost" edge to edge focus, meaning that it is still not perfect.
Since also my ex w1720 performed similarly I guess I just expected too much, a TV level of uniform sharpness.
I've attached some photos of the best I could do regarding the focus after 30min or so playing with the focus. I agree with diablo, focus knob is extremely sensitive, 1mm turn can cause a dramatic effect on the image sharpness.
To be perfectly honest I did not expect the colors and overall clarity to amaze me as much as it eventually did...however I did expect CA to be less pronounced and focus to be more even.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I figured...the price range of sub $3000 for a PJ as much as it seems expensive it is still quite cheep compared to $18000 for a JVC DLA NX9...from what I read even hi-end BenQ PJs achieve "almost" edge to edge focus, meaning that it is still not perfect.
Since also my ex w1720 performed similarly I guess I just expected too much, a TV level of uniform sharpness.
I've attached some photos of the best I could do regarding the focus after 30min or so playing with the focus. I agree with diablo, focus knob is extremely sensitive, 1mm turn can cause a dramatic effect on the image sharpness.
To be perfectly honest I did not expect the colors and overall clarity to amaze me as much as it eventually did...however I did expect CA to be less pronounced and focus to be more even.
Most of what's happening on the screen is in the center of the screen. The recommendation is to focus about 1/3rd from the center, after the projector has been running for at least 30 minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most of what's happening on the screen is in the center of the screen. The recommendation is to focus about 1/3rd from the center, after the projector has been running for at least 30 minutes.
Thanks for the advice.
I did as you instructed and put my main focus on the centre (around 1/3 from the centre). I then still refocused a bit to also get upper left and bottom right as much in focus as possible.
I'm now able to get the overall picture uniformly focused enough to display a word file without being bothered too much by the "more soft corners" (I attached an example).
The still picture of text is now normally readable from half of my normal viewing distance, so I suppose that this should also be good enough for viewing a moving picture (movie) from my normal viewing distance (3.5m, 106" screen).
While the focus is still not perfect I somehow came to accept it since I've seen worse with Optoma P1 or LG...

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Guys asking this in several threads. Wondering if ht5550 is worth the extra money over cheaper brother ht3550. Evaluated ht3550 for few weeks, but it had a defect (dead pixels at very bottom line) so had to return it. Liked the sharpness of ht3550 (beats epson 5050UB big time) but also saw the focus uniformity (unable to focus left and right corners) and RBE was very noticable. Some reviewer said RBE is much less on the step up ht5550 model. So wondering if anybody can confirm that? I dont see anything in the color wheel that would suddenly eliminate RBE in the more expensive model.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Guys asking this in several threads. Wondering if ht5550 is worth the extra money over cheaper brother ht3550. Evaluated ht3550 for few weeks, but it had a defect (dead pixels at very bottom line) so had to return it. Liked the sharpness of ht3550 (beats epson 5050UB big time) but also saw the focus uniformity (unable to focus left and right corners) and RBE was very noticable. Some reviewer said RBE is much less on the step up ht5550 model. So wondering if anybody can confirm that? I dont see anything in the color wheel that would suddenly eliminate RBE in the more expensive model.
I haven't seen the 3550 in person, but i can say that the 5550 I hardly ever notice RBE. Occasionally I will see it in bright areas of a dark scene, if i dart my eyes back and forth.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
If you say RBE on on the HT3550 it's likely you'll see on the 5550 as well. So if DLP color wheel and 3LCD are out of the picture, maybe look at LCoS, Sony or JVC. Native 4K are expensive, maybe try a used JVC.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is another way :) Return back everything and go back to my beloved benq w1070. No screen uniformity issues, very little RBE.. Then wait until say epson develops a better model which is more 4k looking as apposed to 1080p+ looking. Seriously thinking of that.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I’ve seen both back to back but... sorry I didn’t think either had better or worse RBE as I didn’t have issues with either. My guess is if you’re THAT sensitive to RBE you might just need to skip DLP altogether.

Outside of that— the Ht5550 and HT3550 are similar in a lot of ways but the Ht5550 is a definite step up. You certainly aren’t going to see a dramatic difference in picture quality between the two as they both use the same core technology and the same dmd. But everything on the Ht5550 is just a little better / more refined. It has a better color wheel meaning less reliance on the wide color filter. Optics are altogether better meaning a sharper image. Optics and lamp placement also contribute to an overall higher contrast. The chassis is better designed allowing for quieter operation as well as significant lens shift/zoom. It’s just a higher end projector. Whether or not that’s worth an extra grand is up to you.

Reactions: zendalex

·
Registered
92 Posts
If RBE is not your problem, then HT3550 is less about 10nits brightness than HT5550. I had both at once. For my experience HT5550 has better stable firmware. Also you need to consider the thow ratio for your environment. Otherwise, they are pretty identical.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks vm for this info. But wondering how according to the spec the 5550 is actually lower lumens output than 3550.
Btw, do you somehow relate RBE to light output?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I always calibrate my DLP projectors by spectrometer to ensure the RGB output are even witch also made RBE reduce to the very low level. For me, I am not the one always bothering by RBE. But for a sensitive one maybe RBE need to be concerned . Better check it by your own eyes.

BenQ announced the Lumens output of H5550 is lower then HT3550, However for my measurement and other professional website has been measured the different results.

Thanks vm for this info. But wondering how according to the spec the 5550 is actually lower lumens output than 3550.
Btw, do you somehow relate RBE to light output?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
Greetings.

New to the BenQ universe and appreciate some kind advice on the proper settings for viewing HDR contents in a dark environment.

1. Is this the recommended setting for best out the box viewing experience? How good is it?
HDR ON
HDR brightness levels=0
Brilliant Colour=OFF
WCG=ON
2. If not, how to use these settings correctly?

3. There appears to be three settings that affect the Brightness/Contrast levels: HDR brightness levels, Brilliant Colour, and Brightness/Contrast setting. What's are the relative merits/weakness of each?

4. What's the considered opinion regarding the use of SDR/BT2020 signal with this projector? Or turning off HDR?

5. How do owners find the HDR performance? As bad as what was stated in the Projector Central review article? Has this issue been fixed?
...Somewhat surprisingly, HDR10 with WCG turned on... delivered roughly 54% in HDR10 mode with Brilliant Color on and 57% with it off...
6. Any other tips?

Many thanks and best regards,

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Greetings.

New to the BenQ universe and appreciate some kind advice on the proper settings for viewing HDR contents in a dark environment.

1. Is this the recommended setting for best out the box viewing experience? How good is it?

3. There appears to be three settings that affect the Brightness/Contrast levels: HDR brightness levels, Brilliant Colour, and Brightness/Contrast setting. What's are the relative merits/weakness of each?

4. What's the considered opinion regarding the use of SDR/BT2020 signal with this projector? Or turning off HDR?

5. How do owners find the HDR performance? As bad as what was stated in the Projector Central review article? Has this issue been fixed?

6. Any other tips?

Hm.. not sure about the pjc review. Check this one out for detailed measurements of SDR and HDR performance:

Reactions: noob00224

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Greetings.

6. Any other tips?

For HDR content, I"m using the settings you shared. Feel free to turn some on/off and see what change they make in your environment.

I keep the contrast and brightness at default 50.

I didn't like sending SDR/BT2020 and turning HDR off. This still relies on your bluray player to tone map the HDR content. I've tried the Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820 and with both prefer to keep HDR on as the HDR tone mapping in the HT5550 is good. I even tried the Panasonic optimizer but preferred it off and moved that player to another room

I am using normal light mode with dynamic iris set to high. I think it provides the best blacks. I think the HDR performance is quite good. I do occasionally have over saturated blues that appear to be clipping. HDR content is probably 90% of what I watch on it.

What are you using for a source? How big is your screen?

1461 - 1480 of 1487 Posts