AVS Forum banner

1481 - 1500 of 1505 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hm.. not sure about the pjc review. Check this one out for detailed measurements of SDR and HDR performance:
Greetings Sage,
Many thanks for sharing your review article.
Best regards,

·
Registered
480 Posts
For HDR content, I"m using the settings you shared. Feel free to turn some on/off and see what change they make in your environment.
I keep the contrast and brightness at default 50.
I didn't like sending SDR/BT2020 and turning HDR off. This still relies on your bluray player to tone map the HDR content. I've tried the Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820 and with both prefer to keep HDR on as the HDR tone mapping in the HT5550 is good. I even tried the Panasonic optimizer but preferred it off and moved that player to another room
I am using normal light mode with dynamic iris set to high. I think it provides the best blacks. I think the HDR performance is quite good. I do occasionally have over saturated blues that appear to be clipping. HDR content is probably 90% of what I watch on it.
What are you using for a source? How big is your screen?
Greetings Bachelor, thanks for the kind reply.

I'm currently using the i965L, sort of a bigger cousin of W5700 powered by a 3000lm laser engine, together with a 120" screen. I have both the ub820 and x800m2. Trying to decide if the W5700 or the X12000 would be a more suitable candidadte to replace the antique AE4000.

1. Thank you for sharing the HDR and SDR calibrations. I'll use these as a guide and post some pictures in the i965L thread. Your comments would be most welcome.

2. What would you consider to be good black level? What can the W5700 achieve, with & without DI?

3. Did you try using the DCI-P3 mode for BT709 content? Wondering if it would be possible to add more colours and create a more exciting picture using this?

4. Is there a way to create multiple HDR mode user profiles?

5. Can you help me get a grip on the lumens output in HDR mode? They seem to run all over the place, rangin from 1200km (Ekki Schmitt) to 45 nits (Matt Goldsmith). Am I looking at the correct numbers? And may I ask the size of your screen?

I'm hitting 91% of the P3 in HDR10 mode with the WCG off. When the WCG is turned on I can hit 102% and could get green a bit tighter but I don't use the WCG since it drops 10 ftl and I like a brighter image hitting at 26 ftl with it off than 16 with it on.
BTW i have noticed that when WCG is engaged 100% white nits are 30, and when OFF max nits are 45. These are measurements taken on a 120" screen with 1.1 gain
HT9060 Vs the 5550:
...ht9060: 1700 vs ht5550: 700 lumens in full p3 mode...
...In that German review they report full p3 without the filter at up to 1200 lumens. Other reviews were showing 90% with the filter at much lower lumens...
Code:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Benq-HT5550-review.htm
Final measured peak white off the screen in this mode was 30.9 ft-L (106 nits).
Code:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-display/projectors/benq-cineprime-ht5550-ultra-hd-dlp-projector-review/
In HDR mode, the peak output is 106.7733 nits with a black level of .0252 nit and 4241:1 contrast.
Code:
https://hometheaterreview.com/benq-ht5550-4k-dlp-projector-reviewed/
D.Cinema mode is best used for DCI-P3 content, but because the color filter is used in this mode, you'll only have a little over 600 lumens to work with...
Alternatively, if you're willing to live with some image inaccuracy, you can opt to enable BrilliantColor, which boosts light output by 21 percent.
Many thanks and best regards,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Greetings,

I have a question for you happy HT5550 owners.

Did Benq ever released the firmware update that added anamorphic lens strech modes on the HT5550?

I am thinking of finally upgrading my aging Benq W6000 to a UHD capable projector but I want to continue to use my cylindrical anamorphic lens, I was considering the Epson 5050UB but I just learned it does not support anamorphic strech modes, I have to jump to the 6050UB for this feature.

I tried to google if the firmware update on the 5550HT was indeed released but I found very little info on it, confirmation will be appreciated

Regards

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Is the difference in movement shown in this comparison real?
How good is the benq movement in 24hz?
The epson movement looks a mess here.
Where does the Epson looks like a mess, it's a 30m video.

Someone may say that I'm biased, the 5050UB is generally a better projector in practically all areas, not even close. Unless there is a huge screen AND seating is too close it's not a problem, in regards to the screen door effect. If screen is large the Benq will have trouble lighting it up, so one makes the other less likely. Although some seem to be ok with a lower powered screen.

First video is a stress test where it shows the kind of fast motion is required so 3LCD (Epson) shows it's limits. The general comparison is valid for 3LCD and DLP in general.
Second video is for lag between 4K DLP (in 4K) and (4K) 3LCD. Besides lag it also shows the motion handling.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Watch the time sequence 16:05-16:20 min.
If you're talking about the stutter , something else is the issue, not the projector. 3LCD is used for sports by many people.
With 3LCD you may get blur in fast moving scenes, but stutter/judder performs better on 3LCD because, in 24p movies during panning shots where the 24 frames are not enough to capture a smooth motion, the blur helps, while DLP shows the frames more clearly/distinct, and the stutter is more visible.
That time sequence is not considered panning, there should be no issue motion/stutter on any projector, DLP/3LCD, etc.
There are many videos with Epson and motion, the 5050UB is not worse than them, 5050 is top of the line, with only 6050 topping it, but it's basically the same projector.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yesterday I calibrated the vpr in CINEMA (REC.709), as we know the projector in this mode is already factory pre-calibrated and actually measuring with my i1Displaypro and with Chromapure 3 I could see that in fact both grayscale and gamut were in place, but being a fussy I wanted to do much better I started using avshd test patterns by first adjusting the brightness to 51 and the contrast to 49, iris disabled (then reactivated on MIDDLE after calibration), gamma on 2.3 (it is the only one that approaches 2.22), brilliant color on OFF, sharpness on 5, lamp on ECONOMIC... on a 244 cm screen. basic (110"), gain 1.2, I had 63 cd/m2 pre calibration, post calibration about 59, these are the results:

t IMG20201021144022.jpg IMG20201021144026.jpg IMG20201021144946.jpg IMG20201001194350.jpg IMG20201001201753.jpg IMG20201001202707.jpg IMG20201001200239.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Honestly I didn't notice, but we all know that unfortunately the native contrast of dlp is quite step.....also measured D. CINEMA pre calibration actually reaches 100% of the DCI-P3, the nits unfortunately drop, on my screen from 110" to just under 70

IMG20201021152847.jpg

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Chris Majestic reviews the HT5550:

“The first thing you’ll notice is the BenQ is much sharper than the Epson (5050). Like, WAY sharper!”

Oh... god... does Chris know what he’s done? Haha! :)

Reactions: DunMunro

·
Registered
78 Posts
Any others with more detail / analysis? I've read the PJC review but would also like to see a video format review.
E.g. how much RBE, how dim to hit P3, noise levels. etc.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Any others with more detail / analysis? I've read the PJC review but would also like to see a video format review.
E.g. how much RBE, how dim to hit P3, noise levels. etc.
This might help:

(use google chrome's auto translate for language of choice)

Related youtube video:

(turn on CC and use the autotranslate feature for language of choice)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Iam using Madvr tone mapping with this projector, however i noticed that in the information the vpr tells me that i am using the color space BT.709 and not BT.2020, it seems that the vpr goes into BT.2020 only when it receives a signal in HDR, is there any way I can make the projector detect the BT.2020 color space when I use madvr tone mapping?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Iam using Madvr tone mapping with this projector, however i noticed that in the information the vpr tells me that i am using the color space BT.709 and not BT.2020, it seems that the vpr goes into BT.2020 only when it receives a signal in HDR, is there any way I can make the projector detect the BT.2020 color space when I use madvr tone mapping?
I noticed this as well when using my Panasonic UB820 to remap HDR to SDR, it still reports it at BT.709...it honestly didn't look great either. There might be something I'm missing, but I decided to leave it in normal HDR and let the BenQ do its own tone mapping.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Are there any good tutorials or instructions for how to calibrate in HDR? SDR I'm less worried about because of the factory calibration for Cinema and D. Cinema modes.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Are there any good tutorials or instructions for how to calibrate in HDR? SDR I'm less worried about because of the factory calibration for Cinema and D. Cinema modes.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
I use hdr test patterns from diversified video solutions. HDR isn't too much different on the Benq. You have the same grayscale and cms controls. There is the HDR brightness control that I keep at 0. I used to use -2.

1481 - 1500 of 1505 Posts