AVS Forum banner

1501 - 1520 of 1584 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Iam using Madvr tone mapping with this projector, however i noticed that in the information the vpr tells me that i am using the color space BT.709 and not BT.2020, it seems that the vpr goes into BT.2020 only when it receives a signal in HDR, is there any way I can make the projector detect the BT.2020 color space when I use madvr tone mapping?
tone map HDR using pixel shaders
HDR is converted to SDR through combined tone mapping, gamut mapping and transfer function conversion. The display receives SDR content. output video in HDR format: The display receives HDR content, but the HDR source is tone mapped/downconverted to the target specs.

It's a check box on the HDR settings under devices
Also, configure the calibration of the device to BT.2020 for HDR signals:
4K UHD Display:
  • primaries / gamut: BT.709 (Auto/Normal) / BT.2020 (Wide/Extended/Native)
  • transfer function / gamma: pure power curve 2.20

·
Registered
179 Posts
I know Madvr well, I use a 3dlut in both BT.709 and SDR DCI-P3, but even using this display is already calibrated, the vpr always gives me the BT.709 color space, this happens because the BENQ unlike SONY and JVC you can't choose between BT.709 and BT.2020, independently, but it only goes to BT.2020 when it goes to HDR

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes I have calibrated my CMS and still have some content that have a clipping levels of blue. I can't get rid of it and just have accepted it.
Thanks for the confirmation, so it's how I thought it was the vpr that in HDR has excessive saturation of blue even post calibration

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just received my refurbished (but most likely technically brand new) HT5550 / W5700 and it is an amazing upgrade compared to my 7 year old W1070. Sadly it did come with firmware 1.0.0 and most likely is also missing the TI firmware update for the dynamic iris, so I will need to send it back to get updated.

Ethernet Port

Hello Everyone,

My Projector is still in the box and I was reading the manual but there is not much information on the Ethernet Port. What would this be used for or better yet, how is it used? I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed. I am currently on page 19 of this thread and so far nothing on the subject.

Thanks in advance!

Manny
I am also wondering about the use of the RJ45 (ethernet) port.I have it setup in Home Assistant using PJLink at the moment, which allows for turning the projector on/off, setting the input and muting the video and audio. The Home Assistant integration uses a rather small Python program which I was looking at extending to support more features, but it seems PJLink has a rather limited amount of commands according to the documentation.
When on Windows (doesn't seem to work on linux due to Flash) navigating to the IP address of the projector in a browser will open up an interface that allows you to control projector which is uses Crestron RoomView Connected it seems.
So it seems that the HT5550 / W5700 support Crestron as well as PJLink. The question I have, is if it also supports RS232 over LAN similar to other BenQ projectors.

Something else that I think is interesting for many people in this thread. There seem to be many questions on how to detect if you have the latest TI firmware that improves the Dynamic Iris. Some have suggested you don't have the option to change the dynamic iris setting to low/medium/high without the newer firmware, but that is incorrect as far as I know. What caught my attention when looking at the projectors WebUI, is that the "Info" has a field for "TI/LAN FW version", which for me shows "1.0.0/0.18". This is a unit manufactured in March of 2019 and does not seem to have been updated at all, as the firmware version found in the on screen menu is also 1.0.0. I think it would be interesting if more people could report back what TI/LAN firmware versions they have so we could keep better track of what those latest versions along with the regular user upgradable. FYI, I have been told that I should not install firmware from the BenQ US website (I am in Western Europe), which seems to indicate there might be different sets of firmware for different regions.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I would like to hear some thoughts of owners on the W5700/HT5550 please. Are you happy with it? Was it the upgrade you were looking for? Does it look much better than your previous projector? Is the sharpness really a standout?

I have had a Benq W5000 (1080p) for 12+ years and it has been a tank and a great performer. I am aware of the limitations of the smaller DLP chip in the HT5550/W5700, black levels, etc. And also what the options for other projectors are. I have a true bat cave to help with the black levels, I know the only way I will know is to give one a try, thought I would ask to see what the feedback is. I have a couple 4K OLED sets by LG and hope someday to see a projector look that good:)

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Guess all the owners have been enjoying the Thanksgiving holiday lol. I will do a comparison with a HT5550 vs my Benq W5000, as I have a HT5550 on the way. Now I can see with my own eyes the differences between about 12 years of technology improvement. I know the HT5550 will be sharper, but as for contrast, etc? Not sure it will hold up to the W5000, but I will have fun testing them at the same time.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I set the dynamic iris to high to get the deepest blacks. Anything else and they are too lifted for my tastes. The side effect is the pumping of the iris in some content which I've learned to accept for the better contrast ratio.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Look forward to your review Vs w5000
It will be a bit longer. The unit I bought, has focus uniformity issues that I will not accept, along with a couple other things not working correctly. It is a refurb with super low hours on it, so doing an RMA to see what can be done.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The problem of focus uniformity has been known for a long time, my unit has it too and you have to find a compromise, that I know the problem has never been solved by BENQ

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I have a brand new unit now (not a new refurb) and it is on the way. I have read the entire thread and am surprised to see the focus uniformity issue. My W5000 has no problems at all with it. Its going to be fun to do a comparison between the two projectors to see the differences as the W5000 is 12 years old.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I think the people that complain about the uniformity are using computers which the desktop and icons are a torture test for focus. I'm not using a computer and I'm happy with its focus. Plus I'm using a scope screen so I never see the corners since they are off the screen.

My real annoyance is the slow to react iris set to high. Other than that, it's fairly solid.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I would like to hear some thoughts of owners on the W5700/HT5550 please. Are you happy with it? Was it the upgrade you were looking for? Does it look much better than your previous projector? Is the sharpness really a standout
Great question, I thought that was the purpose of this thread, lol. Seriously though, I'm very interested in this projector. I currently have an Optoma UHD60 4K and I'm very happy with it but it could be I don't know what I'm missing. Anyone here upgraded from an Optoma UHD60 or UHD65? Would love to hear your thoughts on how the Benq compares to the Optoma, especially in terms of image sharpness.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I think the people that complain about the uniformity are using computers which the desktop and icons are a torture test for focus. I'm not using a computer and I'm happy with its focus. Plus I'm using a scope screen so I never see the corners since they are off the screen.

My real annoyance is the slow to react iris set to high. Other than that, it's fairly solid.
The refurb model I had for a couple days was doing exactly that with a PC hooked up to it. Even the roku homepage with the different apps you could see a big difference from the left side vs the right hand side of the screen. Some apps in focus, others not. I could get either side to focus sharp, while the other suffered and it was not minor, totally unacceptable. Along with other features not working at all, brilliant color, color temp settings, etc, I knew it had to go back. I am hoping the brand new unit does not suffer these issues. I have been waiting years to upgrade to a 4K unit, even though its not a native 4K PJ. Many of us with the W5000 have been waiting to pull the trigger on an upgrade with a new Benq, and I really will give the HT5550 a chance, but it has to outdo the W5000 enough to take its place.....

·
Registered
770 Posts
The refurb model I had for a couple days was doing exactly that with a PC hooked up to it. Even the roku homepage with the different apps you could see a big difference from the left side vs the right hand side of the screen. Some apps in focus, others not. I could get either side to focus sharp, while the other suffered and it was not minor, totally unacceptable. Along with other features not working at all, brilliant color, color temp settings, etc, I knew it had to go back. I am hoping the brand new unit does not suffer these issues. I have been waiting years to upgrade to a 4K unit, even though its not a native 4K PJ. Many of us with the W5000 have been waiting to pull the trigger on an upgrade with a new Benq, and I really will give the HT5550 a chance, but it has to outdo the W5000 enough to take its place.....
I don't mean this as a personal attack, but a lot of times the description you give indicates the projector isn't squarely aligned...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Great question, I thought that was the purpose of this thread, lol. Seriously though, I'm very interested in this projector. I currently have an Optoma UHD60 4K and I'm very happy with it but it could be I don't know what I'm missing. Anyone here upgraded from an Optoma UHD60 or UHD65? Would love to hear your thoughts on how the Benq compares to the Optoma, especially in terms of image sharpness.
I don't know that the HT5550 is going to be an upgrade vs. more of a sidegrade... I'd say the Epson 5050UB would be an "upgrade" in black level performance, but downgrade in motion handling... so a bit of pick your poison...

really the next "upgrade" would be to move to a JVC...

·
Registered
179 Posts

I use both an HTPC and an OPPO 203 and I assure you that the problem persists in both cases.....the problem of focus occurs in the upper left corner and in the lower right corner, if you focus on one, the other goes out of focus, you have to find a right compromise in adjusting the focus ring, however it is not in normal vision. note at all

·
Registered
179 Posts
Look, I went from an OPTOMA UHZ 65 (laser) to the BENQ 5700 and sincerely the BENQ wins on all fronts, especially on the dynamic black which on the OPTOMA is practically unusable, even with the latest firmware (the C17) it creates solarizations, instead with the BENQ both on LOW and MEDIUM they work great you never notice their intervention, it has a better and easily calibrated HDR management, which was not the OPTOMA

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I don't mean this as a personal attack, but a lot of times the description you give indicates the projector isn't squarely aligned...
I don't take it that way. I had the refurb aligned properly so that possibility was eliminated. Been using a front projector for 15 plus years or so now, so I have a bit of experience:)

1501 - 1520 of 1584 Posts