AVS Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 1584 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
I don't take it that way. I had the refurb aligned properly so that possibility was eliminated. Been using a front projector for 15 plus years or so now, so I have a bit of experience:)
good call... just wanted to make sure i pointed it out for everyone else reading... :) check your alignment! cheaper than sending back a unit for exchange/repair... lol

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
good call... just wanted to make sure i pointed it out for everyone else reading... :) check your alignment! cheaper than sending back a unit for exchange/repair... lol
Your feedback is appreciated as you never know who might be helped with owner comments etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am looking at the european version W5700 and have read conflicting information regarding the latest firmware. One of the dealers I have spoken to has contacted the distributor and says the latest is 1.0.4. projector manufactered in September 2020 I am suspicious that he has been quoted firmware from w2700 as all the information on UK and this forum say 1.0.1 is the latest. I cannot find any firmware information on any Benq site.
I would also like to ask how noisy the projector is when viewing HDR when the projector would be 55cm/22 inches behind my head.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Okay, been checking out the brand new unit that arrived. I have some questions.
Is the grey border still supposed to be there?
Activating Brilliant Color looks to stay the same, there is a quick flash, but really looks the same.
Does this happen with your unit?
With my W5000 you can tell immediately when turning brilliant color on and off.
Same with color temp, from warm to normal to cool, it almost looks the same, with native lamp there is a noticeable change, the refurb did the same thing.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Activating Brilliant Color looks to stay the same, there is a quick flash, but really looks the same.
Same with color temp, from warm to normal to cool, it almost looks the same, with native lamp there is a noticeable change, the refurb did the same thing.
Yes, I experience the same behavior with mine. I don't notice the grey border since my screen has a velvet border and I have my overscan around 2% on all sides.

Brilliant color doesn't do much. I have it off. I think I have it on with HDR content. I think you can see the difference in that mode a bit more.

The color temp is not set in the other temperatures. They are the same settings.

What are your initial impressions? I came from a Benq HT2050. I first had a 3550 and didn't like it and got the 5550 instead.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Yes, I experience the same behavior with mine. I don't notice the grey border since my screen has a velvet border and I have my overscan around 2% on all sides.

Brilliant color doesn't do much. I have it off. I think I have it on with HDR content. I think you can see the difference in that mode a bit more.

The color temp is not set in the other temperatures. They are the same settings.

What are your initial impressions? I came from a Benq HT2050. I first had a 3550 and didn't like it and got the 5550 instead.
I thought they had gotten rid of the grey border since launch, maybe I read that somewhere else.

It is strange that I can't tell a difference activating brilliant color, as on the Benq W5000 there is a very noticeable difference which I find useful depending on the content.

I have run both projectors at the same time with the same file playing via a roku. I block one off at the lens and then vice versa, back and forth. The W5000 is a very sharp 1080p projector, yet the HT5550 is clearly sharper and is much more pleasing to my eyes for clarity.....that is the number one thing I like better. Black levels are a bit better with the W5000 which I expected, but not a deal breaker as once I am viewing in my batcave the HT5550 really does have some major pop with the right content. I wish projectors could do Dolby Vision, the delay in HDR10 showing the video is a bit off putting when you start a film with HDR in it, but am getting used to it.

My number one complaint is still with the focus uniformity. And yes I know how to properly set up a projector lol...it is irritating to not get most of the screen in sharp focus at the same time. Yes I notice it more with a pc hooked up to it, yet even with a roku page and the apps all up there is an issue where some of the apps are in sharp focus and others are not. I need to decide if I can live with the focus issue or return the HT5550. Will spend more time with it this week and decide. The sharpness increase is addicting, I have a LG CX77" Oled along with a CX55" Oled and they are fantastic......however, seeing "4K" on the HT5550 at 120" is much better for watching movies:)

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Brilliant Color works differently on projectors with RGBRGB colour wheels, and it is used to generate intermediate colours rather than emphasizing clearer segments of the CW on some DLP projectors.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Brilliant Color works differently on projectors with RGBRGB colour wheels, and it is used to generate intermediate colours rather than emphasizing clearer segments of the CW on some DLP projectors.
Thanks! That I did not know.
I did know that the HT5550 has a six segment color wheel, vs a 7 segment color wheel on the W5000.
On the HT5550, when the Benq icon shows up after first turning on the projector, it is very dim...is this normal?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I did know that the HT5550 has a six segment color wheel, vs a 7 segment color wheel on the W5000.
On the HT5550, when the Benq icon shows up after first turning on the projector, it is very dim...is this normal?
That's just the lamp warming up, I would think.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Mine is dim as well, I think this is normal.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

·
Just this guy, you know?
21 Posts
I'm still working through some focus issues across a 120" screen, but I will definitely say that after months of waffling on whether or not to get this projector, I'm very impressed. I've had no urge to try to tweak the default settings, and even my kids that have randomly walked into the room have been like "wow, that's so... clear?"... Granted, we're coming from a crappy Epson meeting-room grade projector, but it is really very nice.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I am really liking the sharpness increase vs my W5000. I have been able to spend much more time with the HT5550 now. I do wish it had a motorized lens shift, after having that feature for 12 years on the W5000, I do miss having it. Now watch Benq announce a new successor to the HT5550 with lens shift lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Everyone,
First post here but I’m a long time lurker. I’ve had my ht5550 for a few months and have finally spent meaningful time messing around with settings during the holidays. We just picked up a PS5 and have an Apple TV 4K and oppo 103 connected to the Benq via an Anthem MRX 720.
My previous projector was an Epson 8350 with a darbee. First impressions with the benq were largely positive, the sharp image with no screen door effect was a revelation given that we sit about 9’ from a 108” screen. However, I do see the odd rainbow and there was something unsettling AT FIRST about the colour to my eye relative to my old Epson (especially HDR) mode... seems I’ve now gotten used to DLP and I would not go back to my old projector, but I’m still really struggling with HDR... to my eye the out of the box D.Cinema setting looks far better with the Apple TV or PS5 than HDR. I understand that HDR for projectors is compromised but it really bothers me that I’m somehow selling my equipment short by choosing to turn HDR off on the Benq. Is anyone else in the same boat? Cheers

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Hey Everyone,
First post here but I’m a long time lurker. I’ve had my ht5550 for a few months and have finally spent meaningful time messing around with settings during the holidays. We just picked up a PS5 and have an Apple TV 4K and oppo 103 connected to the Benq via an Anthem MRX 720.
My previous projector was an Epson 8350 with a darbee. First impressions with the benq were largely positive, the sharp image with no screen door effect was a revelation given that we sit about 9’ from a 108” screen. However, I do see the odd rainbow and there was something unsettling AT FIRST about the colour to my eye relative to my old Epson (especially HDR) mode... seems I’ve now gotten used to DLP and I would not go back to my old projector, but I’m still really struggling with HDR... to my eye the out of the box D.Cinema setting looks far better with the Apple TV or PS5 than HDR. I understand that HDR for projectors is compromised but it really bothers me that I’m somehow selling my equipment short by choosing to turn HDR off on the Benq. Is anyone else in the same boat? Cheers
The HDR Optimizer on the UB420/820/9000 4K BD player really works well for projector HDR. The UB420 will also stream Netflix and Primevideo in Canada and allows the use of the HDR Optimizer with 4K HDR streamed content.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The HDR Optimizer on the UB420/820/9000 4K BD player really works well for projector HDR.
Thanks for the recommendation, I understand the 9000 has projector specific settings that the 420 and 820 don’t appear to have. Is this an issue? I don’t need the audio upgrades available on the 9000 but I wonder if I’m giving anything up in terms of video quality by going with the 420 or 820?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, I understand the 9000 has projector specific settings that the 420 and 820 don’t appear to have. Is this an issue? I don’t need the audio upgrades available on the 9000 but I wonder if I’m giving anything up in terms of video quality by going with the 420 or 820?
I have the UB420 (paired with a UHD50) and IIRC, there's no difference between it and the UB820, however the UB9000 does have some extra features for projectors, IIRC. It might be best to check the specific forums here for more info:

The UB420 has the best 4K streaming options, IIRC, although in Canada this effectively means 4K HDR content from Netflix, Primevideo and Youtube but the UB820/9000 might not even offer this much, which is a shame because the HDR Optimizer is really nice for streamed HDR content.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I'm still working through some focus issues across a 120" screen, but I will definitely say that after months of waffling on whether or not to get this projector, I'm very impressed. I've had no urge to try to tweak the default settings, and even my kids that have randomly walked into the room have been like "wow, that's so... clear?"... Granted, we're coming from a crappy Epson meeting-room grade projector, but it is really very nice.
The focus uniformity is my biggest complaint with the HT5550. It throws a sharp image for sure and looks great overall but then if I try to split the difference in focusing then maybe subtitles are slightly soft depending on which part of the screen is more in focus. I have about 2 weeks to decide if I am going to keep it or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The focus uniformity is my biggest complaint with the HT5550. It throws a sharp image for sure and looks great overall but then if I try to split the difference in focusing then maybe subtitles are slightly soft depending on which part of the screen is more in focus. I have about 2 weeks to decide if I am going to keep it or not.
I have a tab tensioned screen and my focus with the HT-5550 is perfect from what I see. 138" diag. dark room. I'm very happy with my new PJ. BenQ has some good setup FAQs on their website.

1521 - 1540 of 1584 Posts