AVS Forum banner

1541 - 1560 of 1584 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I have a tab tensioned screen and my focus with the HT-5550 is perfect from what I see. 138" diag. dark room. I'm very happy with my new PJ. BenQ has some good setup FAQs on their website.
Have you had a PC hooked up to your PJ? I am not doubting your great focus across your screen, just curious.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Strange that in the various reviews of this projector no one has ever noticed the problem of focus uniformity.
Luck of the draw I guess, or they may not have noticed it lol. More testing coming up this week for me to help me decide to keep it or not.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Luck of the draw I guess, or they may not have noticed it lol. More testing coming up this week for me to help me decide to keep it or not.
In my opinion they have not noticed, as it is evident only on the "written", during normal viewing nothing is noticed

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
BenQ support seems pretty good... I might give that a shot here as well before you write it off...
I had bought a refurbished HT5550, and it had several issues, and I took it personally to Benq support and discussed what needed fixed in order for me to keep it. I then got a brand new unit from them, so not sure I want to try another unit...3rd times the charm? Maybe, maybe not lol.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
In my opinion they have not noticed, as it is evident only on the "written", during normal viewing nothing is noticed
Yes,it is much easier to notice with a pc hooked up. Anyway I am sure everyone who is reading this thread is tired of me talking about focus uniformity on my new projector.......I still may keep it and just live with it, as when watching an actual film etc, its not as noticeable, except on Netflix the other night with subtitles clearly being slightly out of focus in that area of screen,the series,(Dentention). Overall it does punch out a great image. I do have a bit of light spill, coming from the left side of the lens. I have the pj on a rear shelf mount at 7' high, from about 17' feet from a 116" screen. Anyone notice light spill on their projector?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes,it is much easier to notice with a pc hooked up. Anyway I am sure everyone who is reading this thread is tired of me talking about focus uniformity on my new projector.......I still may keep it and just live with it, as when watching an actual film etc, its not as noticeable, except on Netflix the other night with subtitles clearly being slightly out of focus in that area of screen,the series,(Dentention). Overall it does punch out a great image. I do have a bit of light spill, coming from the left side of the lens. I have the pj on a rear shelf mount at 7' high, from about 17' feet from a 116" screen. Anyone notice light spill on their projector?
Put about 13 hours on a new 5550 and just requested an RMA for refund. Mine has focus uniformity issues like you described. I also notice light spill as well. You can see it easily in our dark room as there is this halo-like glow around the front of the room that my old projector does not exhibit. Not a bad projector, but I don't feel it's worth the money personally.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I had bought a refurbished HT5550, and it had several issues, and I took it personally to Benq support and discussed what needed fixed in order for me to keep it. I then got a brand new unit from them, so not sure I want to try another unit...3rd times the charm? Maybe, maybe not lol.
understood for sure, that bites...

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can change as many as you want, but the focus uniformity problem, in my opinion, is present on all units, BENQ should be able to solve the problem via a firmware update, but I doubt it can be done this way ... .we also need to see if BENQ is aware of the problem or not

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
You can change as many as you want, but the focus uniformity problem, in my opinion, is present on all units, BENQ should be able to solve the problem via a firmware update, but I doubt it can be done this way ... .we also need to see if BENQ is aware of the problem or not
I am waiting to see if they want to swap the new projector out for another and give it one last shot. Benq has always been good to me with over 15 years of Benq projectors with hardly any issues in that time frame. But you could be right, maybe the next one will have the same problem, if it even goes that far.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Put about 13 hours on a new 5550 and just requested an RMA for refund. Mine has focus uniformity issues like you described. I also notice light spill as well. You can see it easily in our dark room as there is this halo-like glow around the front of the room that my old projector does not exhibit. Not a bad projector, but I don't feel it's worth the money personally.
How did you have the projector orientation? I have mine inverted on the ceiling and it has some light spill that shines right above it on the left. It is small and not distracting.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I am waiting to see if they want to swap the new projector out for another and give it one last shot. Benq has always been good to me with over 15 years of Benq projectors with hardly any issues in that time frame. But you could be right, maybe the next one will have the same problem, if it even goes that far.
Well, I decided to not try out a third projector after careful consideration.
Going side by side one last time vs my Benq W5000, I liked the increased resolution, increased brightness, and the HDR on the HT5550.
The light leakage and focus uniformity showed up too often, so bummed about having to move on.
Most people will not notice the focus uniformity, nor the light leakage as it shows up more in a very dark room.
Overall a very good projector, I hope they improve upon it with the next version that replaces the HT5550.
Benq support was fantastic as usual for me, great group of people.

·
AVS Advanced Member
165 Posts
New firmware update of 1.03 was released on the 12th of January, anyone install it ?

·
AVS Advanced Member
165 Posts
How do we install firmware updates without sending the projector back?
I think you need to have at least firmware 1.01 installed in order to do the upgrade yourself otherwise you have to send your projector to BenQ.

·
Registered
304 Posts
How do we install firmware updates without sending the projector back?
I think you need to have at least firmware 1.01 installed in order to do the upgrade yourself otherwise you have to send your projector to BenQ.
This does apply to me, but I don’t see anything in the user guide for instructions on how to update the firmware.

Edit: I’m downloading the firmware now. Hopefully it includes instructions.

·
AVS Advanced Member
165 Posts
This does apply to me, but I don’t see anything in the user guide for instructions on how to update the firmware.

What is the procedure?
You need to download the file from BenQ, unzip it and keep it in the root directory of the USB. Plug it in the rear USB 3.0 port and go to firmware update and follow the prompt. There’s also a video in the FAQ to guide you through it.
My friend’s projector is still in service with BenQ, so I can’t do it for him at the moment. But I’m interested in knowing if there are any benefits to this firmware.

Reactions: matty1137

·
Registered
179 Posts
v 1.0.3

1. Feature added:
(1-1) add anamorphic 2.4:1 and anamorphic 16:9 under installation and aspect ratio
(1-2) add HDMI Equalizer in OSD advanced setting

2. bug fix: keystone can not be saved & minor bugs

The text document with all the new features is included in the folder containing the firmware

·
Registered
770 Posts
v 1.0.3

1. Feature added:
(1-1) add anamorphic 2.4:1 and anamorphic 16:9 under installation and aspect ratio
(1-2) add HDMI Equalizer in OSD advanced setting

2. bug fix: keystone can not be saved & minor bugs

The text document with all the new features is included in the folder containing the firmware
thx!

1541 - 1560 of 1584 Posts