AVS Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 1583 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
My current firmware is 1.01 I tried to install this new one and won't work. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I placed all files in the root of the USB stick. Has anyone been able to update the firmware successfully with USB?

·
AVS Advanced Member
165 Posts
My current firmware is 1.01 I tried to install this new one and won't work. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I placed all files in the root of the USB stick. Has anyone been able to update the firmware successfully with USB?
Did you plug it in the USB 3.0 port ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes plugged in the Media USB 3. 0 port. When I hit start in menu under firmware upgrade says no upgrade available. Did anyone install this successfully from 1.01?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes plugged in the Media USB 3. 0 port. When I hit start in menu under firmware upgrade says no upgrade available. Did anyone install this successfully from 1.01?
I updated successfully from 1.01. I downloaded the most recent version of the user guide and followed the instructions from the manual. It worked just fine.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Have you guys noticed any differences from 1.0.1 to 1.0.3? I thought we already had anamorphic screen size and the hdmi equalizer with 1.0.1. Are there noticeable picture improvements like the iris? I want to update but fear it will clear out my settings. I'll need to take pictures of them before I update.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Have you guys noticed any differences from 1.0.1 to 1.0.3? I thought we already had anamorphic screen size and the hdmi equalizer with 1.0.1. Are there noticeable picture improvements like the iris? I want to update but fear it will clear out my settings. I'll need to take pictures of them before I update.
In fact, I don't see, at least on paper what improvements this firmware can bring, the only thing is the hdmi equalizer that is actually not present; who has already updated can tell us if there are actually some "hidden" improvements?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello All, I scored an open box HT5550 with only 8 hrs of lamp life for a great deal. I am coming from w1070 and have a dedicated theater room. before this, I have tested HT3550 but didnt like it compared to 1070 and returned. I scored a tk800m from Benq for $899 and still in the returnable period I like the brightness and sharpness of TK800M but dont like the color accuracy issues especially with flesh tones.

Tested the HT5550 few hours yesterday and I wuldnt say that I am blown away by the picture. I didnt make any changes to the settings, its all out of box..so I would appreciate if you could share the caliberation settings for HDR and SDR.

I like more brightness in the picture, after testing HT5550 and I went back and played the same content in w1070 with Darbee, I personally cant see any major difference. What am I missing here

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I also had a 1070 and then a 2050 for a very small improvement. I then tried the HT3550 and returned it since I wasn't too impressed with the price to performance. I then was able to see the Epson 5050 and the ht5550 in the same room and decided on the ht5550. It is sharper and i watch 90% 4k HDR content and that is where I think the improvement is over the 2050 and darbee that I had. I was using the Oppo 203 for 4k HDR converted to 1080p SDR since I like the atmos tracks on uhd discs that most regular blus don't have.

It definitely isn't brighter and if you have the 800m to directly compare, it's going to be super dim. For HDR, I like wcg turned on and dynamic iris set to high. HDR brightness at 0. The 4k pixel enhancer is like the darbee built in. I set it at 4 and at 6 for some content. Do you have firmware 1.0.1?

You can search this thread for my detailed settings for HDR and SDR.

It's still hard to beat a great 1080p projector with 1080p content. 4k HDR is where I think it performs better than a 1080p projector.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also had a 1070 and then a 2050 for a very small improvement. I then tried the HT3550 and returned it since I wasn't too impressed with the price to performance. I then was able to see the Epson 5050 and the ht5550 in the same room and decided on the ht5550. It is sharper and i watch 90% 4k HDR content and that is where I think the improvement is over the 2050 and darbee that I had. I was using the Oppo 203 for 4k HDR converted to 1080p SDR since I like the atmos tracks on uhd discs that most regular blus don't have.

It definitely isn't brighter and if you have the 800m to directly compare, it's going to be super dim. For HDR, I like wcg turned on and dynamic iris set to high. HDR brightness at 0. The 4k pixel enhancer is like the darbee built in. I set it at 4 and at 6 for some content. Do you have firmware 1.0.1?

You can search this thread for my detailed settings for HDR and SDR.

It's still hard to beat a great 1080p projector with 1080p content. 4k HDR is where I think it performs better than a 1080p projector.
Thanks Bachelor for the detailed response. Yes I have the 1.0.1 firmware and I will definitely look your settings and try it out. Interestingly we both seem to have the same components, I am also having 1070w darbee and oppo 203 for 4k/blu ray. If TK800m has little bit more color tone accuracy i would have kept that without a heart beat. BTW I got the HT5550 for $1600 including tax, so I am in a complete dilemma on price/quality perspective. Do you have any experience with TK850M?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Thanks Bachelor for the detailed response. Yes I have the 1.0.1 firmware and I will definitely look your settings and try it out. Interestingly we both seem to have the same components, I am also having 1070w darbee and oppo 203 for 4k/blu ray. If TK800m has little bit more color tone accuracy i would have kept that without a heart beat. BTW I got the HT5550 for $1600 including tax, so I am in a complete dilemma on price/quality perspective. Do you have any experience with TK850M?
I haven't seen TK850m. I would expect it to be like the HT3550 performance but brighter.

We are very similar! Let me know what questions you have as you start tinkering with it. My settings may have changed a bit since they were posted probably a year ago. I got mine 2 years ago right when they were released. What screen are you using?

I'm using a 2.35:1 silver ticket 127" screen. I zoom in on the image and use the Oppo in 21:9 cropped mode. It displays 16x9 content within the scope image so I don't have to zoom back out since it lacks lens memory. (Yes lower resolution)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't seen TK850m. I would expect it to be like the HT3550 performance but brighter.

We are very similar! Let me know what questions you have as you start tinkering with it. My settings may have changed a bit since they were posted probably a year ago. I got mine 2 years ago right when they were released. What screen are you using?

I'm using a 2.35:1 silver ticket 127" screen. I zoom in on the image and use the Oppo in 21:9 cropped mode. It displays 16x9 content within the scope image so I don't have to zoom back out since it lacks lens memory. (Yes lower resolution)
I am using Elite 110' 16:9 screen and use shield and apple tv for streaming and oppo for 4k/blu-ray, my current w1070 is 11ft away and I sit 13 ft away from the screen

Attachments

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I am using Elite 110' 16:9 screen and use shield and apple tv for streaming and oppo for 4k/blu-ray, my current w1070 is 11ft away and I sit 13 ft away from the screen
You sit too far away is the problem to see the difference! 🤪

I sit about 10 feet back from the front row. Play with the 4k pixel enhancer to see how it is like a darbee but works with 4k content. The HT5550 I had to pull farther back than the 2050 it replaced. I think it's about 14 feet back.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just installed my new Panasonic DP-UB820 4K player. With the HDR Optimizer turned ON in the Panasonic, are there any recommended settings I should change in the HT5550?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I just installed my new Panasonic DP-UB820 4K player. With the HDR Optimizer turned ON in the Panasonic, are there any recommended settings I should change in the HT5550?
Set HDR brightness to 0 and set contrast and brightness at 50.

I tried a Panasonic 820 and in the end I kept the optimizer off. I think the internal tone mapping does pretty good. Feel free to play with the different levels in the 820 and see what you think.

I moved the Panasonic to another tv and hooked back up the Oppo 203. Yes, I think the Panasonic is a tad sharper than the Oppo and looked a bit better but I use the Oppo for other features the Panasonic doesn't have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased the HT5550 and have the latest firmware 1.03.
Blu Ray Player: Sony UBP-X800M2

When I’m watching 4K movies, I’ve noticed between scenes that the colors will randomly adjust, get a bit brighter than adjust back. I’ve noticed it more frequently in dark scenes. I never noticed this on my old BenQ W1070.

Any tips would help out.

Thanks

1561 - 1580 of 1583 Posts