AVS Forum banner

1581 - 1592 of 1592 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I recently purchased the HT5550 and have the latest firmware 1.03.
Blu Ray Player: Sony UBP-X800M2

When I’m watching 4K movies, I’ve noticed between scenes that the colors will randomly adjust, get a bit brighter than adjust back. I’ve noticed it more frequently in dark scenes. I never noticed this on my old BenQ W1070.

Any tips would help out.

Thanks
Sounds like it is the dynamic iris. The response is slow and distracting. That's my one negative with this projector. The iris closes and lets less light output to get deeper blacks. I've tried setting the dynamic iris to medium, low and off but can't tolerate the raised black level so I leave it at high.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like it is the dynamic iris. The response is slow and distracting. That's my one negative with this projector. The iris closes and lets less light output to get deeper blacks. I've tried setting the dynamic iris to medium, low and off but can't tolerate the raised black level so I leave it at high.
The dynamic iris is another irritation I have with this projector. It's a totally useless feature. How did something like that make it out of QA?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone!

Motion enhancer stopped working after updating to firmware 1.0.3. Can you test this function for yourself? Everything worked great on firmware 1.0.0!

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
My experience updating to fw 1.0.3

I'm in the US. It can be downloaded from their website.
In the notes it says to call service center with vision number to verify free from compatibility problem.
So I called tech support with my serial#. They didn't know about vision numbers or compatibility checks. They also insisted I had to ship back for upgrade.
And he didn't know if the fw would help with black crush.
An HDMI eq feature was added, so what's that? I didn't know so i googled and found reference in another benq projectors manual. Sounded like some sore of brightness scaling which sounded great, I would like more detail in the blacks without raising other values.
So I attempted to upgrade myself. unzipped files, loaded to thumb drive, inserted in usb 3 slot. Nothing.
Put in usb 2 slot. Projector saw it so attempted to load. It said no valid fw's on usb.
So I pulled drive out, added the zip file, (video instructions said to unzip first) and tried usb 2 slot again. This time, it took. thumb drive might be flaky, windows did not read it the first time.
None of my parameters changed so the pics I took were unnecessary.
eq has 32 values, none seem to change the picture.
Have not tested motion enhancer yet.
notes said minor bugs were fixed. I get the half the screen disappears problem from time to time. Maybe it will fix that although that's a pretty major flaw when you lose half of the picture imo.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I bought my unit from Taiwan n on 1.0.1. Wonder if I can upgrade to the US 1.0.3 version, since there are no newer firmware at Taiwan BenQ factory site.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Recently I ran into a problem that my unit black-out for 3-4 seconds n then picture came back. It happened about 2 times during a 2 hours movie. Anybody had this problem ? If yes, any fix. ?

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Recently I ran into a problem that my unit black-out for 3-4 seconds n then picture came back. It happened about 2 times during a 2 hours movie. Anybody had this problem ? If yes, any fix. ?
Make sure to isolate that this is a projector issue. A drop out could be caused by a handshake issue between the projector and your source. A faulty hdmi cable or even a handshake problem with your AVR.

Reactions: DunMunro

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Thanks Sage for the quick reply. It’s probably the Vertex2 that did it. Maybe I should take it out of the loop to see if it is the culprit.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Welp I've joined the 4K club. Got a 5550 on the way from a member here and went ahead and ordered a new receiver, fiber HDMI cable, and mount to go along with it. I'm coming from a BenQ 1070 so this should be a nice jump in quality. Will have to mount further back but shouldn't be an issue. I'm projecting on to a 120" Silver Ticket 1.1 gain white screen. Can't wait to get everything mounted and up and running.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Good choice ! U won’t be disappointed with it’s colour n sharpness. The only thing u have to deal with is the noise of that HDR filter when engaging n off.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Haven't mounted it yet but did a quick setup and here are a few impressions:

The sharpness on this is amazing! I sit 6' from a 120" screen and the difference in sharpness between this and my old 1070 is easily apparent. Where I sit I am just at the edge of not being able to discern individual pixels on my old projector. Now I have to get right up to the screen to see them on the 5550. It's a huge jump from 1080P. 4K BD looks outstanding and when my wife saw me playing the Costa Rica 4K video off of youtube she was amazed at the clarity and color.

Uniformity is excellent and it is sharp as a tack from corner to corner.

From where I sit I can barely hear anything. Very quiet, although that may change when I hang it upside down on the ceiling.

Still dialing in the picture but black levels are improved from my old 1070. Still not completely black but very acceptable.

Also updated to the latest firmware 1.0.3. Was super easy.

So far this has been an excellent upgrade from my old 1070. Still have a few things to do to finish up the install but so far I'm really pleased.

1581 - 1592 of 1592 Posts