AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a projector to use in my living room (lots of light colors). Using a 120" screen (1.1 gain) at 15'-9" to lens. Room has some ambient light during the day as a TV, but will be reasonably dark at night for movies. I do need lens shift. I now have an Epson Pro 810 (720p) and could use more lumens. Are these good choices for me?

·
Registered
15,367 Posts
I recommend you wait 45 more days until after CEDIA to see what is new. There are several new models coming out, at least one from Mits and one from Benq I believe.

I believe the sp891 is more of a crossover projector and only has a 3x color wheel, so I recommend the Benq w6000 paired with either a High Power screen or a Gray screen. If you don't want to replace the screen, all I would say is that adding tons more brightness will not totally overcome your ambient light issue. It might help, but there isn't many home theater projectors that much brighter than the Benq w6000 anyhow around its same price.

If you wanted to spend more, take a look at the Infocus sp8602 as well, it produces a brighter best mode than the Benq.

Keep in mind that the Benq w6000's lens shift makes it so that the projector has to be placed 1/8 screen height above or below the bottom and top of the screen. This can make the Benq difficult for certain ceiling mount jobs, but it depends on ceiling height and what not, so just check that its lens shift works for you.

There is the LG cf181d, but I'm not a huge fan of it, but it isn't bad.

·
Registered
757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/20794149

Keep in mind that the Benq w6000's lens shift makes it so that the projector has to be placed generally between the bottom and top of the screen.

It can be placed 1/8 screen height above or below the screen.

·
Registered
15,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch /forum/post/20794615

It can be placed 1/8 screen height above or below the screen.

Good to know, I figured it wasn't exactly between it, but couldn't remember the distance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think a high power screen is an option due to the wide viewing angles I require. My projector shelf places the projector just about centering the screen, so just about any one with lens shift will work.

I probably will hold out for the new projectors to see what happens.

·
Registered
15,367 Posts
Yah, the HP screen is an an issue if you want really wide viewing angles.

I'm sure there are some good angular reflective screens with 1.3 to 1.5 gain, or a gray screen if you so choose to go that route.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think the OP meant the W6000 versus the SP890 and not the SP891. The SP891 has 4500 ANSI lumens with a 3000:1 contrast while the SP890 has 4000 ANSI lumens with a 50,000:1 contrast. The SP890 is very similar to the W6000 with higher lumens and only one HDMI input. With any of these you probably don't need a high gain screen, probably a gray screen and maybe even a ND filter to reduce the lumens.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It's been a while and I have a feeling that there might finally be a new model replacing the W6000. Wait till after CEDIA

·
Registered
525 Posts
well the Benq W7000 is around the corner in December hopefully and with 3D but with nearly the same specs minus a few new details and is white not black. i couldn't wait two-three months so I picked up the W6000 refurb from Benq this week. my wife is already saying it's going to be too bright. she'll like it i'm sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts