AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, guys. I am a member of a local cinema club and we want to buy a projector. The room to be used has a screen 3m wide and is quite dark (black walls). We may use it occasionaly with a 9m wide screen in an outside place.

Both models produce similar brightness cause they have almost similar lamps (260 and 280watt).

I know that Infocus has 2 great pros. Frame Interpolation and adjustable/manual iris.

We intend to project films/movies that have no action scenes etc... So I'm thinking whether Frame interpolation and manual iris are not that of an advantage for the use we want it.

On the other hand I heard that Benq dynamic iris is a bit problematic in the sense that when the subtitle colour is white the iris get affected by that...and that the dynamic iris of Benq W6000 is a bit slow... etc.

I am not experienced on projectors so I don't know if all these will be visible to the people who are going to watch. The price difference between the models is not small... so I want to read your views on that...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Without knowing the exact details of your setup, I'm thinking the Benq W6000 will be the most flexible. It is also smaller and easier to move around than the SP8602. The Iris isn't as bad as some make it out to be, at least not the one I've experience with. You can actually tweak the Iris settings of the W6000 if need be.

The SP8602 has better contrast, colors and brighter after calibration. This may or may not be of some importance to your group. If you're not overly critical of the picture quality itself, the W6000 should be more than adequate.

The w6000 is no slouch and throws a good image. The SP8602 is just more refined as a whole. At double the price, I can understand why some would buy the W6000 and save money. With the SP8602 you do get a longer factory warranty. On the other hand, you can get extended warranties on the w6000 and still save.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
Both projectors have lens shift, but the shift is not the same. The zero offset point of the W6000 is the center of the screen. The lens shift allows the projector to be placed anywhere between the top and bottom of the image. The SP8602's zero offset is the top of the image. The lens shift allows you to place the projector above the image, but not below it. Depending on how you plan to do your set up, could effect your decision. Personally I like the SP8602 better, but for your situation the W6000 might be a better choice if the lens shift limitation works for you.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4tt4n4b3 /forum/post/20876456

To give you an extra info we play black and white films... and horror films with dark scenes...

The Infocus SP8602 has the clear advantage in this area. Mixed and Dark scenes have more POP and WOW in comparison to the W6000. The million dollar question is, is it worth it too you at nearly double the cost?

The SP8602 can be used at the bottom or top of the screen. On my 120 inch screen, I have roughly 15 inches of play below or above the screen in which to place the projector.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4tt4n4b3 /forum/post/20877260

The matter is if the difference is visible to the un-trained eye of the spectators...if not then ok it's not worth it since we are not at the best on the financial department...

Yup, go for the W6000 that's discounted greatly right now. You'll be happy with image. You would have to see them both to know the differences. Having seen them both I couldn't go back to the w6000, but I know what to look for.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/20876971

The Infocus SP8602 has the clear advantage in this area. Mixed and Dark scenes have more POP and WOW in comparison to the W6000. The million dollar question is, is it worth it too you at nearly double the cost?

The SP8602 can be used at the bottom or top of the screen. On my 120 inch screen, I have roughly 15 inches of play below or above the screen in which to place the projector.

I forgot to put that in my post.
I just never think about placing a projector below a screen, even though there are a few people that do that. Yes it has to go above (inverted) or below the screen. The SP8602 just can't be placed in the screen area.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4tt4n4b3 /forum/post/20878914

One last question. We have a big white screen 9m wide 6m height. it is in an outdoor place. which of the two machines you think could cope better?

The Benq Sp890 might be the best one for this setup. You can find a refurb model around the same price as the w6000. The SP890 is EXTREMELY bright!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4tt4n4b3 /forum/post/20878967

Thanks mate but the sp890 costs twice as much in my country compared to the w6000. and costs more than the sp8602...

WOW! Yeah I'm thinking of the refurb units directly from Benq. The W6000 will go brighter as a whole compared to the SP8602, but with a greenish tint to the image. I still feel it is the most flexible. What is the gain of this large screen?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't be sure of the gain... tomorrow I am going to upload here a few pics of the screen...

I just noticed that in projectorcentral calculator pro Benq sp890 produces 16fl for a 4,5 meter wide screen in video mode...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.