AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used this forum over the years with great success. I currently have a home theater with a BENQ 8700+. While a nice projector, I think it is time to upgrade.

I am budgeting around $2,000 for a new 1080p projector. I have a 102" screen projected from the ceiling at around 13 feet.

I am looking Benq W6000 vs./or Panny PT-AE4000U or another option at the approx. $2,000 price. Your guidance / thoughts are appreciated.

Rob

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm facing a similar predicament - my main fear is RBE and black levels with the BenQ.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The good:

W6000 - lots of lumens (great for HDTV and sports), very sharp image, excellent blacks, excellent ANSI contrast, excellent for B&W material

AE4000 - excellent blacks (slightly better than W6000), frame interpolation, power focus/zooom + memory, no SD, 2yr warranty

The bad:

W6000 - possible RBE for some people, no FI, iris is sometimes visible while working, louder fan (necessary if you want bright), 1 year warranty, lots of heat output, needs calibration

AE4000 - all LCDs have convergence problems, all LCDs have color uniformity problems (bad if you ever watch B&W), dust blobs, filters to clean regularly

Remember:

- unless you have a totally light controlled room, the blacks and contrast don't matter between these machines.

- some people don't like FI and never use it.

- for a mounted projector manual focus/zoom are not very useful

- unless you plan on a 2:35 screen, the memory/zoom features is not useful

- watching sports with friends almost always takes place in a lighted room, and for that you need a high lumen projector.

- W6000 is hot, so you need proper ventillation.

---------------------

Personally, having bought an ultra-black LCD and having owned DLP, and having seen non-uniformity and convergence as well as heard about dust blob problems - I'm looking at the W6000 as a replacement. I want FI, so that's a negative for the W6000. Calibration is a must for both machines, but apparently the W6000 is more needy. Both machines have excellent gray scale and color controls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts