AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. so i finally changed my bulb in my Benq W9000 projector, and when i did i could see what looked like dust or burnt dust on the colour wheel. is there any way to clean this? it doesn't seem to be affecting the image projected, but maybe it is and i just don't know it? any thoughts? is this common?

is this something i can clean myself or will i have to send it off for service?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
It does affect the image in that it reduces the amount of light as well as reducing the contrast.

The color wheel can be easily cleaned with a cotton swab and denatured alcohol. Use GENTLY as the color wheel is fragile.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
A dry swab won't do an effective job. If that's what you meant. But I've cleaned dozens of color wheels that way. It doesn't take any effort. The residue that's on there will come off easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/18309233

ok i'll carefully give it a try with just a cotton swab first

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i spoke to benq today and they said DO NOT DO IT! so now i'm confused. they said i could break or damage the colour wheel very easily. ...so what to do now?

·
Registered
614 Posts
They are treating you like any schmo who has a projector, if you're very careful and gentle with the denatured alcohol it takes almost zero pressure to clean it. Up to you if you would rather send it in..

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
They're right, it is easily damaged. That's why I said GENTLY. Ditto what DaveUpton said. The manufacturers treat everyone like they're gorilla-fisted imbeciles who break things just looking at them. And there are a lot of those out there. Just proceed very carefully, use the swab and alcohol and use no pressure. Treat it like you're trying to handle a soap bubble without popping it.

Of course, if you do manage to break it, we will deny ever being here.

Or, as DaveUpton said, you could send it in to someone for cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/18336587

well i spoke to benq today and they said DO NOT DO IT! so now i'm confused. they said i could break or damage the colour wheel very easily. ...so what to do now?

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i will probably give it a try....and i'll be careful. the guy said that the dust shouldn't affect the brightness or picture quality, but i think he was an idiot as that makes no sense at all.

the question is..how do i TURN the wheel while cleaning it? only 1/3 of it is exposed to see....suggestions on that? TIA

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You should be able to "touch" the edge of the wheel to turn it. If not, if the hub is visible, use slight pressure there to turn the wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts