AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my 3021 from solidsignal.com. The "chicken wire grill" (not one of the bowties) was bent. It really looked like they did this on purpose to fit it in the box, because it certainly would not have fit in the box without bending.

Is this alright? Can I simply bend it back?

·
Registered
85 Posts
If it is on the side it is ok. I received mine 4228 and it was not only bended on the side but on the panels was messed up. I had to bend it back. SolidSignal definitely should use better boxes for antennas even at higher prices, because the ones they are using now a laughable.

It just taught me a lesson not to order antennas from the web.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TheOski
If it is on the side it is ok. I received mine 4228 and it was not only bended on the side but on the panels was messed up. I had to bend it back.
After you bent it back, did it work?

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
If the box was really the wrong size, you should complain to the place of purchase.

I've ordered several 4221s (same as 3021) and various other equipment from Warren Electronics . Everything was shipped FedEx ground, and in very sturdy boxes. No damage.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sent three emails to solidsignal. No response thus far. I either want a refund, or an exchange for the same antenna, packaged properly (in a box that is actually big enough to not have to bend the antenna!).

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
rickypicky,

Have you tried calling Solid Signal?

Their number is: 248 761-9256

(I didn't see a toll-free # on their web site)

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just bought a 3021 from SolidSignal.

The antenna screen is supposed to have a bend at its edges. The ends look sort of beveled. If it is symetric it is probably supposed to be that way.

Mine was slighty assymetrically bent on two of its corners in ways it was not supposed to be bent. I just bent it back and it works fine. Actually it works better than any of the other 3 antennas I tried.

The box it was shipped in was the ChannelMaster box. It was shipped from somewhere in TN I think. I was expecting it to come from Michigan, but it suprisingly arrived a day and a half after I ordered it.

Some bolt ends on the antenna actually punctured the box either during shipping from the manufacturer to Solidsignal or between Solidsignal's warehouse and me. There is no elaborate packing because the contents aren't exactly fragile. Well - they are fragile in that they are easily bent, but that is not particularly important since you can just bend them back. It's like chicken wire.

I doubt that anybody in the supply chain makes enough money on these to be able to pack them so that they won't get bent so that such packing would be feasible.

I even suspect my box had been previously opened. It was probably tried by someone else and they couldn't get the reception they wanted and returned it. I don't know, but I don't really care since there are two antennas at Lowes in Stone Mountain that I previously opened and returned for the same reason.

As long as it works, and I don't have to go parading around town for antennas, I'm fat and happy. I'd send a car back to the dealership for a scratch, or take a DVD player back for a blemish on the display, but this thing is either going to be up on my roof out in the rain, or stashed in my attic. It could look like a truck ran over it, and as long as I pick up all the locals like I am I don't give a rat's fanny.

·
Registered
420 Posts
On the money :)

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PerryH
I just bought a 3021 from SolidSignal.

The antenna screen is supposed to have a bend at its edges.
The OP said his was bent at the top.

Speaking of the screen bend at the edges, I've seen some 4221/3021 antennas with the screen edges bent toward the bowties, and others bent away from the bowties.

Which way are they supposed to be bent, or does it matter?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still no response from SolidSignal. They certainly processed my order quick enough, you'd think they might be courteous enough to at least respond to my emails.

I think I'll bend it back, try to use it, and send it back if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hey, we are here.

Got your emails!

Sorry for the delay.

That antenna was shipped from our Knoxville warehouse.

I have already contacted the warehouse manager to see whats up.

No problem to return!

Just let me know and we will overnight another.

We pride oursevles on great service and tech support!

I will check out the box issues!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I am really sorry for the delay as well as the condition o the box.

Order is in and will ship overnight today!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I received the replacement antenna from SolidSignal this morning and all is well. The only bends are the bevels on the side which are supposed to be there.

Also, the box the replacement came in seems to be the same size as the box the original (damaged) antenna came in. The box the original came in was simply smashed and compressed at the end, which obviously caused the damage to the antenna.

Thanks again, SolidSignal!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.