AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to order the carpet. Actually the carpet I wanted to order was just discontinued (just two weeks ago). Lesson in procrastination!!!!

Any way. Is Berber over a pad a "no no" in a basement theater (concrete foundation/floor). I like the looks an feel of pile but think it will end up looking pretty bad when wrapped around the bull nose for the steps and riser.

Looking for your opinions on looks as well as (more importantly) acoustical considerations...

Thanks!

Mudding and taping has got to be similar to hell!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used berber over a pad. No complaints.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roger.

My room is similar in size albeit a bit closer to 18' deep. I do not have the budget to do any acoustical treatment right away so the only "soft" absorbing surfaces will be the carpet and the 6 theater seats. I may do a heavy drape across the front of the room to help tame a bit of the reflection. but I am getting off topic. The carpet really needs to help me tame some of the echo's. Your Berber looks quite nice! Did it help the room much acoustically or would I be better served by a thicker pile?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
E,

one thing to keep in mind-

Berber is great,as long as you have no cats:(with nails......

ts

·
Registered
533 Posts
e. martin:

I installed exactly what you described, Berber over pad, over concrete floor. Looks great and feels even better. I found more colourful and better patterned carpets in Berber than in shag. That was what I wanted, so I got it.

Some carpet stores try to discourage people from using pads with Berber, but my installer used a felt pad that was treated against moisture on one side. Some even claim that this is industrial carpet, not suited for homes - HOG WASH.

Just my experience and opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) The only good cat is a .........

2) I am having a heck of a time finding a Berber with a pattern that is not UGLY (imo) or one solid color with the pattern cut, or woven) into it. The one that I really liked got discontinued. I guess enough other people found that pattern UGLY....

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

·
Registered
283 Posts
E. Martin---I did Berber over the heavy 8 lb. pad in my poured basement. I also used it for my stage, 2nd row riser and all steps. I think it all turned out great.

Please check out my photo's of my entire construction process at the link below. My stage, 2nd row and steps all have a routered 1/2" bull nose and the carpet looks very good.

I used a Berber from Home depot called Shell Harbor in a Taupe/beige color.

Let me know what you think.

Brett

·
Registered
156 Posts
Brett,

That is the same carpet we just picked out to finish off the office I'm installing next to the HT room. I haven't picked out the carpet for the HT yet, but I'm gunning for something a bit more dark.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Brett, Your riser detail is very similar to mine. Mine is a bit taller...same rope lighting as well :) I too plan to use 1/2 round bull nose on the edge of mine. How hard were the corners to do with the curve? Did you use one large piece of carpet to cover all the riser? or did you do the sides separately from the top deck? I am actually considering using a dark tile around the sides to give a little more "separation" from the floor. This would be in place of carpet on the sides. (Carpet only on the top.) I would appreciate any installation tips you would share.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know if this has been brought up, but... I just had a flood, well I'm only a youngin, its the parent's house.

Anyways, we had to replace all the carpet downstairs and we replaced it with a burber with underlay built into it. It's locally made in Newfoundland, but I'm sure you could get something like this if you looked.

It lays down like usual carpet, using carpet glue, but you glue the underlay down which is part of the carpet.

I must say it makes the floor SOOOO much more comfortable, I mean its a night and day comparison to the old commercial carpet we had down.

My two cents

Divert :)

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Guys. An HT needs carpet fpr comfort and aesthetic considerations only. Real movie heaters generally have bare concrete floors! The sound is beamed wide in a horizontal direction, but narrow and up the seating incline in the vertical direction. So if you are doing a THX set up, the floor acoustical treatment is not relevant.

All bets are off if your HT is also your music room. Music speakers do not throw a wide lateral image nor are they beamed narrowly vertically. So here you need to treat the floor and the ceiling (in front of the speakers) as well as wall reflection points. Also corners with traps etc, etc.

Carpet your HT floor so it is warm and you can take your shoes off. Enjoy.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have Berber installed over a pad in my theater which has a concrete floor; no complaints.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our family ventured out to a carpet store last night. We found a color and pattern that will work quite well but.... Holy Cow this stuff is pricey!

I suppose that if I could afford everything I wanted I wouldn't have to want it.... I'd have it. Now remind me again where that money tree was planted!

My only hope is that carpet is like cars; in that they all have a sticker but the real price is lower!

Thank you all for your input!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.