AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my Berkline chairs since November and while illuminating the cup holders aren’t a necessity in my HT, I wanted to do it anyways. I searched and searched with a solution or new cup holders, but either the lighting looked cheesy or the cup holder itself. Some DIY solutions I came up with, I’d have to modify my cup holders which I was trying not to do in case I didn’t like.

For whatever reason it dawned on me to search for some LED halo’s, like the ones people put in headlights. Some careful measurements and I needed 100mm OD and 90mm ID, which the idea the LED halo will sandwich between the stock black plastic cup holders and the SS inserts the chairs came with. By sandwiching the board between, the plastic will insulate the halo and the SS will sit on top of the LED so no shorting would occur.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171527855231

I searched high and low for something with these measurements and finally found one place on eBay (in China) that had size I required. Ordered before Chinese holiday, yet they decided to ship it after, so 6 weeks later I finally got them in the mail. It was a gamble on fitment and illumination, but all worked out. I promptly made a harness so everything is plug & play, so if one halo dies I can easily swap it out. I used at 120VAC/12VDC @ 1A plug I had laying around, same type of plug that powers a lot more stuff in your household than you realize.

I got all the wires tucked nicely under the chairs and fed through each arm of the chair. I will tell you it is a PITA to feed the wire through the chair arm; it’d be a lot easier if I had skinnier arms. I got everything connected and installed. I turned off all HT lighting and the halo illumination is perfect, completely happy.

Now onto how to control them, I had a spare cheap Amazon $6 RF dimmer/remote and plugged it in. I was hoping I could use my Harmony Ultimate controller to control the halos but alas no luck as the dimmer/remote is an off-brand and not in the Logitech database for RF. Little searching on Amazon and I found an IR dimmer and even though it’s likely not in database, I can manually program my remote. When I hit PLAY, sconces & under chair lighting fades off and the halos come on. PAUSE/STOP scones & under chair lighting fade on and halo’s go off. IR dimmer/remote is due in today so should be no issue getting it all setup since it’s plug and play for the halos.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S65HHZM/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great Job!

What a great idea and execution! Looks perfect and I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice. Great DIY! Thanks for posting this as I may use it in the future. Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a great idea and execution! Looks perfect and I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice. Great DIY! Thanks for posting this as I may use it in the future. Cheers
I appreciate the reply and props! You're right pictures don't capture what it looks like in person, I couldn't have asked for a better solution honestly.

I'm here for any info I can provide for anyone wanting to do this. Also this should work for most every chair as well. Even if you only have plastic cup holders, you can put below plastic part and should get similar effect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.