AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not having an opportunity to see many in person, what are most of you who purchased berkine 090's doing - all leather or mix. The ones I saw in person were leather seating surfaces only and the leather matching seemed fine. Also, the big question...to motorize or not?

Any opinions.....

·
Registered
915 Posts
Motorize!!!! DO NOT BUY the manual recline model. Some people have not had any problems but there is something wrong with the spring balance system in the manual recline model. I have some of each and there is no way to stay in any intermediate position of recline. Once you release the footrest, any pressure on the back wants to move you to the complete reclined position, NOT GOOD! If I could buy a retrofit kit, I would convert all of mine to motorized. As far as the leather-vinyl match, I think it is pretty good... no complaints with that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have both leather and leather/vinyl, manual and power recline. as far as the leather or leather/vinyl choice goes, no one can ever tell the difference when I aske them to pick out the all leather ones. I'm sure you would have a hard time justifying the extra dollars. As far as the manual vs electric recline, I have not had any issues about the manuals holding in any position they are put in. and I like to be able to get out of the chair faster thatn the electric will allow. in addition, the manuals seem to recline further than the electric, so I actually use the manual seats and save the electric for the guests. Don't know if this helps but it is my opinion. good luck.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I am glad to hear that some people are not having trouble with their manual recline models. Hopefully, I just have the wrong springs or something in mine and if I can ever get Berkline to respond, maybe they can be fixed.

·
Registered
387 Posts
. I personally like the electric better but that is also because my rows are closer together and I can't stop the manual from full recline.

I have the leather and vinyl sides. Looks great. Suggest saving the money and doing it that way.

Adam

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maddogmc
I am glad to hear that some people are not having trouble with their manual recline models. Hopefully, I just have the wrong springs or something in mine and if I can ever get Berkline to respond, maybe they can be fixed.
Call your dealer as they should support you. There is a fix for the manual recline models. Your dealer will need to call Berkline on your behalf, give the invoice number for your chairs (that is, the invoice between the dealer and Berkline) and Berkline will provide the parts and instructions to your dealer.

Joyce had my parts to me within a week or two of my asking her for them.

Sam

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I saw some of the 090s with manual and motorized recline. The manuals worked fine for me. There was one thing I did notice that I did not like about the electric recliners. It dawned on me after I left when I thought back on them. You can't raise the feet and keep the back upright. If the feet are raised, then the back is down. I may be wrong here so correct me at any time. I prefer to be able to put my feet up and then maybe lean back half way or something.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Toxarch
I saw some of the 090s with manual and motorized recline. The manuals worked fine for me. There was one thing I did notice that I did not like about the electric recliners. It dawned on me after I left when I thought back on them. You can't raise the feet and keep the back upright. If the feet are raised, then the back is down. I may be wrong here so correct me at any time. I prefer to be able to put my feet up and then maybe lean back half way or something.
Sorry, but you are wrong.

When you operate the motorized recline, the legs come up first. Once they reach full upright position, then the back starts to recline. Now, if you want to recline, and have the footrest down, you can't do that, but then, who would want to ;)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I have three electric recline, four manual recline. All electric would be cool, but I am not too upset to try to change it. However, if I had to do it all over again, I would go all electric if I could.

I have some all leather and some leather match. For the money, you cannot tell the difference (especially with the lights out!).

Good luck in your decision.

Pam

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Hi All:

Do any of you have motorized recliners on risers? Did you build electric outlets into the riser to avoid running extension cords and wires acrosss the room? Does this make sense?

Thanks.

Larry

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryChanin
Hi All:

Do any of you have motorized recliners on risers? Did you build electric outlets into the riser to avoid running extension cords and wires acrosss the room? Does this make sense?

Thanks.

Larry
Larry, that's exactly what I did.

I installed a riser that meets up with the back wall, so prior to drywalling, I ran romex down the wall and out a J-Box in the bottom of the wall, BELOW the level where I knew my riser would be. Then, when I installed the riser, I cut a hole into the back of the riser, and fished the romex through. I made a cutout into the TOP of the riser through the two layers of plywood and installed a metal J-Box with metal floor plate outlet and cover (the type you see in the floors of conference rooms). I sat my chairs over this outlet, plugged a power strip into the outlet (the strip sits under one of the chairs), and plugged three chairs into the strip.

I also continued my run from the metal box in the top, and ran an additional length of romex to the FRONT of the riser. Again, I cut out a hole, this time in the 2x8 framing member, and installed another metal j-box and a standard duplex outlet. I used a regular plastic outlet cover over this one since no-one would be ever standing on it. From this outlet, I plug a strip in that sits under a chair in the First Row, and then all the other first row chairs plug into this strip. Out of all this, the only cable visible is a short length between the front outlet to underneath the chair. But noone walks here, as the aisle is on the riser for walking through to the second row.

Incidently, I did the same above for a TOP and FRONT speaker box for future bass-shakers :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, I started this thread and did get the vinyl/leather 909's and am very pleased.

I got the electric option for all my (3 - front, 4 second row on riser). The cords under each chair are about six feet. I simply put a power strip at one end and was able to string the cords under the chairs and then into an outlet at the end of the aisle. Although having power on the riser woule be more convienent, it is really not necessary as the chair cords easily hide under each chair and a simple power strip does the trick.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I also ran power outlets to the top and front of my riser (actually, the electrician did, but I told him to).

Instead of speaker boxes, though, I ran 2" PVC from the control room to the top and front of the riser. I can fish my bass shaker wires through here as well as game controller wires or anything else that needs to get from the equipment area to the seats.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Outlets for each row of seats, wiring for bass shakers, and the 2" PVC run. I am already planning on connecting the PS2 to the projector a few times when friends show up.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Toxarch,

How did you mount your bass shakers to the Berklines? I ended up screwing the BS's to a piece of 3/4" plywood that I attached to the back frame. I get good action throughout the chair. This did cause a slight bulge in the vinyl back but you have to be looking for it to even notice it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.