AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my brand new Berklines and the leather squeaks and rubs as they recline. It's a bit distracting. Anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking just a bit of leather conditioner would fix it?

·
Registered
739 Posts
The squeak will decrease over time, but in the mean time try putting a little bit of baby powder between the seat and the arm. You will not need much and it will make it go way.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,385 Posts
+1, put a little in the palm of your hand then reach down between the seat cushion and the arm and rub it around. I have 4 year old chairs and every once and awhile one starts squeaking. I have the baby powder on the shelf next to the case of microwave popcorn.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
i tried baby powder. put a bunch on, didn't work well at all. and made a mess.

you need ArmorAll/etc. just put it on a rag, rub the rag into the seat joints.

the noises will be completely gone for a long time.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
oh. the seat will operate smoother.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,385 Posts
Dry Lube versus Wet Lube. Maybe this could be the next semi-annual argument I'm tired of all the ones we re-visit:

Do I need a permit?

Are Powered seats worth it?

Must I put sand in my stage?

Does my ceiling have to be painted black?

White or Gray screen?

DLP or ______?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Problem solved with ArmorAll because I had that on hand and didnt have any baby powder. Squeak-free for now.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
good deal

i did mine a good while ago. still dead quiet.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Anyone use leather conditioner or mink oil on their chairs? I wonder if that would be better than baby powder.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_V /forum/post/18353286

Anyone use leather conditioner or mink oil on their chairs? I wonder if that would be better than baby powder.

I find that a good leather conditioner works perfectly. Conditioning your leather is something that you should consider doing at least once a year, depending on the humidity where you live. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Thanks for the response. Although my chairs probably won't get daily use, it would be nice to keep them maintained like new if possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts