AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

In my never ending attempt to find the most obscure topic to complain about...here we go...

I got my Berkline chairs this week. While the idea of lighted cupholders was a great idea, they are on a photocell that makes then turn off if the image on the screen gets too bright.

Has anyone else had this issue? It's annoying. I will probably be covering the cell (which of course will lead them to burn out sooner rather then later).

Oh well....life can be so cruel.......

Splotto

·
Vendor
3,606 Posts
Splotto ,

The Berkline is working on changing the way the lighted cup holders activated. They will use the switch, so you will be able to turn them on and off when you pleased. When it is going to be available - nobody knows yet.

Regarding burning out - you can leave them on, and they will provide a light for 10 years, so I would not worry about burning them out too much

·
Registered
739 Posts
One of our customers told me he took a black Sharpie and shaded over the photocell and this helped this same issue. LED lights are supposed to last 80-100,000 hours. So if you do the math that's about 9 years in the worst case.

Ken

·
Registered
739 Posts
Splotto,

I understand. If everyone had your attitude it would be a wonderful world!

Cheers,

Ken

·
Registered
5 Posts
Splotto,

I recently purchased 3 094's from Roman with cupholders. My

wife found them a little distracting. I hooked up an X-10 lamp module to

the transformer and tried to dim them . It works but is not exactly reliable.

They dim to a certain point but if you try to dim too fast they just turn off.

So it does work to turn them off.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuehrer /forum/post/0

Splotto,

I recently purchased 3 094's from Roman with cupholders. My

wife found them a little distracting. I hooked up an X-10 lamp module to

the transformer and tried to dim them . It works but is not exactly reliable.

They dim to a certain point but if you try to dim too fast they just turn off.

So it does work to turn them off.

Afuehrer,

I believe in order to dim led lights, you have to have a balast on them. I've got 33 of these led step lights in my house from Permlight and each one of them has a balast inside the gangbox that allows them to dim with my Lutron dimmer switches. I'm not sure but this might be of help in figuring out a way to dim them without turning them off? In fact, on Permlights website, they state that you need a standard electronic low-voltage (3-wire) dimmer for it to work with their led's. So it might be the same case with other led's as well.

Bimmeup

Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reviving an old topic here.

First, I would like to know if the "switch option" to turn the cupholder lights on & off now exists. I know Roman mentioned (in May) that this functionality was "coming". I am looking to purchase a set of 45004's.

Second, can anyone post any pictures of the cupholders. Ideally I would like 3 pics.... one with the cupholders on, another with the cupholders off, and another that does not have lighted cupholders (i.e. just the regular ones).

The wife doesn't share my feelings for the lighted cupholders, so if I was able to A. turn them off & B. convince her that they do not look that different from regular cupholders when they are off, then I might be able to convince her.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thread search provides this link from a slightly older (but very thorough) thread on the 45004's. I too thought about the lighted cup holders but in the end I ordered the aluminum inserts for my 45004's. Just had an itch that the lights would be too distracting. What would be ultimate is if you could dim them, that would be the winning ticket there.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I didnt get lighteed cupholders for that exact reason, I want a black hole for my theater....

·
Registered
7,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/13175149

I didnt get lighteed cupholders for that exact reason, I want a black hole for my theater....

I revived this thread because I can't believe that anyone after seeing them would seriously consider using these. I have a set of Berkline 45000's with the lighted cup holders (I have six of em) and when they are on, the light is an incredible distraction. The chrome enclosures reflect the light (think blue Bat Beam) and they light up the room. Unless there is a cup in the holder blocking the light, they create a bright blue beam the shines directly in my field of vision. Mine are off and they are a total waste of time money ... IMHO.

·
Registered
522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! /forum/post/14468068

I revived this thread because I can't believe that anyone after seeing them would seriously consider using these. I have a set of Berkline 45000's with the lighted cup holders (I have six of em) and when they are on, the light is an incredible distraction. The chrome enclosures reflect the light (think blue Bat Beam) and they light up the room. Unless there is a cup in the holder blocking the light, they create a bright blue beam the shines directly in my field of vision. Mine are off and they are a total waste of time money ... IMHO.

i agree here, they are way too distracting, and worse, they project light onto my screen. i'm trying to come up with a way to dim them and change them to red to match my red berklines. i'm going to have to do some research, and the first thing i might do is change out the wall wart for one with multiple output selections. if they dim to a point and won't go any lower, i'll just use the lower setting and see what that does. as for the light sensor, i plan to sharpie over the front edge and see if that helps. in the end, i have no problem just unplugging them and leaving them off, but if i got them, i might as well try to use them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Last year I created a new project, custom installed Berkline cup holders in a non-Berkline chair. My experience over all was "good" for this type of science project. The cup holder size was almost an exact fit for the original mounting holes with the exception of cutting a "key" notch to fit the "key" flange (used in securing the control cable for each holder that ran down the side) and slightly routing out the original hole with a Drimmel Tool. A ten minute exercise at best for each mounting hole.

The real challenge was running the cabling within the chair, it was a bit more effort than I thought and there was just enough cable length to make the connections, but once I plotted an efficient route for each chair it worked out fine. With all that said, I have at least a half a day invested (routing out holes, drilling holes, running cable, etc) in the project.

The next challenge came after everything was installed. I dimmed the lights and the cup holders lit up. Then the surprise.... chrome cup holders with super bright LEDs.... in a dark room. To say they were "glaring" is an understatement. You could have landed an airplane by them alone. After pondering a bit, I came up with the idea of lining the inside and base of each holder with black craft foam from the art store. Worked like a charm. The foam totally absorbed the glair and left a nice soft glow. With this addition, it's not as distracting as you think and adds a nice courtesy light if you like to park your remote in the cup holders.

Was adding lighted cup holders a necessity? No, but it just adds one more level to the experience of having a home theater.

-CKR

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
take pictures of them with the lights off and them on

·
Registered
522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou /forum/post/15300430

Last year I created a new project, custom installed Berkline cup holders in a non-Berkline chair. My experience over all was "good" for this type of science project. The cup holder size was almost an exact fit for the original mounting holes with the exception of cutting a "key" notch to fit the "key" flange (used in securing the control cable for each holder that ran down the side) and slightly routing out the original hole with a Drimmel Tool. A ten minute exercise at best for each mounting hole.

The real challenge was running the cabling within the chair, it was a bit more effort than I thought and there was just enough cable length to make the connections, but once I plotted an efficient route for each chair it worked out fine. With all that said, I have at least a half a day invested (routing out holes, drilling holes, running cable, etc) in the project.

The next challenge came after everything was installed. I dimmed the lights and the cup holders lit up. Then the surprise.... chrome cup holders with super bright LEDs.... in a dark room. To say they were "glaring" is an understatement. You could have landed an airplane by them alone. After pondering a bit, I came up with the idea of lining the inside and base of each holder with black craft foam from the art store. Worked like a charm. The foam totally absorbed the glair and left a nice soft glow. With this addition, it's not as distracting as you think and adds a nice courtesy light if you like to park your remote in the cup holders.

Was adding lighted cup holders a necessity? No, but it just adds one more level to the experience of having a home theater.

-CKR

that's a really slick idea, i like it. it would sure stop the light from hitting my screen. that plus red leds might be the ticket

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just the chrome plating alone cast a reflection on the screen when the cup holder was lit, after I created the foam insert, it wasn't noticeable at all. The way the holders are constructed, swapping out the LED would be a breeze if your handy with a soldering iron. Your other option would be to create a plastic bottom from a piece of colored / frosted plexiglass and drop it in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.