AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else purchased Berkline 090's with standard recline? I purchased some with electric recline and some without. The standard models will not hold any intermediate seating/recline position; they are either locked, footrest down, or they want to completely recline. This is totally unacceptable for theater use. I have sent several emails to the names listed on the Berkline site without getting a reply from anyone. Apparently there is no way to retrofit from manual to electric recline since there are differences in the recline mechanism. The message is DON"T BUY BERKLINE's with the manual recline mechanism! Their failure to respond to messages addressed to any of the people listed on their website does not speak well for them as a company that anyone should be doing business with. If anyone else has had this problem and come up with a reasonably simple solution, I would appreciate any information. I have a Lazy-Boy in another part of the house and it does not exhibit any similar problems.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I discovered that you can sort of adjust the manual recline tension by adding or removing springs on the bottom frame. If the footrest flies up and knocks your shoes off, remove a spring. If the footrest won't stay up, add a spring. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any other adjustments you can make.

--Dan

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have already tried changing the spring positions and removing one of the springs. The spring changes alter the foot rest action but once it is fully up and you lean back in the chair, it just keeps on going back. I have looked for any way to add "friction" to the recline mechanism and can't find any easy method. I WILL solve the problem, I was just hoping that someone else had already found a solution. I hope that someone has been able to retrofit an electric mechanism. I could probably fabricate the needed brackets to modify the existing mechanism if I could purchase the elctric motor and switch components.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
maddogmc,

I have been using 5 manual 090s for about 6 months without any reclining issues, other than showing people where the recline release button is on the side of the seat (despite detailed instructions, everyone tries to just push back without pushing the button...one guest almost tipped the seat over....maybe I should look for smarter friends :)). I have had the exact opposite experience that you have had--I can "hold" in any recline position without issue, so maybe your batch is not working to spec.

Have you talked to your Berkline dealer? I have found that most website contact pathways tend to get you nowhere fast, even with companies noted for good customer service. Berkline proper seems to want to do everything through their dealer network, so I'd start there. Hope it works out!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Quote:
I have looked for any way to add "friction" to the recline mechanism and can't find any easy method.
My dumb method is to push the chairs together as tightly as possible. Only works for the chairs with 1 arm, but it helps a little.

--Dan

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alex,

I purchased from a online dealer who was less than helpful when I mentioned the problem. He said he was trying to retrofit some mechanical to electric in his showroom. It seems odd to me that a manufacturer would go to all the trouble to set up a website and include a support section and email addresses and then never respond to any of them. I wonder if they changed the mechanism in any way between your units and mine. Mine were manufactured in the June-July time frame this year. One more thing, this is not a "weight of the person" issue. I weigh about 225 lbs and a friend weighs about 120 lbs. It almost falls back with either of us in the chair.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Art,

Thanks for the idea. As I said, I have sent messages to several of the supposed contact email addresses at Berkline and received nothing. I will call their out-of-warranty repair phone number tomorrow and see if I can get any help.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maddogmc
I purchased from a online dealer who was less than helpful when I mentioned the problem.
The Berkline dealer should be your first line of support - that's why they have a markup and make a profit. Sounds like someone took your money and is not giving you post-sales support. Can you tell us who the dealer is so we know to avoid?

Thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am a little reluctant to identify the dealer openly. Needless to say, it was someone that participated in the forum at one time.

My reluctance stems for the fact that I had other issues that has biased me against the dealer. I had delayed shipping and shipping damage that took me several months, many emails and many phone calls to get resolved. I can't really tell you if the shipping delays and replacement part delays were the dealers, the manufacturers or a combination of the two's fault. The rough timeline for my chair purchase and problems is as follows:

May 23 - Order placed, credit card charged

July 31 - Boxes arrive

August 1 - Damage to one chair discovered

October 18 - Replacement seat section arrives

Almost 5 months is too long for this to have gone on. If you still want the name, please PM me.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maddogmc
I am a little reluctant to identify the dealer openly. Needless to say, it was someone that participated in the forum at one time.

My reluctance stems for the fact that I had other issues that has biased me against the dealer. I had delayed shipping and shipping damage that took me several months, many emails and many phone calls to get resolved. I can't really tell you if the shipping delays and replacement part delays were the dealers, the manufacturers or a combination of the two's fault. The rough timeline for my chair purchase and problems is as follows:

May 23 - Order placed, credit card charged

July 31 - Boxes arrive

August 1 - Damage to one chair discovered

October 18 - Replacement seat section arrives

Almost 5 months is too long for this to have gone on. If you still want the name, please PM me.
It may be a combination of the two...I had one chair blow the transformer for the power recline....I called Berkline Warranty direct and asked for the replacement part. Within 2 days, I received the part...Unfortunately, they sent me the entire gear motor assembly, not the transformer that I needed. I called back the next day, and asked to be sent the correct part. That was almost 2 months ago. I called today to follow up and was told that the part shipped yesterday as it had been on backorder. No call from them ever about the delay...This was all dealing directly with Berkline and no dealer involved. If I had used a dealer, they would have probably kept on top of it for me...Or at least they should have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maddogmc:

I am a Berkline dealer and sell cinema chairs in the Atlanta, Ga. area as well as ship all over the United States. We had a customer here in the Atlanta area that had a similiar problem as your. I called Berkline, described the problem and within a few days we had kits and instructions to install on our customer's chairs. It was a simple enough operation and the chairs worked fine after these springs were installed. The only information that Berkline required from me was the number of the invoice where I had ordered the chairs. You should call your dealer, and request these kits ( one kit for each chairs that is giving you a problem.) Berkline supplies the kits free and it would cost your dealer nothing except a phone call. After all, the dealer owes you this much. He was the middleman in the sale who made a profit and who should take care of service problem. I realize that this was mailorder, but with the kits you should be able to install in a few minutes. If you wish me to be more specific about the installation just email me and I will discuss it with you giving you the specific details.

Most of all, I regret the trouble you have had. I continue to believe the Berkline to be a good value for the money. Your dealer is not holding up his end. Service should always be part of the sale.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joyce,

Thanks for the information on the modification kit. I have spoken with Berkline support today and they faxed me some repair/maintenance information. The drawing and photos supplied are slightly different from the mechanism on my recliners. I wonder if they have changed the design of the mechanism recently (the spring placement and cross stretcher design are different)? Anyway, I am awaiting a call back tomorrow to discuss the differences and a possible solution. I have received PM's from several people that are having the exact same problem so this is not a one-of-a-kind issue. I will update this thread with the results of the discussions with Berkline.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Updating my Berkline manual recline problems...

Berkline sent me modification kits for each of my manual recline models. The kits consist of 4 bolts and 2 springs. The modification instructions are very clear and the modification works as promised.

Briefly, you must remove the seat and arms from the mechanism. Drill 4 holes, insert 4 self-tapping screws and attach 2 springs to the newly installed screws.

Tools required are a drill, #7 bit (a little unusual but easily obtainable), 7/16" socket/ratchet and phillips head screwdriver.

The only difficulties I encountered were a stripped bolt on one arm that made it difficult to remove and the mechanism is generally akward to handle unless you have help to hold it while you are drilling the holes.

If you purchased from a local dealer, they should take care of the problem. Since I purchased online, I decided to make the modifications myself. I did not try to get Berkline to find a local repair service and have them come out and make the changes. If you are having this problem and are not mechanically inclined, try to get a dealer to make the modifications for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.