AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I press the recline button, it makes the click sound and moves the chair just an inch. If I press the button again, same thing. I have to press the button about 50 damn times to get the chair to recline in little increments. Do you think it's the motor or the control box?

CIAR SpA 61100 Type: LM25 motor

CIAR SpA 61100 Type SU15 box

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Ciar components are made in Italy and was used by Berkline on some of the recliners in the past. They switched and began using the power components kits made by Refined at some point of time. I have no idea where to find the CIAR components, but I just had someone with similar problem. I sent him an actuator made by Refined to try if it would work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh /forum/post/0

Ciar components are made in Italy and was used by Berkline on some of the recliners in the past. They switched and began using the power components kits made by Refined at some point of time. I have no idea where to find the CIAR components, but I just had someone with similar problem. I sent him an actuator made by Refined to try if it would work.

Do you think my problem is with the actuator or with the control box?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
It is hard to say, but I think it is a power control box. If you have another chair you can swap them and test for that.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh /forum/post/21198906

It is hard to say, but I think it is a power control box. If you have another chair you can swap them and test for that.

I swapped over the control boxes, same behavior. It must be the actuator. Can local electronics shops rebuild these or do I need to buy a new one? (If that's even possible anymore)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I think you would need a new one...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
FYI: One of my customers who had CIAR transformer and actuator just replaced the CIAR actuator with the one from REFINED and here is what he wrote to me:

Quote:
Roman,

I installed the actuator and it was basically a direct replacement for the Ciar unit, same connector, mount points etc. The only slight difference is that when the chair is full upright the foot rest doesn't retract 100% as before, it probably closes 98%, it does leave a small gap but almost not noticeable.

I was looking at the mounting bracket (where the actuator bolts to the chair) and it looks like you could easily take it off and put a slight bend in it to make it close all the way but the small gap didn't bother my wife or I so we just left it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Good info in this thread. I assumed that the Refined actuator would pretty much be "plug n play" with the CIAR. As far as I can tell, the components are virtually the same, from the switches to the transformers to the actuators themselves.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Nope - the transformer is different. The REFINED transformer that Berkline used in their chairs(except for the last containers that were shipped in 2010/2011) was bigger and bulkier. If someone has a problem with the transformer they can still use the one from REFINED, but would need to figure out a way of mounting it since the CIAR will have different mounting bracket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI -- if you need a replacement part from CIAR -- you can call Ultra-Mek Inc. in Denton NC -- ask for "MONICA"...... her number is 336-859-4552.

I e-mailed CIAR in Italy about getting a replacement transformer for my Berklines and they are the ones who gave me the contact info for Ultra-Mek.

·
Registered
515 Posts
So has anyone found a replacement for this issue? I had one of my Berkline chairs stop reclining. I swapped the large motor labeled "CIAR SpA 61100 Pesaro" with another chair and it worked so I know that it's this part. I've looked everywhere I can think of for a replacement with no luck. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
515 Posts
we don't know what part you are talking about. and just because the motor works doesn't pinpoint the problem, could be the switch, a sensor, the wiring, the transformer, and even the outlet.
That's why I described it and listed the part name and number. It's a large cube about 4"x4"x4" in size. I know it's the part that is bad because I swapped it with another chair and it worked okay.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,065 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Berkline Theatre Chiars wont recline after moving them

We have a set of 3 Berkline Theatre Chairs. They were working perfectly. We moved homes last night and I was careful to unplug all parts of the chairs to detach the seat backs for moving. We were very careful when moving all pieces. All cords have been reattached correctly and seat back placed back on. The two outside chairs will not recline after the move. The center chair will recline still. Also, all other components will work on the outside chairs (heat/massage). Neither outside chair will recline at all. Is there something I’m missing? A reset? A switch? This makes no sense that both of them are doing the same thing. I do notice the center chair has a square box underneath that has the plug into it that looks like a phone line....I do not see those boxes on the outside chairs. Wouldn’t they have them also? Would not placing batteries in the electrical plug box make any difference (they never had batteries prior to this and worked just fine...I’m assuming that is just as a backup to a power outage)? Help!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Square plastic boxes are power supplies, and usually each chair has its own with the power cord that needs to be plugged into the power outlet. The 9V batteries are optional and can let you bring the chair into upright position in case you loose power in the house. It will work for a few times only., and should be be used as a main source of power.

If you never had the power supply boxes in outside chairs, maybe they were getting power from the same power supply? If yes, than you need to check all the connections and see how the outside chairs were plugged in and where they were getting power from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Square plastic boxes are power supplies, and usually each chair has its own with the power cord that needs to be plugged into the power outlet. The 9V batteries are optional and can let you bring the chair into upright position in case you loose power in the house. It will work for a few times only., and should be be used as a main source of power.

If you never had the power supply boxes in outside chairs, maybe they were getting power from the same power supply? If yes, than you need to check all the connections and see how the outside chairs were plugged in and where they were getting power from.
They each have their own power supply (plug with box on the power cord). I have checked and quadruple checked that all connections are plugged into the correct places. I’m stumped!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Usually there are two wires plugged into the power supply - one comes from the motor, and one from a control switch.

Try to unplug and replug the wires to ensure firm connection, but before that check all the wires to see whether some of them got accidentally pinched or cut by the reclining mech.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Usually there are two wires plugged into the power supply - one comes from the motor, and one from a control switch.

Try to unplug and replug the wires to ensure firm connection, but before that check all the wires to see whether some of them got accidentally pinched or cut by the reclining mech.
This sounds like the same thing that went out on mine. I know that this is what went out since I swapped 2 of them and the problem followed the part. I can't find one anywhere and the parts that everyone is showing haven't been the right part.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts