AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long time lurker on these forums, but this is my first time posting a question.

I've recently moved into a new home with a dedicated home theater room, approximately 18 feet long and 12 feet wide. I've currently am running six speakers off a Yamaha HTR-5740 receiver. The speakers are Athena Point 5 Mkii for the center, surround, and rear, and a two Athena Audition Series AS-F2's for my front channels. I am a pretty big fan of these speakers. I'm planning to add some additional Athena's (either more Point 5's or AS-B2's) for height/width effects on the center, as well as at least one matching Athena sub.

The media room is almost entirely for Blu-Ray movies, television (via AppleTV) and sports. I have a few key features that I want to get in a home theater receiver upgrade, listed in order of importance. I want to upgrade my receiver to something that will allow me to increase my sound field and incorporate height/width effects (Pro Logic IIz), as well as tie in the other rear channel speaker that is currently sitting idle. I also want to be able to use HDMI switching on the receiver instead of having to constantly change two inputs (one on the TV and one on the receiver). Finally, I'd like to get something that includes Audyssey setup features.

I've looked at the latest Denon offerings (specifically the AVR-4311CI), and I'm intrigued by the idea of separate channel amps for each speaker, but I don't want/need to push the 140 watts per channel the Denon provides. The Athena surrounds and center are rated at 100 watts, and I don't want to push them too hard. Am I being overly paranoid here? Can the watts be tweaked to manage the power levels per speaker on the Denon?

Also, I'm interested in what other options are available. I'm in no way married to Denon, and curious about how they compare to the other offerings in my price range. My budget is probably around $2000 for a receiver. Is there a good combination of HT receiver and discrete amplifier(s) that would better serve me? I'm not afraid of going into the used market, and if there are higher end options on older equipment that would allow me to get more "bang for the buck" and still meet my requirements, I'm very interested.

Thanks in advance!

Burnaman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.