AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi respected and expert AVS members,
I need your help building Dolby atmos under $1000 speakers only (no sub) for 5.1.4 setup.
Room Size 15 x 12 feet.
Usage 80% Movie and 20% Music
Location Los Angeles, California.

I already have a decent Subwoofer HSU VTF 15 MK 2, suggested by AVS members.
I got HSU since i am near HSU and can pick up no shipping fee.

Respectfully, thank you for your input.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
I need your help building Dolby atmos under $1000 speakers only (no sub) for 5.1.4 setup.
Room Size 15 x 12 feet.

I can pick up speakers around California for discount or no shipping fee.

There's this https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg23-5-1-4-dolby-atmos-home-theater-system/ minus the sub. Would be a couple 100 over but it would be a great system and they're located in Calabasas.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
You could definitely do Ascend Acoustics speakers. They are excellent speakers. I would email Dave from Ascend with what exactly you need. Super honest guy.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Room Size 15 x 12 feet.

I'd get HSU CCB-8 as LRC since 80% movies. For that price you will be very happy with them for HT application. They really good for movies.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Room Size 15 x 12 feet.

HSU HB-1 MK2 (X4) & HC-1 MK2. Well within budget and will sound great. You'll want the best you can for your base layer. Worry about atmos later.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
i checked rsl it show $1865 that is not couple hundred, thats almost double my budget.
Is it too small to get decent atmos speakers for $1000. I can save up i guess and buy later.
That's the price in the bundle with the sub. Call and ask what the price would be without the sub.
You're budget is a little tight to get good 9 good speakers. The rsl in ceiling speakers are about the best there is at $125 each, but that's half your budget.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'm a little confused. First, the OP says he wants a 5.0.4 Atmos setup for $1000, but later says he's just looking for Atmos speakers?
If the OP is looking for the Atmos speakers ONLY - the RSL C34E are highly recommended and will cost $500.
If the OP is looking for BOTH ear-level AND Atmos speakers, then things get a little dicey.
Nothing wrong with the C34Es for Atmos, but there are those who have seemed OK with Micca, Monoprice, and "budget-friendly" Polk speakers. He might save $100-$200 but would it be worth it? For the ear-level speakers, perhaps 3 pairs of Sony Core bookshelfs (using a single one as a centre) could do the trick; when on sale for ~$75/pr.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
You're better off getting better speakers instead of more speakers and $1000 is not nearly enough to buy nine decent speakers, particularly when five of them are LCR and surrounds. $1000 for LCR alone is a more realistic starting point. If you are referring to four in-ceiling speakers for $1000, that is possible.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Here is what I'd do.

Buy 6 NHT 2.1 speakers at $65 apiece, $400 total. This will cover your two side surrounds and the four ATMOS speakers, assuming you can wall/ceiling mount them, angled towards the main listening position. Heck you could do all 9 for $600.

That leaves $600 for your LCR speakers. I would maybe skip the center for now and invest the $6000 in just the LR speakers.

Of course we haven't talked stands for speakers or mounts which can add up quickly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a little confused. First, the OP says he wants a 5.0.4 Atmos setup for $1000, but later says he's just looking for Atmos speakers?
If the OP is looking for the Atmos speakers ONLY - the RSL C34E are highly recommended and will cost $500.
If the OP is looking for BOTH ear-level AND Atmos speakers, then things get a little dicey.
Nothing wrong with the C34Es for Atmos, but there are those who have seemed OK with Micca, Monoprice, and "budget-friendly" Polk speakers. He might save $100-$200 but would it be worth it? For the ear-level speakers, perhaps 3 pairs of Sony Core bookshelfs (using a single one as a centre) could do the trick; when on sale for ~$75/pr.
Ok I mean I need to do atoms setup so need ear level too. I guess $1000 too hard for 9 speakers.
I saw the monolith using the bounce on ceiling. I do have 9 foot ceiling, is that a good speaker.
What a good budget to get a good sound for 5 ear level speaker and 4 atmos you think?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You're better off getting better speakers instead of more speakers and $1000 is not nearly enough to buy nine decent speakers, particularly when five of them are LCR and surrounds. $1000 for LCR alone is a more realistic starting point. If you are referring to four in-ceiling speakers for $1000, that is possible.
Ok so I guess the budget need to be $1500-2000 for decent 9 speakers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here is what I'd do.

Buy 6 NHT 2.1 speakers at $65 apiece, $400 total. This will cover your two side surrounds and the four ATMOS speakers, assuming you can wall/ceiling mount them, angled towards the main listening position. Heck you could do all 9 for $600.

That leaves $600 for your LCR speakers. I would maybe skip the center for now and invest the $6000 in just the LR speakers.

Of course we haven't talked stands for speakers or mounts which can add up quickly.
For LCR and surround which is better? NHT or Monolith or Sony core better?

If I increase my budget which of this better as LR speaker and 2 surround?
The HSU CCB-8 or RSL CG3 or ASCENDED CBM-170 SE

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are willing to wait for another sale on Harmon (from what I can tell they do them relatively often), you could go with one of these two options (full disclosure, I have the infinity set and bunch of other Harman products, like akg headphones, jbl sub, and jbl studio monitors, so I may be a bit biased). It is a tight budget thag is for sure but still workable imo.

Option 1:
Infinity r263 towers (200 each on sale)

Infinity rc263 center (160 on sale). Note however that these are massive so have to make sure you have space for them.

Infinity r162 bookshelf (160 on sale)

Atmos (more on this later).

Option 2:
Jbl studio 580 towers (300 each on sale of I am not mistaken). Could also consider the 590 ( on sale its 400 each I believe) but issue is that the 590s are massive so depends on the space you have and if you are willing to increase your budget a bit.

Either a) Infinity rc263 center (imo would be a better option than the matching jbl) or if you want a perfect asthetic and timbre match, the b) jbl studio 520c (around 150 on sale)

Jbl studio 530 bookshelf (300 on sale)

Atmos (see below).

For atmos, I am assuming you will want upfiring (due to ease of setup). If so, given your budget, the only ones that fit it are the pioneer sp-t22a-lr (can easily be found for around 90). Note that due to lack of native atmos content (although up mixing seems to work pretty decently) and imo the lack of importance in having high quality speakers for atmos, doesn't make sense imo to spend too much of your budget on atmos. I do have the pioneers (5.1.2 setup) and they work relatively well (but this will all be room dependant,for reference my ceiling are 8.x feet high, the atmos speakers are places just at or below the halfway of ceiling and floor, and my mlp is around 8 feet away from them).

Anyway option one would cost you around $900 while option two (assuming jbl 580 instead of 590) would cost you around 1200.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Need more budget for 9 speakers. Or much lower expectations, but even then it would be tough. @tribesdude is on the right path as well as the other posters. From what I have read, the "bounce off the ceiling ATMOS speakers arer a HUGE compromise of sound versus cost.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Ok so I guess the budget need to be $1500-2000 for decent 9 speakers.

Or more. Buy what you can now. The five main 5.1 speakers and subwoofer are going to be the most important speakers and that where you want to put most of your money because good speakers will last a very long time as long as you take care of them. $1,000 for quality LCR are going to serve you better down the road than $1,000 for nine cheap speakers that you'll just want to upgrade in a few years anyway.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts