AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, got a strange problem. I want to get a HD set, but it can't be too big.

The system will go into a closet, which has a 41" wide gap in the door. If I have my pythagorean theorem correct, this means I can fit a 48" 16:9 display or a 51" 4:3 screen.

I've got plenty of depth and height, so it's only the width I'm worried about. There's a good three inches on either side of the closet inside the door, so I can have some bezel.

Beyond that, I'm looking for a high quality set capable of 1080. I don't need integrated speakers. I have excellent light control in the room, so I'm not that worried about brightness, just accuracy. I want CRT, since the black levels in digital devices bug the heck out of me.

It'll be used for a mix of HD, SD, DVD, and computer use.

Any thoughts? I know most of the high end stuff is much larger than this.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Your in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
JVC RS40, Pioneer Elite Receiver, B&W Atmos in ceiling. Draper Onyx.
658 Posts
Your in the right forum. If you want to fully resolve 1080i with a CRT projector you might need a screen bigger than what you have mentioned above. I'm not sure the lenses on a unit with 8 or 9 inch CRT's will focus on screens of that size. I am speculating here so if anybody else can chime in with a better answer please do.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I've run a 7" CRT on a 65" (4:3) screen, no problem. I didn't try it any smaller, but I think it would have worked. As Zolzar mentioned, however, everything has it's limits. You'd have to find out with your particular projector.

You are aware- a screen that small would probably put the projector quite close to the screen!!!! By close, I mean like 5 feet or less- that close!

- David

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Even an ecp needs a larger screen minimum unless you drive it completely improperly not using anywhere near the proper raster size.

I am sure he is in the wrong forum. There is a limit where It can only focus and converge to a screen about 67" diagonal in 4:3 any less requires even less raster and then you are just wating the pj. The ecp retro is the minimum screen size and minimum focus distance pretty much and look at the size of that. I have had one btw

Troy

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
A Sony 1031Q can go as low as 48" wide (60" diagonal, 4:3). From there you could also use less phosphor area by squeezing vertically and horizontally. Your throw distance would be around 80". It can be done, but the 1031Q CANNOT resolve 1080 lines. It can barely do 1080i, and the lines are softened (which for an interlaced picture is almost a feature). 500p is it's sweetspot according to Jason Berg, one of the 1031Q gurus on this forum. :) Now, I've heard that 1080i still looks great on a 1031Q. I run mine at 480p and for DVDs it's stunning.

If you want to really go high resolution, you will have to go with a newer, larger, and more capable projector. The Sony G70Q can also do 48" wide, but it takes up much more space and costs several times more than a 1031Q (but it's still an amazing deal when you consider what MSRP is, about $18K!!!). The G70Q can resolve 1080 lines. At 48" wide it would have an even shorter throw of around 60". Either would be eye candy on such a small screen, the G70, obviously more so. Oh, and either would be eye candy on a normal screen too! :D

Dunno what your budget is, but there's two option. I only know Sony, but I'm sure there are other options from other manufacturers.

Looking on CRTCinema.com's projector specs charts, it looks like there are CRTs that can go REALLY small. The Barco 801 able to do a 36" (diagonal?!) screen size? Is that a typo?!

http://www.crtcinema.com/barcospecs.html

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Why even bother with a pj for these screen sizes? There are lots of directview HDTV capable sets in the 34" 16:9 size that have just as good a picture quality (both are CRT based afterall).

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Yeah, that is valid, but you gotta admit that a CRT FPTV picture at 41" wide would be extremely delicious! You could turn down the contrast and brightness with a smaller screen and get great detail from no blooming and your tubes would last extra long. In the case of the smallest CRT FPTVs, they weigh less than a 41" RPTV and take up just about the same amount of space. They are also about half the price of a new HDTV 41" RPTV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.