AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time here so I am not sure if I am asking this question in the right area. And I know so little about what I am about to ask...

My kids have been hounding me to buy them a projector. They want to watch movies outside against the barn. They are telling me it must be a 1080p home movie projector. I think the idea is cool but my budget is $1000, I could possibly go up $100-200 to get the best value.

I was reading information on a few different sites ( thewirecutter.com, projectorcentral.com, projectorreviewsite.com ) to find the best model 2015 model in the $1000 price range.

Like I said I am clueless. But from what I read the best 1080p for under $1000 is either: BenQ HT1075 or Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2030.

Which one would you buy? Or do you have a better suggestion?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
This is my first time here so I am not sure if I am asking this question in the right area. And I know so little about what I am about to ask...

My kids have been hounding me to buy them a projector. They want to watch movies outside against the barn. They are telling me it must be a 1080p home movie projector. I think the idea is cool but my budget is $1000, I could possibly go up $100-200 to get the best value.

I was reading information on a few different sites ( thewirecutter.com, projectorcentral.com, projectorreviewsite.com ) to find the best model 2015 model in the $1000 price range.

Like I said I am clueless. But from what I read the best 1080p for under $1000 is either: BenQ HT1075 or Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2030.

Which one would you buy? Or do you have a better suggestion?
It sounds like they want a big image, which means a "home theater" projector may not be bright enough. The HC1200 from Benq is under $1000 and is the brightest projector out there with accurate color. It is essentially the HT1075 but 30% brighter. Where the HT1075 can fill a 160" screen area, the HC1200 can go 200".

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
14 and 15. I understand.

Is there a reason you are asking?
I assume that the poster was implying that outdoor movie night might be past their bedtime!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
My only concern about BenQ (any projector) and outdoor use, is having the bugs sucked into the projector. (I might be wrong, but I have always been afraid to use my DLP outside in bug seasons.) I would think for an outside/teenage application a projector with a filter would be the way to go. If you do go the filter route, the Epson HC2000 (1800 lumens) has tested very similar to the HC2030 in terms of lumens in real world tests and can be had for $599 at Amazon. I have two and use one for the 169 inch 16:9 image seen below (pj on lowest light setting and a lamp with 2850 hours on it). For the record, a $15 filter purchase from Epson comes with two filters in a box.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts