AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to rid myself of the TV in my living room. This will be my first projector purchase. Looking for opinions on the best 1080p LED projectors available under $1500. Thank you.

·
Registered
77" A80J, 48" LG C1, X4700H, 5.1.2 Infinity Primus + Bic PL200
2,247 Posts
Why led projector? They aren't that good, at least not yet.

For $1500 range the Epson 5025UB is $1700 but comes with a second lamp worth $250-300, so I'd count that one as under $1500. Its essentially the same as the 5030UB without 3d glasses and 90% of the brightness for $300 savings. You can use the $20 Samsung 3d glasses with it.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not want to change any bulbs for the life of the projector. So I figured LED would be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Give the Benq w1070 a look it's no slouch for 800.00 bucks. Never mind you said LED

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you use it 4hrs a day, every single day, and get one of the Epsons with the free bulb, even in high power that's 2000 days (5.5 years).

I have two family members who live with me and routinely leave on the lights and TV on in the living room during the day while I'm at work. I don't want to gripe over bulb life due to this. So I I'm only interested in LED at this point. I've had dlp projectors and dlp TVs in the past which gave me a boatload of issues with bad bulbs lasting half of their expected lifetime, blowing up, dead on arrival, going out during super bowls, mma pay per views etc.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
LG's PF1500 is definitely the best LED option in this price bracket.

This might be a problem, though:
I have two family members who live with me and routinely leave on the lights and TV on in the living room during the day while I'm at work.

LED projectors are much dimmer than their lamp-based brethren, though. For example the PF1500 delivers about 700 lumens calibrated: it's dimmer than the specs would have you believe. The W1070 mentioned above is also dimmer than its rated 2000 lumens, but still delivers double the maximum brightness of the LG in SmartEco mode (which tends to last 4500+ hours) or about 30-40% more brightness than the LG in Eco mode (which is rated at 5000-6000 hours).

I'm not sure if 700 lumens from the LG is going to cut it for a room with significant ambient light: I can't even watch the W1070 in anything other than darkness in it's Eco mode (this is on a 127" screen); so 30% less brightness from the LG wouldn't work for me in ambient light. I can get away with some lights on with the W1070 (provided they're not pummeling the screen itself) in SmartEco just fine, though.

Tell us a bit more about your room and screen size: if you intend on running a small screen and can handle dropping the ambient light (shades/blinds etc), you could still work an LED.

I've had dlp projectors and dlp TVs in the past which gave me a boatload of issues with bad bulbs lasting half of their expected lifetime, blowing up, dead on arrival, going out during super bowls, mma pay per views etc.
This is largely a thing of the past: I'm not familiar with many currently-sold projectors (unless you include the old 8350 - which was LCD not DLP) that have major problems with lamps. Scan the W1070 thread for real-world bulb life claims and they're almost all above 4500 hours. I did notice a bit of a brightness drop in the first 300 hours (10-15%), but it's stayed very stable since then (currently at 2200 hours). $655.00 (for the projector) plus 2 spare original bulbs ($200 each) would put you at well below your budget, and should give you 4500 * 3 = 13,500 hours of near full-brightness lamp life. (Changing lamps takes 10 minutes and requires two screws; the projector doesn't even need to be taken down). That's several years by any measure: by that point you'd probably be looking into replacing with a 4k projector.

Reactions: Marc Yu

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have two family members who live with me and routinely leave on the lights and TV on in the living room during the day while I'm at work. I don't want to gripe over bulb life due to this. So I I'm only interested in LED at this point. I've had dlp projectors and dlp TVs in the past which gave me a boatload of issues with bad bulbs lasting half of their expected lifetime, blowing up, dead on arrival, going out during super bowls, mma pay per views etc.
How do you know the constant heat of being on 14 hours a day won't fry the LEDs after 6 months?

·
Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Check out the PF 1500 thead to see all of you LED doubters are dead wrong. I owned a 1080 for a while and it was no brighter than my PF 1500. I also own a JVC RS40 and a Sharpvision 20000 and the 1500 in its dimmest mode is brighter than either of those in their brightest mode.

·
Registered
168 Posts
How do you know the constant heat of being on 14 hours a day won't fry the LEDs after 6 months?
I leave my LG PF1500 on 24 hours a day. After a month I can put my hand on it and it is just warm not burning hot like my bulb projectors always are.
The LG PF1500 uses 74 just watts to give me 1400 Lumens. My old Epson 8350 uses 400 watts.

The warranty is 2 years from LG. If it breaks they give me a new one :)

Bulbs are now so much of just yesterdays news.

·
Premium Member
4,999 Posts
On my 1500, especially in dimmest mode, you can hardly hear the fan and there is very little heat emitted. Even in bright mode the fan noise is very light. The heat emitted is about 20% of that from my two larger projectors. Heat will not be an issue unless they under engineered the cooling system.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I leave my LG PF1500 on 24 hours a day. After a month I can put my hand on it and it is just warm not burning hot like my bulb projectors always are.
The LG PF1500 uses 74 just watts to give me 1400 Lumens. My old Epson 8350 uses 400 watts.

The warranty is 2 years from LG. If it breaks they give me a new one :)

Bulbs are now so much of just yesterdays news.
How do you know that if it hasn't broken?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Verge 2 is fantastic, when I was reading the thread on the lg hx300g 4 years ago most of the replies from him were negative based on the 30000 hour lamp life and how long the electrics will last, after 4 years and about 9000 hours of use (about 6 hours a day) mine is still going strong.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Verge 2 is fantastic, when I was reading the thread on the lg hx300g 4 years ago most of the replies from him were negative based on the 30000 hour lamp life and how long the electrics will last, after 4 years and about 9000 hours of use (about 6 hours a day) mine is still going strong.
Bump some of those threads, lots of failures.

I mean look at the first cheapo led thread I see:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1341093-optoma-ml500-led-1280x800-23.html#post23021331

Before criticizing you should maybe spend a bit more time reading on the forums, and much less time posting.

·
Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Perhaps Verge2 works for a bulb manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Perhaps Verge2 works for a bulb manufacturer.
Lol, well that makes no logical sense. Nowhere here have I recommended other products nor have I tried to dissuade anybody from buying anything. I do however think people might need to temper their expectations a bit. Manufacturers can claim whatever the hell they want on the side of the box, doesn't mean y
It will last that long. I bring this up out of personally reading various led threads and witnessing the problems encountered a year or so after they hit the market.

I have though noticed a peculiar trend with regards to the type of people fanatically championing these things. I'm glad the fanboy phase will pass in a few years.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts