AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a home theater for my girlfriend's dad and would like some recommendations for a digital projector. I have an analog PJ myself, a Sony 1272, and am overwhelmed with the digital PJ options.

Here are my requirements:

16:9

less than $4000 street price (can also purchase directly in Japan)

only need basic inputs - composite, S-video, component (progressive preferred)

Will be in partially light-controlled basement with a screen a little less than 8-feet wide.

Is there a "best" choice out there? If not, what are the top choices?

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
what technology? dlp or lcd? although, I don't know if any 16x9 dlps can be had for under 3500.

well for LCd, I say the usual 3 mentioned here as of late:

Sony HS10

Panasonic AE300 (US version is apparently not the L300)

Sanyo PLV-Z1

Sony might be the best bet as it has the higher lumen output for that semi light controlled room you mention

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like DLP for its better blacks and contrast, but my girlfriend was somewhat bothered by the rainbow effect so I think I'll stick with LCD.

I'm also leaning towards the Sony HS10. Will check out the other two you mentioned.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
You can get an older Sanyo PLV60 for ~$3500. The Epson TW100 is also that price.

Unfortunately, the HS10 is likely similar performance (or better) for $1000 less.... so there isn't much point in buying either.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The AE300 might give you the closest DLP-like effect in LCD with the smooth screen technology. Those knowing more about DLP might be able to give you more info.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xander
The AE300 might give you the closest DLP-like effect in LCD with the smooth screen technology. Those knowing more about DLP might be able to give you more info.
Yep. However, he did not say he prefers dlp because of that. He said he prefers dlp for the better blacks and contrast. Thankfully, the ae300 appears as though it is one of the top LCDs in this aspect as well.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
>>Where can I find the specs of AE300 pj?

Look at this Thread for links and info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.