AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just interested in opinions, I have a few speakers in mind but i'm sure there are plenty I have not heard of yet. The speakers I have in mind are B&W 603, but if there is a better speaker for 1k I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
i was in the same general range a few months ago.

i preferred the Monitor Audio RS6, the Revel F12, the Rega R3 and R5, the Quad 21L and the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 (and 9.4) to the B&W 603.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 /forum/post/0

I'm just interested in opinions, I have a few speakers in mind but i'm sure there are plenty I have not heard of yet. The speakers I have in mind are B&W 603, but if there is a better speaker for 1k I'd love to hear it.

That is certainly the one I would recommend.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I can only tell you to listen to different speakers and make your choice based on what sounds best to you.On the other have i have the 603s3's and am extremely happy with them they sound great for music as well as ht.I would consider them to do everything well.If you like them get them.I cant speak as to the other ones VicAjax suggested,i'm sure those are great also.The revel f12 i understand are exceptional speakers according to some on this forum,but i never heard them.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAjax /forum/post/0

i was in the same general range a few months ago.

i preferred the Monitor Audio RS6, the Revel F12, the Rega R3 and R5, the Quad 21L and the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 (and 9.4) to the B&W 603.

All these speaker on your list are stellar speakers in this pricerange,except for the 603s of course.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
LOL Dont forget the HTD Level 3 towers at $700. Incredible value.

When I demoed the 603s imho it wasnt even close and its even cheaper so you save AND get better SQ.

I havent heard the Rockets yet (except for the older 250 Bookshelf) so I cant comment.

Regards

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I guess there is no love for the 603s3's or is it just B&W.

·
Banned
729 Posts
Pulliamm seems to have singlehandedly turned quite a large chunk of people here off from B&W. They nonetheless remain a decent speaker, and I would still think they're "worthy" of an audition.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 /forum/post/0

In my case it was a simple evaluation nothing against them at all.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 /forum/post/0

Those who don't appreciate B&W might as well save money by getting the $160/pr Sony towers from BB, since they can't recognize great sound when they hear it anyhow.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano-M /forum/post/0

Pulliamm seems to have singlehandedly turned quite a large chunk of people here off from B&W. They nonetheless remain a decent speaker, and I would still think they're "worthy" of an audition.

my opinion is purely based on my own listening. however, i freely admit that PULLIAMM's incessant raving has made me more vocal about it.

edit: i rest my case.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano-M /forum/post/0

Pulliamm seems to have singlehandedly turned quite a large chunk of people here off from B&W.

I don't think its the case. While its true that the BW fanboy troll probably steered people away from BW, I doubt it has changed what most think of BW speakers performance. I'm sure those who listened to them and liked them still like them and those who didn't like them don't hate them anymore they did before...

What might have happened is that his constant trolling have made those who didn't particularly enjoy the BWs more vocal.

Me, I'll just say what I've always said, I don't think BW offers a very good value, unless you've heard them and simply love their signature sound, in which case, get what you like.

I'd go for Rocket 450, Ascends 340SE, MA S6, Totem Arro/Sttaf, Magnepan MMGs, etc all before BWs603s... maybe even HTD Lvl3,... I'd check out what Dynaudio, JMLabs, Vandersteen, etc.. have to offer in that price range.. In my experience, BW always seem to end last when compared to other brands...

[edit] If anything from BW, I'd get a CM1 bookshelf +sub before anything from the 600 line. IMHO, the CM line sounds much better than the CM.. But again, you can get 'CM performance' from other brands for less...

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Pulliam you do realize that the more you talk the more customers b&w is losing right? I think you are taking the wrong aproach. Is not that we dont recognize good sound, its you that dont recognize the vast amount of speakers that are way better and even cheaper than the b&w. If I were you I will consider an ear upgrade....maybe surgery will be able to help you.

I still think you are not for real and you only do this to have fun making other people angry...at that you are extremely good...congrats!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I was not making direct comparisons to the other speakers mentioned,they are all fine speakers some better than others according to ones tastes.I like the 603's alot,and if i listen to other speakers i'm sure i'll find one that i like better.But i'm not going to bash or claim one is better than the other based soley on brand.I'm sure there are people that hear a pair of 1k speakers then hear a more expensive speaker but still would prefer the cheaper speaker because they just like it better.It all comes down to what one likes when they listen to speakers.I mean there are people here that think Bose are the best speakers(not me) but they get creamed on these forums.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

Quote:
.I mean there are people here that think Bose are the best speakers(not me) but they get creamed on these forums.

The people who claim BW are the best speakers also get creamed and they're just as idiotic
(as do pretty much anyone who claims that anything is "the best")

Find what you like, buy it, be happy!

[edit] ok well "The people who claim BW are the best" is actually just that one troll... But anyhow
You get what I'm saying

Audition the more you can until you find what you like. There's no "best". One's man piece of crap is another man's "best speaker of the world!", so just find what you like, no one other than you can tell you what that is...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf /forum/post/0

The people who claim BW are the best speakers also get creamed and they're just as idiotic
(as do pretty much anyone who claims that anything is "the best")

Find what you like, buy it, be happy!

[edit] ok well "The people who claim BW are the best" is actually just that one troll... But anyhow
You get what I'm saying

Audition the more you can until you find what you like. There's no "best". One's man piece of crap is another man's "best speaker of the world!", so just find what you like, no one other than you can tell you what that is...

i'm with you there.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Nice pair of used Paradigm Studio 100s.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Probably should of asked this before,but what amplification is going to be used?It may make a difference in the decision making(worth auditioning or not).It'll atleast narrow the choices.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didn't mean to spark a debate about B&W speakers. I do like the 603's but I don't want to be narrowminded and not consider the vast number of other speakers out there.

I will say something though, I HATE focal. God do I hate them.. when I auditioned them they sounded bland, tinny, empty, crowded and weak. And the salesperson was going on about how he bought a pair along with some cables with batteries in them. He was the biggest audio tool I've ever met in my life.

Anyway, there are no dynaudio dealers around here.. which sucks because I hear such good things. How about the whaferdale diamond 9.6? What do you guys think?

My amp is an onkyo receiver rated at 65 watts @ .008 thd

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.