AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, not another best of thread.

But here goes...

I can pick up a brand new pair of KEF Q7's for a little less than a grand.

I've heard them, liked them very much, but I'd like to check out a few others.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

dc

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'd check out Paradigm, B&W, Axiom, etc. Most speaker manufacturers should have a decent line of speakers within that price range, just depends on what stores you have by you to demo.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Consider the Quad 21L's. They are in my opinion Giant Killers. Incredible finishes and very high quality sound to boot. I have been searching for speakers in the 500-3500 dollar range and these are currently the front runners after a search that has taken 6 months. They run about 1300 retail, but you might be able to find them near to your price range.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DreamCatcher

Any suggestions?

Regards,

dc
Without a doubt the most well balanced Floorstander in this price range, I've heard is The Phase Technology Velocity V-12s. They have it all in my opinion: great imaging, detail (without being "bright"), and a HUGE soundstage!

They run $1,000 exactly! I have a full set of PT Velocity's running with my 55TXi/47Ai combo. The sound is just beautiful!

They have a 10 year warranty to boot! "Almost" unheard of in this day and age!

Check this recent thread on the Phase Tech. Brand if your not familar with them, HERE .

HIGHLY Recommended!!!

Go take a listen at your local dealer!

Good Luck!

Patrick

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
2nd NHT ST4's. Completely different sound than the KEF's you are looking out.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
In that price range I've been impressed with the Energy Connissuer - hell - I can never remember how to spell that stupid word. The C7's sound great I think they'd be under $1000 US. They would be worthy of a listen.

It's funny when I first got into this hobby about 30 years ago British speakers were renowned for their accuracy. When I went to get my first pair of what I thought at the time was high-end speakers, I had it narrowed down to two British speakers Celestions and Kefs. I chose the Celestions - Ditton 44's - I still have them in a spare room.

That has no relevence today, I was just reminissing. 'Cause I'm in that room....... Man I'm getting old.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jellyman
Check out the Onix Rockets Line.

Very good reviews from av123 members

http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/rocket_speakers/
Everything I've read about the Onix Rockets has been great... from reviews found through google, to recommendations on these forums, and the ********** forums, they seem to be great! I'm picking up my set as soon as I have enough money for my complete HT setup (projector, screen, speakers, dvd player, receiver, etc.).

·
Registered
334 Posts
All good suggestions.

I have a pair of Wharfedale Evo 40's. I read somwhere that Wharfedale is a sister company of Quad speakers and uses a lot of the same components. I ended up paying about 7 bills for them :) Great finish too. Nice maple veneer. Sound very clean without being bright. I liked them better than Paradigm monitors and Energy C7's. Personal opinion though.

Room acoustics play a good part too.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Lots of good suggestions. A couple of people have mentioned Rockets already, but I will specifically suggest you consider the 550's:

Rocket 550's

I have these in my home and really love them. Lots of speaker for the money although there is obviously much good competition in this price range.

·
Banned
61 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.