AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put together a 2.1 setup for under $1000. So far i leaning towards a Yamaha RX797 for the receiver ($350 on ebay), then some B&W 685 for the fronts ($590). I know it leaves me little room for the sub, but i really liked the 685s when i listened to them. I also listened to the comparible Paradigms and like the B&Ws better. I listen to a wide range of music, but mostly underground hiphop/rap. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
You'll do better to put more of your budget toward speakers. You can buy a new 2-channel receiver for half that amount (the Onkyo 8222), which will leave you $800+ for your speaker set. Should open up the options somewhat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am by no means an enthusiast nor have I ever bought any kind of speaker system but am looking to get a good woofer and 2 satilite set. That $1000 system you should there. How might that stack against something store bought, like say the "Bose" or "Klipsch" sets. Which come with 2 satellites and a woofer.

Price is not much an option, I just want a good 2.1 set, space is though and anything more then 2 speakers is not an option. I am looking to connect these with a blu-ray player(PS3), other game consoles and a PC. Perhaps a little guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
216 Posts
if you are willing to buy used. there are plenty of options to choose from and you will be able to put up a descent system. used b&w bookshelves dm 602s, used velodyne, klipsch, mirage, energy subs, and maybe a denon, onkyo, or nad a/v receivers which will give you flexibility to upgrade to 5.1 in the future. or you may opt to get a 2 channel integrated or stereo receiver from nad, rotel or marantz. you can get these components in the used market for about $1000

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
I just want a good 2.1 set, space is though and anything more then 2 speakers is not an option. I am looking to connect these with a blu-ray player(PS3), other game consoles and a PC. Perhaps a little guidance would be appreciated.

In addition to speakers, you will also need an amplifier (or receiver). Do you have one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts