AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i notice that this topic hasnt been brought up on almost year, so i wanted to reach back out and see if any of the newly developed plasmas are remarkably better for cpu use that the previous ones.

any thoughts?

-rick

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I don't know of any tv's other than the Toshiba Cell that incorporate a central processing unit (cpu) into them. If you're talking about computer use, I would recommend Pioneer or Panasonic plasmas, turn on orbiter and turn down the brightness/contrast a bit. Run windows 7 and use a slideshow wallpaper 10 second turnover and don't keep any icons on the desktop. Have the taskbar set to auto-hide. If you're talking mostly as a media machine a plasma can handle that fine. If you're talking as a work station monitor or something like that, it's probably a bad idea. Avoid Samsung and LG for pc use since they are more prone to IR, but really you probably want either an LED-LCD or DLP if you care about quality but want heavy pc use. It'll cost more and probably not be quite as good, but you won't have to worry as much about IR/BI.

It also depends on your behavoir partly though. The same rules that applied to CRT still apply. Turn it off when you're not using it or in the very least minimize all windows so the desktop is the only thing showing so you aren't leaving windows all over the place to burn-in when you aren't around. The other thing you'd need to watch for are popups from windows that appear when you've left the room. Another good reason to get in the habit of turning it off instead of just leaving it running.

Overall, plasmas will be the most sensitive at the start of their life. Baby them a little the first few hundred hours and IR will be much less of a concern. So it's probably best if you do go plasma to avoid using it for pc the first several hundred hours. After that, they're reasonable as long as you don't get in the habit of leaving windows etc... sitting up there for long periods of time on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw5599 /forum/post/18154007

LCD is best suited for PC use, simple as that.

Yep at least if your looking to use a TV as a primary monitor at close range go with LCD. I use a Panasonic 37" S1 as a monitor, check out the thread in my sig for more info on LCD TV's and PC use/gaming many out there are too laggy to use for serious gaming displays

Plasma is bad for PC's for many reasons, they often don't do exact 1:1 pixel mapping like LCD's do, they suffer from IR/Burn in with static images left on it for too long, they generally do not look good up close due to the way the pixels sort of sparkle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, thank you for all of the information regarding plasma for PC use --- its sort of a mixed bag for me, because i want to use it for my PS3 and my computer. i had heard that gaming on an lcd was laggy, like @frito said, so i wanted to avoid it.... is there a good solution for me?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.