AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the market for an LCD TV that will be in a bedroom. Price from online retailers needs to be under $1,500. I currently don't receive HD programing so the TV will have to have good picture with SD quality basic cable. A built in HDTV tuner would be a nice addition, but is not completely necessary. The TV would primarily be used for SD cable and HD Xbox. The TV will need to have a high response rate for playing video games without smearing. Also, black levels should be better than average to get the full detail out of my games. PC connectivity, while not needed, would be a nice touch for an LCD TV. Sound quality is not an issue because the TV will be connected to external speakers. Size is an issue. The base of the TV can be no wider than 34 1/2". Brands and models I have looked at include most Sharp 26" LCD's including the GA5U, D5U, and D7U; Samsung LN-R268W, a 26" TV with great black levels; LG 26LX1, a 26" with a built in HDTV tuner, cable card slot, and optical audio outputs (I'm pretty sure about that); and the Syntax Olevia LT32HV and the recently announced LT26HVX, the 32" may be a problem with the size of the stand I am putting it on because of the width of the TV's base, also not sure of quality of the two sets. I have also heard rummers of a Hitachi 26" TV to hit the market soon that should meet my criteria. I would like to know which of these TV's would be best in my situation. Also if anyone has other ideas about wich TV I should get, go ahead and recommend them. I am ready for any suggestions for a TV. So far, the TV that stands out to me the most is the LG so if anyone has had any problems with the LG or can find a cheaper price, please leave a post. I would like to buy a TV as soon as possible but if prices will drop drastically after Christmas, I am willing to wait. Please respond.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
You can get a 32" Sharp Aquos at costco, right at the top of your price range. I have the LC-32D5U, and like it for my Xbox. FWIW, all the Aquos have the same picture.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, I really like all the features of the LG 26LX1D, I'll head down to BB or CC to check it out in a couple of days.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My Recommendation would to be to go with the new Samsung series. Either the LNRxx8 or LNRxx9 (5000:1 contrast and HDMI input). Another good choice if you are looking for a budget LCD would be to try the new 26" or 32" Maxent which is incredibly inexpensive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Samsung LN-R268 and LN-R269 have contrasts of 3000:1, not 5000:1. Still a great improvement over the Sharp with 800:1. Haven't looked at Maxent yet.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeManFoo
The Samsung LN-R268 and LN-R269 have contrasts of 3000:1, not 5000:1. Still a great improvement over the Sharp with 800:1. Haven't looked at Maxent yet.
You are comparing false numbers. Dynamic is a little different than static. Sharp is 800:1 static, Samsung is using a dynamic rating.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
For comparison purposes, Sharp's brochure for the new 2005 models quote a dynamic contrast ratio of 4000:1 and that should be comparable to the existing models as the only improvement is faster response time.

However, I will say that the Samsung appears to have excellent black levels (esp. for an LCD). I use my 328W in the bedroom and spend the majority of time viewing in a completely dark room. This was my first LCD TV so I was a little worried about black levels. I was very pleasantly surprised by how good the blacks look on this set.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb
My vote is the Winbook/Powerspec 32" (~$1000) or 30" ($800) at microcenter or winbook dot coms.
:eek:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb
Mike53-

Are you bug-eyed due to the price, or because you don't like the Winbook/Powerspec?
The price...wow!

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Well- hold onto your eyeballs-

If you are lucky enough to have a Microcenter within driving distance (check microcenter.com), they usually have discounted open box LCD panels.

I got my open box 32" Winbook LCD panel for $890 after $100 MIR. It was marked $990 on display in the store. Before buying, I checked it over thoroughly. It was in right-out-the-the-box condition, no scratches, dead pixels or any other issue. It included absolutely everything that came in the box, including the free DVI cable!

Do an LCD forum search for Winbook.

This set purportedly uses an LG panel to boot!

Dual HD-component inputs, DVI + HDCP, VGA, 2x Svideo, 2xcomposite, internal power supply, standard IEC power cable, 1:1 pixel mapping- amazing set for the money.

I doubt that even Black Friday deals in November will match the price/perforamnce of these sets.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I think MicroCenters are in Ohio and west. None around here. We have the usual EC "hoes" who have raised bait and switch to an art form.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We have a microcenter here in Cambridge MA as well

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, thats enough with Micro Center. The closes one to me is 300 miles and their online catalog doesn't have the selection I am looking for. I am looking for ideas about TV's, not the store locations around the world. Again, any help with selecting an LCD TV?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Philips has a refurb 30" LCD display for $800 after coupon. I think I saw the same one at Best Buy and it looked pretty good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a xbox connected to my Winbook 32" and the PQ is amazing. I got it from microcenter for $999, after $100 rebate.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm currently trying to figure out the remote code for this. I've got the mx500 and I've used the learn function but the TV is still spoty at getting the signal. I'm starting to think the TV has a pretty horrible remote censor and it's not the remotes fault. Has anybody else been having these problems and has anybody been able to fix it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.