Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Requirements:

3.0 or 3.1 setup

$700 Budget

No towers

Smaller is a plus!  They will go on a wide TV stand

Treble clarity is needed for my hearing loss

Main use is theater, but needs to be good for music too

What I've been thinking about so far.  Keep in mind I haven't heard any of these since Best Buy doesn't carry much, and I don't have any audiophile buddies.  So all I know is reviews, so your advice is paramount.

Listed by Cost:

NHT SuperZero 2.1 x 2

NHT Absolute Center x 1

Cost $530 NHT Site (Room for Cheap Sub)

Klipsch Reference RB 41 II x 2

Klipsch Reference RC 42 II x 1

Cost $550 Crutchfield (Room for Cheap Sub)

PSB Alpha B1 x2

PSB Alpha C1 x 1

Cost $550 Crutchfield (Room for Cheap Sub)

Boston Acoustics A25 x 2

Boston Acoustics A 225C x 1

Cost $550 Crutchfield (Room for Cheap Sub)

Polk Rti A1 x 2

Polk Csi A4 x 1

Polk Sub Free with Crutchfield Special (PSW 110 or 111)

Cost:$575 Crutchfield

Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 45 x 2

Definitive Technology Pro Center 1000 x 1

Cost $620 Crutchfield

PSB Image B4 x 2

PSB Image C4 x 1

Cost $630 Crutchfield

Boston Acoustics A26 x 2

Boston Acoustics A 225C x 1

Cost $650 Crutchfield

Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 x 2

Cost $660 Crutchfield

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

No Ill buy any authorized good dealer.

I forgot to add the NHT.  I edited and put that up there.  I just used crutchfield as my base pricing

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laanguiano  /t/1515403/best-3-0-3-1-movie-music-bookshelf-speakers-under-700#post_24296993

No Ill buy any authorized good dealer.

I forgot to add the NHT.  I edited and put that up there.  I just used crutchfield as my base pricing

How big is your room?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Another option Ascend 170x3 and a BIC F12 would be right at $700.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Our couch is only about 12 feet from the tv and speakers.  And the width of the room is about 18ft.  Behind our couch is the kitchen and is another space about the same size

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not sure that stand is wide enough for 3.1. Could you wall mount the left and right? Or maybe 2.1 of better quality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was scared of going 2.1 for movies with hearing loss and dialogue??

He table is 60" across. Is that long enough or 3 speakers?

The pics dimensionally are off. Darn camera phone lens

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laanguiano  /t/1515403/best-3-0-3-1-movie-music-bookshelf-speakers-under-700#post_24297805

I was scared of going 2.1 for movies with hearing loss and dialogue??

He table is 60" across. Is that long enough or 3 speakers?

The pics dimensionally are off. Darn camera phone lens

Phantom center can work for you, with a pair of speakers on that cabinet.

However if you are un-comfortable, then look at HTD Level Two speakers - they are

nice for the price.

Bookshelf
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers

Center
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Center-Channel-Speaker

with the Aviano sub that I linked in post #8

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
You might also consider the KEF Q300s from accessories4less.com for $499 or Monitor Audio RX-1 Silver from audioadvisor for the same price.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1515403/best-3-0-3-1-movie-music-bookshelf-speakers-under-700#post_24298118

Phantom center can work for you, with a pair of speakers on that cabinet.

However if you are un-comfortable, then look at HTD Level Two speakers - they are

nice for the price.

Bookshelf
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers

Center
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Center-Channel-Speaker

with the Aviano sub that I linked in post #8

They're located in Plano - so you can go and visit/listen to them.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
You are definitely headed down the right path. I'm in the same boat as you. I already have my main theater/man cave already set up. However I convinced my wife to let me loose on a 3.1 in our living room. I told her I refuse to watch our tv shows out of tv speakers upstairs. She HATES moving down to the man cave just to watch a few shows. Anyway, after A LOT of research, and with how truly amazing my HSU VTF-15 has been in my 20x24' home theater downstairs, I pulled the trigger on this package...

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid1pkg.html

It's a little above your price range, but take a look at the Value 1 package. It's right in your range. The reason I went with HSU research is how blown away I was with their subwoofers. My brother turned me to the HSU sub for my current set up, and I couldn't be happier. The more I read about HSU's speakers, I had to pull the trigger. They come on Tues. I upgraded to the Hybrid 1 due to the larger sub. This move was against my religion as I don't believe anyone should invest money into speakers they haven't heard before, but I've read nothing but good to great reviews about HSU's speakers. The nice thing is, if I am disappointed or simply don't like them, I can pack them back up and ship them back within 30 days. But I have a feeling I will be satisfied.

Due to my personal experience, if you aren't interested in HSU. I would recommend Klipsch or NHT, especially NHT due to the smaller speaker size, but to each is own. Have you had a chance to hear all of these different speakers?

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
fwiw, 3 of these http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair and a pair of these http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629 imo this sub is just as good as any sub in the $200-$300 price range. it wont get you to 20hz( no sub in this price range will if they do it will be very unlistenable and ruin your movie experience) but good output to higher20's and 30's. just as good as the bic f-12 but way cheaper. having duel subs will help with the bass response in your open concept room. as for music it depends on what you listen to and at what volumes.just like very much any sub in this budget music will suffer with deep bass music at high volumes. just my 2 cents. also placing 3 speakers on that table will not give you a very big soundstage. placing L&R speakers on some stands placed wider apart will improve your sound.

·
Registered
737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laanguiano  /t/1515403/best-3-0-3-1-movie-music-bookshelf-speakers-under-700#post_24296951

Requirements:

3.0 or 3.1 setup

$700 Budget

No towers

Smaller is a plus!  They will go on a wide TV stand

Treble clarity is needed for my hearing loss

Main use is theater, but needs to be good for music too

What I've been thinking about so far.  Keep in mind I haven't heard any of these since Best Buy doesn't carry much, and I don't have any audiophile buddies.  So all I know is reviews, so your advice is paramount.

Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 45 x 2

Cost $620 Crutchfield

Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 x 2

Cost $660 Crutchfield
Best Buy Magnolia stores carry the Pro Monitor and Studio Monitor series. You should be able to demo them if you have one near by. Check the dedicated DefTech threads for more info - but if you decide you like them, check out a well regarded eBay seller "bajawaverunner". It's an "unofficial" DefTech refurb seller. (You'll save 40-50% off retail leaving more $ more a sub...)

Also, the PC2000 is a better match to the PM1000s... DefTech messed up on their naming scheme for that series for some reason.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts