AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommeded a good 3 and or 5 channel. My current B&K 3 channel Amp is acting up and I am looking to get a different unit. This is what my setup curretntly consists of:

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Fronts

Dynauido Contour SCX Center

Dynaudio LR120s. Rears.

Amps I am looking at:

Bel Canto

Butler

NAD Silver Series

Aragon

Fosgate

etc... New or used.

·
Registered
237 Posts
What's the matter with the B&K? Probably not worth getting a new amp versus getting that fixed.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
B&K just doesn't sound good. Not sure, but I could of got someones crappy repair job. Just seeing what my options are. I took the unit apart and cleaned the contacts etc.. and now it seems to be working ok, but at high volumes I am getting distortion out of Center channel. Narrowed it down to the Amp, this is most likely why I haven't noticed it, because I don't get a chance to turn it up, because of having small kids, so mosly moderate to low listening levels. Hell I might just trade it back in where I got it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Dyna Confidences? *drool* :D

I'd definitely be looking at your first two choices with a speaker system like that! If you're tight on a budget (I'd be, if I had a pair of fronts like that) - the last two would also be satisfactory - like the Aragon *shameless plug!*.

Not to familiar with the bel Canto's - though their reputation precedes them. I loved the Butler's smoothness and would absolutely fight for the chance to hear them with the Confidences, but I haven't yet found that combination on a showroom floor.

Good luck!!!

Christian

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Christian: I sell Dynaudio on the side, well I do installs that is. I been doing this for sometime so the Confidences where not too bad at cost. So that leaves me with some what of a budget for my front 3 as far as Amps go , just looking to replace the B&K, ironically I might trade it back into the place that sold it to me. I never new this Amp did this till one day the wife and kids when away for the weekend and sure enough I cranked up the tunes and there the distortion was, narrowed it down the the Amp after a few days of testing. Also I was told at a place that carries B&K, that this Amp was fine, said I had the speaker outputs cranked up to high on the back of the Amp..

Woodrow, isn't that there reference Amp? I thought that thing was like around 5K?

·
6,091 Posts
Yeah, it's the statement line amp.

But cut me some slack, I don't get to recommend it often based on the $4999 MSRP, but you said the "best" 3-5 channel amps...you didn't say anything about price.:D

Seriously though, I don't know if it's one of the best, I just thought I'd throw it out there since you didn't mention price.:)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Did you move the channel on your amp for the center channel to a different channel for the center channel? Did you still have the problem? If you moved it, then the channel that used to be the center channel would now have the problem? I think you should test your amp some more first....

·
6,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman
Woodrow: You are correct, I didn't mention price and I don't need to cut you some slack becaue it would be one of the Amps I would be looking at. My problem is the damn thing wouldn't fit in my rack! ;)
Well that makes me feel better.:)

Can't help with the size. I came into a little money awhile back and decided to buy something I wouldn't if I had to save for it. Enter the P5.

I barely got it in to where I needed it. I don't have a dedicated room, so it was a traditional rack unit where I placed it with the front feet halfway off the front shelf. BARELY enough room. I had to do some modding to make the shelf strong enough.

Believe it or not, I did no measurements whatsoever. I figured I'd get it in somewhere. Crazy, I know.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone recommeded a good 3 and or 5 channel. ... New or used.
Well, Bryston's are considered pretty "good."

I'd sure look at them if my Dyn's needed new juice.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AcuraCL: Bryston is very good, I am looking for dealers in my area. Musical Fidelity Mono blocks and Butler Audio come to mind also.. The B&K is very nice on HT, but on Audio it doesn't seem to shine that much.

Megalith: Around the $600 bucks range seems to be the going rate for most decent 3 channel Amps. But I am sure you can still find something cheaper.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
AcuraCL: Bryston is very good, I am looking for dealers in my area....
Right, and with a 20-yr transferrable warranty, they seem a worthwhile investment even as "used" items.

Good luck !!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Some suggestions:

Cary Cinema 5: $4,000

Audio Refinement Multi 5: $2,500

Gemstone Blue Diamond: $2,300-2700 for 5 or 7 channels

EAD 5300: $4,000 ?

SimAudio Aurora 5: $4,500

McCormack DNA HT-5 $3,700

·
6,091 Posts
Quote:
Chris: Just measure, there is no way that reference Amp will fit! :(

The NAD looks pretty sweet and I Can get a good deal on, and or a Aragon 8008 which looks promising.....
See what you get for measuring!:D

The only issue I have personally with NAD is their customer service. Wasn't good for me. So bad that if my NAD T973 breaks under warranty, I'd never even bother calling them. I don't need that kind of frustration again.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The Bryston 6BSST is a hell of an amp. I'm trying to find a way to afford it at the moment, but I'll probably just go with the 9B. My speakers are 93dB sensitive and only go down to about 50Hz so I probably don't need that much amp anyways.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V
The Bryston 6BSST is a hell of an amp. I'm trying to find a way to afford it at the moment, but I'll probably just go with the 9B. My speakers are 93dB sensitive and only go down to about 50Hz so I probably don't need that much amp anyways.
If you can find a 6B ST, that might be the way to go. I just picked up one used in mint condition. My dealer that sold it to me said there is virtually no difference between the ST and SST models except some minor tweaks. I also contacted James Tanner VP of Bryston and he reiterated the same thing. Even though the 6B ST carries the ST label, he said the 6B and the 14B were the first amps that incorporated the SST technology. James said the SST models of the two have some upgraded parts in the power supplies.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely look into that. Especially with the 20yr transferable warranty you just can't go wrong.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.