AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a projector that only has component and 1 Cat5E running to it. The current PJ doesn't have HDMI and because of this I neglected to run HDMI when we remodeled about a year ago. Even if I upgrade (I will) I'll likely just use component instead of HDMI due to the current cost of single cable baluns.

Because of this, I'm looking for a simple AVR with composite to component transcoding to support things like old game systems. Older models are perfectly fine but I really like Yamaha gear. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Does anyone know for sure if the Yamaha RX-V567 supports component conversion? It clearly says it does "analog to HDMI" but says nothing about conversion to component.

·
Registered
652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamcinty /forum/post/20855327

I have a projector that only has component and 1 Cat5E running to it. The current PJ doesn't have HDMI and because of this I neglected to run HDMI when we remodeled about a year ago. Even if I upgrade (I will) I'll likely just use component instead of HDMI due to the current cost of single cable baluns.

Because of this, I'm looking for a simple AVR with composite to component transcoding to support things like old game systems. Older models are perfectly fine but I really like Yamaha gear. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Does anyone know for sure if the Yamaha RX-V567 supports component conversion? It clearly says it does "analog to HDMI" but says nothing about conversion to component.

mamcinty,

I've not actually done what you are looking for, but I'll take a stab at it.

I have the prior generation Yamaha, Rx-v765. The newer one's behave very similarly according to the threads. Yes, taking a composite analog input, and making available for output (as is) via component is doable. In my case, reference Yamaha Addendum for Audio/video connection, UABG, WT92500.

Two step process, choosing audio in, then linking any other video in to that for output on chosen connections. The new Yamahas seem to be a bit more intuitive.

If you'd like a pdf of this addendum to the manual, PM me.

Mkard

Have fun with your new Yamaha!

Mkard

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mkard,

I really appreciate your finding this addendum but I'm not sure it answers my question. I want to convert composite to component video but all the connections it shows assume that the video monitor output of the AVR is using the same connection type as the source. In fact there is a note at the bottom of the addendum that says:

"If the video monitor is connected to this unit via an analog video

connection (component video or composite video connection), connect

the external component to this unit via the same analog connection"

which doesn't make it sound like it's talking about conversion.

My parents actually have a RX-V659 which will do this for sure. The Yamaha site specifically lists component video upconversion in the specs. I just can't figure out which units that i can actually buy now that have the feature. None of the newer HDMI supporting units list this feature so I assume they don't have it. Am I wrong about that? Do the units that do analog to HDMI also support composite/s-video to component?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
29,316 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.