AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a TV for my home office that will be dedicated almost solely to playing video games with occasional DVD watching. Mostly vintage stuff like NES, Genesis, SNES, etc. A bit of PlayStation 2 and GameCube now and then, but not so much that I feel the need to fork over the extra cash for a 480p capable set (unless it fits my price constraint of $1000US). I'd like 2 component inputs though to accommodate the PS2 and a DVD player.

Audio quality is irrelevant since I route all of my systems through an A/V switcher that sends all audio to my receiver.

Nice geometry (after service menu tweaking if necessary) since game menus often make bad geometry very noticeable. Not afraid of going into service menus to optimize color, geometry, etc., so the best out-of-box performance isn't necessary.

As I said, budget is $1000US.

I'm currently looking at the Sony KV-32FV310. Sears has it for $900. Good price? I don't need the PIP or fancy audio features, so a set with the same video performance minus all the junk at a lower price would be fine.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
280 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's just say that I have yet to be impressed by the Samsung tubes. I've seen that particular model and can't say I'd want it in my office. Their DLPs are really nice though.

I've been burned by Panasonic before and I'm not really interested in purchasing anything from them. Besides, after shipping at J&R, that one comes to $1225. Saw it at Circuit City tonight for the same price I think.

I'd much rather get great 480i performance for $950 instead of spending $1200+ for HD capability that I won't ever use. I already have a 92" screen in the living room (had a digital projector, sent it back, now I'm playing the waiting game, long story) that will go into a dedicated theater room when I move, with a Hitachi Ultravision RPTV going in the living room. This 32" model will likely never see an HD box attached to it as long as it's in my office, and after that I'll probably retire it to bedroom duty. This set is for playing Zelda and Gunstar Heroes.

I suppose one could say that not spending the extra $300 is foolish given the way the market is going, and if this were my main TV I'd probably agree. However, if I'm never going to use this set for HD playback, isn't it foolish to spend the extra $300?

Thanks for the advice though, very much appreciated. I understand where you're coming from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.