AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the 24" Gateway FDH2400 and I am looking to replace it with a 32" HDTV to use as a PC monitor for PC gaming and web browsing. I will not be using it for console gaming or HDTV watching, I have another TV for that. It will only be used as a PC monitor.

My requirements are:

32". That's the size that works for me. I will be sitting 4 feet from the screen.

1080P. Needs to have a resolution of 1920x1080. Usually 1080p would not matter for HDTV viewing at this size but it is necessary as a PC monitor.

No overscan. Needs to display all pixels in 1920x1080 resolution with no overscan, preferably on both VGA and HDMI inputs but if not on VGA then at least on HDMI.

Text Sharpness. I know this is a tall order for HDTVs over 32" at 1080p due to the high dot pitch when compared to LCD monitors but the only way I was able to convince the little woman
to get a 32" HDTV as a PC monitor was to assure her that the text would not be blurry, blocky, or jaggy.

My secondary concerns, in order of importance are:

Glossy screen preferred but not necessary.

Input lag is a concern but I am not obsessed about it like so many people are. In all my PC and console gaming, I have barely even noticed it and I do not play games online.

Viewing angle. I am going to be sitting 4' feet away from this thing, I will be looking at it right in the center, no one else is going to be sitting and watching next to me. Unlike others, I don't care that much about it nor do I notice it that often.

Aesthetics. I would prefer a thin screen bezel.

Price. I would like to spend less than $1,000 and all my choices can be found for around that price.

Considering all of this, I have narrowed my choices down to:

Sony Bravia KDL-32XBR6 (Nice look but I worry about the text blurriness during PC monitor use in this model).

Panasonic Viera TC-32LZ800 (Great input lag. Hate the looks of it, screen bezel is huge. The sister Viera TC-xxLZ85 line got mediocre reviews. Has a color text and buzzing noise issue that is a small concern but not a deal breaker).

Sharp AQUOS LC-32GP3U
(Better, stronger, faster
when compared to its troublesome ancestor the Sharp AQUOS LC-37GP1U).

Samsung LN32A650 (Although it does not have 120hz like it's bigger siblings, that is not critical for PC monitor use and the entire A650 line has been getting rave reviews in all the tech mags. Input lag is a concern.)

So considering my needs, which of this four models would you recommend? I need to make my purchase this week before my wife changes her mind so I would appreciate all your feedback and comments.

Thank you.

·
Registered
16,167 Posts
Sony, Samsung, and Panny are generally considered the best. Go look at them in stores to see which you prefer. Nobody can answer for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been using my LN32A650 as a computer monitor for about 4 months now. It is awesome. I also have a 24" Gateway FDH2400. This samsung is better. Best computer monitor i have owned. Right now Newegg has them for under 900 shipped!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am currently considering the same option as the OP. 32" 1080p....

But I will be using my for both a PC monitor (and gaming) and an HDTV....

I saw the Gateway 30" monitor (XHD3000) and it looks perfect for my needs (great resolution, HD PIP, wall mountable, etc)... but I don't trust Gateway's support or reliability.

The Sony looks nice... but I can't seem to find anyone that can supply direct first hand knowlege or photos....

·
Registered
513 Posts
If looking at the Sony make sure you view it in 1080p and over HDMI to get a real idea. And also try viewing some black text on a dark blue background. My 37" XBR6 looks god awful with text like that. Ditto with red text on a black background. Horribly fuzzy. Otherwise text is extremely sharp.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I currently use my 32xbr6 as my primary PC monitor (next to a viewsonic 19"), also use it as a TV in my room.

I love it with my pc, Use a DVI to HDMI cable, you need to set up the HDMI input correctly for PC use, turn pixel ratio to 1:1, turn game mode on and photo mode on, turn off all the extra processing in advanced image settings and all that as normal, I get zero input lag with this setup, I read in some other thread that he tested his 32xbr6 for input lag using the timer program and with HDMI connected to a PC at 1080p in photo mode it had a response of 8ms, this is the lcd's rated response speed so thats as good as it gets speed wise on it as far as text goes and the image in general its amazing connected to a PC, before i decided on this set i had an Insignia 32" set (crappy and cheap i know thats why i returned it) this tv blows it out of the water in every respect especially PC use, once you get the input setup correctly it looks exactly like a PC monitor should, it in fact looks better than my 19" viewsonic sitting next to it esp. with dark images

heres some images i posted in another thread of my tv connected to my PC

this one is a close up on the sceen taken to show what video vs photo mode looks like
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post15987098

and heres a shot of my tv on PC input full screen, its much sharper than this IRL and brighter i used my cellphone to snap the photo so its a bit blurry but you can get an idea of what it looks like
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15990406

as a PC gamer for some 13 years now I can say that I'm in no way disappointed with my 32xbr6 on my pc

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just tested the 40" v4100 against my panny via DVI to HDMI and the lag difference was considerably more, 32ms. That's in "game mode" or "picture mode" made text clear for sure but the lag difference was a deal breaker. It's a shame too I liked everything else about it.

·
Banned
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwinter /forum/post/15440868

If I understand correctly, the Panasonic Viera TC-32LZ800 also has a fake 100hz setting called motion focus that helps cut down blur.

Go with Samsung LN32A650. I am damn happy with it with my old Geforce Fx5500 video card. No problem what so ever. Just to make sure you download latest driver from your video card manufacturer. During my first installation i was shock with poor graphics and boxy text. I thought of getting a new graphic card but unfortunately i download new drivers and walla... 1920 x 1080 with beautiful graphics and text. Hey i am a graphic designer and what do you think how important a monitor for me. Oh ya... no picture distortion also! Circle is circle not oval unlike some others.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32A650-32-Inch-1080p-Touch/dp/B00141AYR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236617731&sr=1-1

·
Registered
15 Posts
while the manufacturers seldom talk about this, somehow i think i read somewhere that sharp might use these - & they've got better color reproduction.

who else might use them? opinions on whether this is worth considering?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/15996047

I currently use my 32xbr6 as my primary PC monitor (next to a viewsonic 19"), also use it as a TV in my room.

I love it with my pc, Use a DVI to HDMI cable, you need to set up the HDMI input correctly for PC use, turn pixel ratio to 1:1, turn game mode on and photo mode on, turn off all the extra processing in advanced image settings and all that as normal, I get zero input lag with this setup, I read in some other thread that he tested his 32xbr6 for input lag using the timer program and with HDMI connected to a PC at 1080p in photo mode it had a response of 8ms, this is the lcd's rated response speed so thats as good as it gets speed wise on it as far as text goes and the image in general its amazing connected to a PC, before i decided on this set i had an Insignia 32" set (crappy and cheap i know thats why i returned it) this tv blows it out of the water in every respect especially PC use, once you get the input setup correctly it looks exactly like a PC monitor should, it in fact looks better than my 19" viewsonic sitting next to it esp. with dark images

heres some images i posted in another thread of my tv connected to my PC

this one is a close up on the sceen taken to show what video vs photo mode looks like
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post15987098

and heres a shot of my tv on PC input full screen, its much sharper than this IRL and brighter i used my cellphone to snap the photo so its a bit blurry but you can get an idea of what it looks like
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15990406

as a PC gamer for some 13 years now I can say that I'm in no way disappointed with my 32xbr6 on my pc

Thank you so much for making this post fritos. I had initially got a Samsung B530 for PC, but whenever I was playing FPS games, it would blur so badly it was unbelievable.

I went back to Best Buy, exchanged it for the Sony, and I'm not looking back. This TV performs as well as a standard LCD monitor, and the blacks look great to boot. The text and colours of text are a bit blurry, but I can completely live with that, as games look great.

If anyone is looking for 32" LCD TV for PC Gaming, the Sony 32xbr6 should be your monitor of choice.

However, having said that, if you are looking for sharper text, I would say go with the Samsung B530. You can't have both though, so choose wisely =)

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
13,817 Posts
I tried the LG 32LE5300 - didn't like the text on it, but looked great on blurays. Mine had the MA panel rather than the superior IPS panel.

I tried the Panasonic TC-L37U22 - 37" which looked better than the LG 32LE5300, but it was too big for a PC monitor, and the text still wasn't up to my picky standards (thought I think in general it's fine) The monitor was just too big at 37 inches for my desk space.

I'm looking for a 32" that has really good looking text! Opinions?

·
Registered
182 Posts
When my NEC crt computer monitor expired after seven years of exceptional performance, I decided to go the lcd tv route for a replacement. Went to best buy just before Christmas to look over the 32" to 37" offerings. The absolute best looking picture on the shelf came from the 32" and 37" Toshiba E200U models: decent to good blacks and color fidelity, crisp text and graphics display, adequate sound. Since I've always experienced good to excellent performance from Toshiba products, I bought the 37E200U for $449. It's the best and biggest computer monitor I've ever had. The online newspaper is nearly as big as the real thing. Text display is flawless at 1024 x 768.

It's also a great backup HDTV that rivals my current set (an RCA 38" CRTHD) in every area but black levels. The 200U Toshiba line is only 60hz and non-LED but don't let that deter you. When using it as a television, I haven't seen a hint of motion blur. I believe that you can safely expect the same high level of performance from the 32" version. In fact, from three or four feet, you might like the 37" even better.Yes, it is a 1080P so you can set the resolution off the charts if you prefer.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA don /forum/post/19870065

When my NEC crt computer monitor expired after seven years of exceptional performance, I decided to go the lcd tv route for a replacement. Went to best buy just before Christmas to look over the 32" to 37" offerings. The absolute best looking picture on the shelf came from the 32" and 37" Toshiba E200U models: decent to good blacks and color fidelity, crisp text and graphics display, adequate sound. Since I've always experienced good to excellent performance from Toshiba products, I bought the 37E200U for $449. It's the best and biggest computer monitor I've ever had. The online newspaper is nearly as big as the real thing. Text display is flawless at 1024 x 768.

It's also a great backup HDTV that rivals my current set (an RCA 38" CRTHD) in every area but black levels. The 200U Toshiba line is only 60hz and non-LED but don't let that deter you. When using it as a television, I haven't seen a hint of motion blur. I believe that you can safely expect the same high level of performance from the 32" version. In fact, from three or four feet, you might like the 37" even better.Yes, it is a 1080P so you can set the resolution off the charts if you prefer.

Do you do any PC gaming? Any online gaming? I am thinking about getting the Toshiba 37" as a monitor.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon
Check out the LG 32LE5400 with IPS panel. It supports chroma 4:4:4 which is most suitable for PC usage. Most of the above mentioned TV's do not support chroma 4:4:4.
What is chroma 4:4:4?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.