AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure I am going to get the Toshiba 34HF83, but before I buy, which will be in about 2 weeks, I want to make sure this is the best set. I know most people will say Sony, but those are a little out of my price range, Phillips are also expensive but I could afford one, I don't know too much about Panasonic, but I could afford one (about the same price of the Toshiba), Samsung doesn't have a 34" (that I know of). Basically, I'll take any opinion, and those comparing the Toshiba to a Sony are very much welcomed. Any comment on this would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
587 Posts
When I bought my sony 34xbr800 last year, I was thinking the same thing. I almost bought the Toshiba until I found the Sony at the toshiba price on the net. I did my homework to ensure the merchant was authorized by Sony, and then took the plunge. I never had a problem and have a 2 year in home warrantee (on all XBR's).

However... After viewing the latest Toshiba's in the stores lately, I don't see how you'd go wrong with them either.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The Sony 34HS510 is about the same price at Sears as the Toshiba 34HF83 (within $100) so those are competive, of course the higher resolution Sears 34XBR910 is about $500 more. I'd say both the Sony and Toshiba models are superior to the Panasonic, Philips, and Samsung models. So you are fine to narrow down your choices to Sony and Toshiba.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I agree with what's being said here. I bought the XBR910, but only because I got it for $250 more than the HS510. I mainly bought the set as a causual viewing setup to compliment my G-20 D-ILA front projection rig. So in my case I wasn't necessarily determined to get the best set on the planet. I looked very closely at the Sony 34HS510 and Toshiba 34HF83, and quite honestly I could have been extremely happy with either one. I also saw the competing Philips and Panasonic 34" sets and I agree with ThumperBoy, both are a few notches below the Sony and Toshiba sets. I never even considered the Samsung units, because they don't have a 34" model and I did not care much for what I saw in their other offerings.

--Jerome

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I compared the Toshiba 34 wide and Sony 34xbr800, I found the Toshiba's remote and onscreen interface more work than the Sony. You may not be taking a close look at this now but with the various mode changes you will need to make over the next few years as HD comes online very s l o w l y, it's worth considering.

·
Registered
39 Posts
JVC (Best 34" Widescreen)

34" Wide Screen HDTV Monitor

AV-34WP84

FEATURES:

34†Wide, Flat Picture Tube w/INVAR Shadow Mask

D.I.S.T. 1500i – JVC’s D.I.S.T. seamlessly up-converts any video source to 1500i thereby drastically reducing jagged edges and increasing the resolution of the original video source

Exclusive Digital 16M 10bit 3D Y/C Comb Filter – this state-of-the-art comb filter provides the best available sampling between frames for unparalleled edge smoothing and a natural looking picture

HD Range Digital Super Detail Circuitry (DSD) – keeps the picture completely focused for both still and highly active images

6 Aspect Modes with EZ Fill – selectable aspect modes let you choose the best viewing mode for your tastes. New EZ Fill adds HD Panorama and Cinema Zoom to eliminate HD source black bars

Energy Star Compliant

Capable of receiving up to 181 channels

Natural Cinema – coupled with DSD, this circuit applies 3–2 Pull Down technology to smooth out the edges of video converted to DVD from original film sources, even 1080i sources

Two-Tone Wide Cabinet Design

Advanced Hyper Surround (AHS) – employs an additional six “virtual speakers†to make the TVs sound completely surround you without the need for rear speakers

A Full Complement of Features and Enhancements – includes a Pure Flat Screen with INVAR Shadow Mask, 2 Tuner Split w/POP, Freeze, and Index, Digital Noise Clear Circuitry (NCC), 5 Video Status Settings (D65/St/Ga/Th/Dy), Selectable VSM, and more

Accepts 480i/480p/720p/1080i and displays at 1500i

Packaged with an Electro Luminescence based, All Button Illuminated Universal Remote Control Unit. Remote also has Direct Input buttons

SPECIFICATIONS:

Connectability: Equipped with a DVI w/HDCP compatible digital interface, 1 Smart Input, 2 Component Video Inputs, 2 S-Video Inputs (1 Front), 3 AV Inputs (1 Front), a Variable/Fixed Audio Output, Subwoofer Output and a Center Channel Input, and AV Compu Link

Dimensions (W x H x D): 912 x 624 x 593 mm

Weight: 74 kg.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
increasing the resolution of the original video source
Someone should tell JVC that it's impossible for a TV to do the above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.