AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first 3D capable set and though I'm not a huge fan of 3D in general I was wondering what the collective opinion is of the best 3D bluray? (I remember when 5th Element superbit DVD was "it" for demos...)

I would assume something brand newish. Hobbit perhaps?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Avatar, for the longest time, was the movie to demonstrate masterful 3D. Not sure if The Hobbit has taken that torch (I haven't seen it in 3D), but I did recently come across a series of articles at CinemaBlend.com which attempts to judge 3D features using specific criteria. Go to the site, and do a search for 'to 3d or not to 3d'.

It's funny you mention The Fifth Element - my wife and I recently watched that on our new projector, and I was a bit disappointed with the picture quality. I guess the studio didn't feel it was worth putting more money into another format conversion.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I would still rank Avatar 3D as one of the overall best 3D Blu-rays out there but Life Of Pi, Tron, Hugo, Prometheus and perhaps surprisingly, the old b/w horror film "Creature From The Black Lagoon" rank right up there as well. Hobbit 3D looks outstanding as well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Open Season is really good 3D if you ask me. I do not own Tron yet but plan on getting it. Avatar is good but I think Open Season is better. I recently purchased a few more 3D movies because I just finished my Home Theater but I don't plan on watching them until our seats arrive.

I will comment on the others as soon as my seats come in!

Edit: I almost forgot this one...Final Destination 5 is really good 3D! Some of the best pop out 3D i've seen outside of IMAX 3D movies. Most 3D you see these days is depth not pop out but FD5 does a really good job of pop out. Rent that one!!!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
If you're not a fan of 3D cartoons, I would say go with the following:

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (I would say this is the "it" non-cartoon movie, but the movie itself...)

The Hobbit

Transformers 3

Hugo

Final Destination 3D

Titanic and Captain America are also really good conversions, IMHO.

Tron: Legacy and Prometheus are good 3D movies, but the 3D is more subtle (which many here on this forum seem to like including me).

I can't really help with cartoons as I don't like them so much, but I did buy the Guardians of Ga'hoole and A Christmas Carol and the 3D in them is really, really good.

·
Premium Member
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome suggestions guys, thanks! Some great ideas here including some I hadn't even heard of

Trick for me I think will be to find one that is both 3D and a film I really enjoy.

Keep em coming. If anyone else wants to chime in that'd be great thanks!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Avatar and Hugo are pretty great.

Madagascar 3 also looks wonderful.

Kind of graphic and not shot in 3D, the slow motion scenes in Dredd look neat.

·
Registered
16,989 Posts
For pure 3d on the animated side, Sammys Adventure is still the best from what I have seen.

For live action, Flying Swords of Dragonsgate is at the top.

Avatar gets the "most overrated" 3d award. Depth overall is conservative and pop out is nearly non existent.

There are some other very good 3d presentations of course, but those two are the best feom what I have seen.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Really regretting not getting the 3D versions of Bluray movies now.

I already have most of the movies mentioned in this thread on regular ole 2D Bluray lol.

Anymore suggestions? So far I have Life if Pi and Transformers 3D on my to get list.

Cartoons would be fine too, I have two young children

·
Registered
361 Posts
Creature from the Black Lagoon....Dial M for Murder.

In October, House of Wax w/Vincent Price.

2d to 3d conversions: Titanic and Jurassic Park.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Kung Fu Panda 2, How to Train Your Dragon and Madagascar 3 are all pretty awesome. Dreamworks 3D tends to be a slight bit better than the Pixar ones.

I will also add in the following (hopefully not repeats)

Tron: Legacy

Tangled

Dredd

Prometheus

Brave

Nightmare Before Xmas (good conversion)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS G35  /t/1476097/best-3d-bluray-for-demo-evaluation-reference#post_23563380

Really regretting not getting the 3D versions of Bluray movies now.

I already have most of the movies mentioned in this thread on regular ole 2D Bluray lol.

Anymore suggestions? So far I have Life if Pi and Transformers 3D on my to get list.

Cartoons would be fine too, I have two young children

I hear you on that one. It cost a small fortune to replace my 2D's with the 3D releases. I was anti 3D in the beginning until I had it in my home. Fortunately, many animation films have decent resale value.

By the way, check the forums 3D software section. There are many threads with just the info you are looking for.

Tom

·
Registered
721 Posts
I see a few mentions of Flying Swords of Dragon's Gate. I haven't picked it up yet, love old school Jet Li and Tsui Hark, but heard this one was weak. But if the 3D is that good, I may have to get it.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Not out yet but soon, Baz Luhrman's version of The Great Gatsby If the disc is as good as the theater presentation it will be impressive. It was shot in 3D and using a combination of pop out and step in perspective. This was Baz's first 3d film and he uses it creatively.

·
Registered
677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody  /t/1476097/best-3d-bluray-for-demo-evaluation-reference#post_23398140

Just got my first 3D capable set and though I'm not a huge fan of 3D in general I was wondering what the collective opinion is of the best 3D bluray?

Hello

I have lots of 3D blu-ray movies in my private collection and would still have to rate Avatar 3D as the best of the bunch. Oh, and The Life of Pi was a good one, too.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Thr best 3D I've seen so far is Avatar. But I now own Hugo and Life of Pi. So I've got more watching to do.

I thought Jurassic Park was good; however, the objects all seemed to appear more flat than I think looks real, but with good depth. I know that it was purposely done that way so that objects would not take on a miniaturized look that occurs when things have good roundness. (Dinosaurs need to look BIG.) I do wonder if conversions are as capable of making objects appear rounded as when two properly spaced cameras can do. I know that conversion can give a good sense of depth.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Since it wasn't mentioned. Despicable Me (part 1) has incredible 3d usage and balances both depth and out of the screen effects wonderfully.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,079 Posts
Greetings,

Great suggestions being tossed about. Here are a few I like (a few have been mentioned already):

- Madagascar Europe's most wanted

- Pacific Rim

- A very Harold and Kumar Christmas

- The Great Gatsby

- Life of Pi

- Oz the great and powerful

- Drive Angry

- Journey to the mysterious island

- Titanic

- Finding Nemo

- Prometheus

- Silent Hill Revelation

- Rise of the guardians

Regards,

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
I'd have to add FINAL DESTINATION 5 (just the opening credits alone would warrant inclusion) and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (which only makes me wish they'd release IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE.)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts