AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah being able to watch 3D at home is good but don't feel you don't need to go to the theater any more. New 4K projectors with their higher color depth are much better (non 3D is much better also). Saw Final Destination 5, not very good but the 3D was awesome. Do yourself a favor and see 3D movies at the theater and then get the 3D BluRay so you can enjoy it at home. Support the movies at the theater so they will keep on coming- it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I thought the 3D effects in FD5 were ridiculous (in a good way). Most insane depth and pop-out I've seen in a 3D film for the duration (not just a couple scenes like every other movie).

The physics were totally screwed in a lot of the scenes and the plot and characters were super annoying. Overall I much preferred FD4.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I do like to see everything that is good in the theater first, then run it into oblivion at home. I like to compare to what the theater was like - it is never the same and often better in the theater. But the picture can often be brighter at home and the sound at home can match my preference better, too. So, I like both.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I may support the idea of going to the theatre in principle but sadly my local theatres are often not offering the sort of presentation I would expect.

More often than not the images are soft or dim or the sound isn't as vibrant as I would expect. I have no such issues with my home theatre so I am afraid theatre visits for me are few and far between.

Where a very large screen size is an absolute advantage, and this is content dependant in my opinion, I visit the theatre but otherwise not until theatre owners stop showing compromised presentations.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sad some don't have good 4K theaters (Christie projectors to be specific, very bright with great contrast also) to go to. Then again on the plus side, your home theater doesn't look lacking in comparison. My next TV purchase will be 4K.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
What's really bad is that some people insist on blah-blahhing through the movie, as if they were at home on the couch.

Most of the time it is random comments, but when I went to see Cast Away, I literally had walk out and get my money back. Constant narration from the seat behind me. "Your leg is bleeding, get out of the water. Sharks can smell blood, better get out of the water. What's that on the shore? Hurry, before a shark comes..." etc. etc. That was 11 years ago, and while it's never been that bad again, it is still annoying and happens almost every time I go to the theater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.