AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
It's either cheap or relatively expensive right now. The 720p DLP 3D projectors are a huge value, but there's a down side. Right now you can't use a 3D BD player with them only a PC. As mentioned Optoma, will have a converter for $500 maybe by the end of this month, and it supposedly works with several of the 720 projectors. The Acer 3D 720p projector sells for between $350 to $650 depending where you buy and is comparable to the Optoma for 3D.

Next is the JVC RS40 which sells for (discounted) around $3500, but as with all the 3D projectors, you'll need glasses and an emitter (except for the DLP link glasses, which you can use with the 3D DLP 720p projectors) so you'll need to factor those costs into the overall package.

I bought an Acer for 3D and upgraded my computer and bought 5 pairs of Nvidia glasses and a ceiling mount with an extension arm all for around $1,700 including 13% tax and couldn't be happier. The big advantage of the DLP is no "ghosting" and no flicker to speak of and one hell of a 3D image! For 2D I have an Epson 9500 and an Epson 7500 and a Sony G90 CRT projector. To get the brightest image possible, since 3D with glasses eats up 80% to 90% of the light, look into the Da-Lite High Power screens - they work very, very well with both 2D and 3D, but they're a lifesaver for 3D in particular. They're retro-reflective, so to get the most out of their high gain you should mount the projector either just above or just below your head height when sitting. Mine is mounted about 20" above my head and works great with this screen.

The 720p DLP 3D projectors are, IMO, the best bang for the buck in home theatre by far.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts