AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a pair of 3D glasses for my DLP projector. What would you guys suggest running in 3D to experience the best demo. I'll try it out if I have it.

I think I might have one blueray movie that has 3d, Dredd.

·
Registered
16,840 Posts
Try Trine 2, it's one of the best 3D capable games out there.

Jason

·
Registered
16,840 Posts
Yeah Tomb Raider is another solid 3D title (once they fixed the crosshair depth).

Jason

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Trine and Tomb Raider were pretty nice. Trine was really good.

But it hurt my eyes a little to watch. Not sure if that's something in my settings, or just me being not compatible with this tech. I don't know if I can keep a 3d title going for a substantial amount of time.

Come to find out my AVR 1909 can't pass through a 3d bluray signal. Shuts my PS3 down when I try. Since my PC is closer than my AVR and I have a DVI to HDMI, I sent the dvi from gpu to hdmi into port 2 of the projector left the original hdmi connected for sound. Was able to test it out.

I'll test out Dredd running through the PC later.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Out of curiosity how big is your screen Yrd? If you supersized the 3D it may take a bit of getting used to, but on the other hand a virtual wall that goes back into infinity is a beautiful thing. I think you'll like Dredd in 3D once you get your sound set up.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure how big. I have this thing sitting on a table and made the screen as small as possible. I kind of got side tracked setting up a propper place to mount this since it was so cold and don't have a mount yet. I'd say it's between 90-100 inch screen. Smallest it can be where I have the pj sitting. When I mount it I'll be moving it forward a bit.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd  /t/1524696/best-3d-source-to-test#post_24542323

But it hurt my eyes a little to watch. Not sure if that's something in my settings, or just me being not compatible with this tech. I don't know if I can keep a 3d title going for a substantial amount of time.

Two ideas:

1. It's possible that the 3D is configured such that it exceeds your physical limitations. If you have a ruler or tape measure, measure the distance between your left and right pupils (in the mirror, or ask someone to do it for you). This is your IPD (interpupillary distance). With glasses off, objects which should be far off (mountain tops, stars, far away tree tops, etc) must not exceed your IPD when you measure the distance between their left and right image on the screen. For realism, they should match your IPD, but less than that is fine. Just never more. This procedure might sound ridiculous, but it's necessary with a projector, as your PC has no idea how large the image is.

2. It's possible that your eyes just need some time to get used to it. Our eyes are muscles, and sometimes they need training! I had significant eye strain the first few days I played 3D games, but it went away and has never come back.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Metro: Last light is another good choice.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion  /t/1524696/best-3d-source-to-test#post_24546990

Two ideas:

1. It's possible that the 3D is configured such that it exceeds your physical limitations. If you have a ruler or tape measure, measure the distance between your left and right pupils (in the mirror, or ask someone to do it for you). This is your IPD (interpupillary distance). With glasses off, objects which should be far off (mountain tops, stars, far away tree tops, etc) must not exceed your IPD when you measure the distance between their left and right image on the screen. For realism, they should match your IPD, but less than that is fine. Just never more. This procedure might sound ridiculous, but it's necessary with a projector, as your PC has no idea how large the image is.

2. It's possible that your eyes just need some time to get used to it. Our eyes are muscles, and sometimes they need training! I had significant eye strain the first few days I played 3D games, but it went away and has never come back.

Ok so when I go and take a measurement of my pupils, how does that transfer to my screen size. lets say my pupils are 2 inches apart. How am I relating that to my 100" screen, and what setting changes this?

I think there were 2 sliders in either the nvidia panel or any in game menu.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd  /t/1524696/best-3d-source-to-test#post_24553824

lets say my pupils are 2 inches apart

Your screen size won't really matter. You just need to measure, with the glasses off, the separation of the left and right images on the screen of objects which should be far off in the distance in the game world. They should not exceed your IPD of 2 inches. Adjust Depth to do so. I think it's ctrl F3 and F4 to decrease/increase depth. Check your Nvidia control panel to be sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts