AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for my aunt and uncle. I have the Samsung PN50B650 which I love, totally sold on plasma as soon as I researched them, and saw a B650 in my buddy's house. But, I have no brand loyalty and have been looking at Panasonic and LG plasma.

I'm leaning towards this model (price is a factor here because they are looking at LG LCDs which are dirt cheap)

Panasonic TC-P42U2 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV on Amazon.

Anything else? Is there a model near this price with Netflix built in from any manufacturer?

Let me know what you think are the best choices.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampagex /forum/post/19542403

I'm looking for my aunt and uncle. I have the Samsung PN50B650 which I love, totally sold on plasma as soon as I researched them, and saw a B650 in my buddy's house. But, I have no brand loyalty and have been looking at Panasonic and LG plasma.

I'm leaning towards this model (price is a factor here because they are looking at LG LCDs which are dirt cheap) Panasonic TC-P42U2 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV on Amazon.

Anything else? Is there a model near this price with Netflix built in from any manufacturer?

Let me know what you think are the best choices.

My first choice would be the TC-P42G25 which was recently proclaimed the Best Bang for the Buck by CNet. A distant 2nd would be the 42S2, but only if spending more for the G25 is completely out of the question. I would not buy a U2 at all. The 42" LG and Samsung plasmas are all low end 768p models.

Best 42" Plasma Thread

·
Registered
722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19542431

My first choice would be the TC-P42G25 which was recently proclaimed the Best Bang for the Buck by CNet. A distant 2nd would be the 42S2, but only if spending more for the G25 is completely out of the question. I would not buy a U2 at all. The 42" LG and Samsung plasmas are all low end 768p models.

Best 42" Plasma Thread

Um... his aunt and uncle prolly could get by with a LG or Visio LCD.
)

I find for simplicity the 42C2 below 460 delivered before Black Friday deals too hard to pass up.

So far I am pleased with the wee thing. It is a good secondary tv and with the S2 offsets really make it a decent tv.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LCD is terrible. 240hz, dejudder algorithms.. what a joke. Plasma has none of those problems. LCD tech still isn't "fixed".

I dont suggest anyone I know use LCD over plasma for anything besides a computer monitor.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Panasonic TC-P42G25 is an amazing tv. It is at a really good price given how much better it is compared to all the other 42-inch Plasmas. The U2 is also very good deal if your room has controlled lighting. I hear the U2 has a better picture than the S2 as the filter combined with the extra piece of glass distort the picture of the S2 a little bit. But the best deal is the G25.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Awesome thread folks!

I've been tearing my hair out the last week going back and forth between LCD/Plasma, and trying to decide on a size for my bedroom. We currently have a 28" CRT that is sitting on a bureau in a very poor spot (I've had this TV since college and although it still works fine it's PQ and bulky size is just not cutting it anymore).

So I was originally looking at 32" since it would be the closest fit, but now the wife has given the OK to go bigger since we rarely use the 46" RPTV in the living room and do most of our TV watching at night in the bedroom. So I figured 42" was the max for our small bedroom and BAM! I come across this thread with a TV that sounds perfect and a budget I can just make with Amazon's price.

Thanks again everyone on AVSforum!

justin

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. as Randy suggest, the G25 is the best; but, is it 'practical'? would your aunt/uncle enjoy a good-quality 50" (720p) for roughly same sum? what is there sitting distance? if ~9-11ft, then 50" would be suitable. Samsung pn50c450 (or c430) or LG 50pj350 would be two options. Just another option to consider.

add: or Panasonic tcp46c2 fm BB or [email protected]

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well I just ordered the G25 from Amazon ($800 total and scheduled to be delivered on TUESDAY!). I was pleasantly surprised to see a "free" Panasonic SC-HTB500 2.1-Channel SoundBar Speaker System with Wireless Kelton Subwoofer (Black) could be bundled until Dec. 4th. They sell it regularly for $275 which sounds extremely overpriced, but for free I'm not complaining (and I'm sure it's better than the speakers that come with the G25).

Thanks again to everyone!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters

Best 42" Plasma Thread
I too am very interested in this price range of TV's. At my local Walmart, there's a Panasonic TC-P42C2 for about 450$, but it's only 720p, so I'm sort of hesitant to buy "outdated" technology. So I started looking at Amazon and found the U2 model for 50$ more and 1080p, but you say not to buy it all....can I ask why?

I really want to keep my budget at around 500$, so these two sets are pretty much perfect for my price range, but I don't want to hate watching my TV every time I turn it on because it sucks.

Oh, and just for reference, I don't own an HDTV right now, nor have I watched very much HD programming or games. In addition, I'll be picking up a PS3 with the set too, so I'm wanting great gaming performance as ewll.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by testament0221
I too am very interested in this price range of TV's. At my local Walmart, there's a Panasonic TC-P42C2 for about 450$, but it's only 720p, so I'm sort of hesitant to buy "outdated" technology. So I started looking at Amazon and found the U2 model for 50$ more and 1080p, but you say not to buy it all....can I ask why?

I really want to keep my budget at around 500$, so these two sets are pretty much perfect for my price range, but I don't want to hate watching my TV every time I turn it on because it sucks.

Oh, and just for reference, I don't own an HDTV right now, nor have I watched very much HD programming or games. In addition, I'll be picking up a PS3 with the set too, so I'm wanting great gaming performance as ewll.
Very reflective. If you have a dark room, it shouldn't be a problem though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27
Very reflective. If you have a dark room, it shouldn't be a problem though.
Does that apply to the S2 as well? Looking at that model now, and it appears to be the most quality for my price range. Doesn't have some of the bells and whistles the G25 has, but in terms of picture quality is it on par with the G25?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Does that apply to the S2 as well? Looking at that model now, and it appears to be the most quality for my price range. Doesn't have some of the bells and whistles the G25 has, but in terms of picture quality is it on par with the G25?
It's on par with the S2. Not with the G25 though. G25 has better blacks and a more accurate picture with their THX Mode. S2 has a anti-reflective filter but not as good of one as the G25. U2 has no anti-reflective filter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
It's on par with the S2. Not with the G25 though. G25 has better blacks and a more accurate picture with their THX Mode. S2 has a anti-reflective filter but not as good of one as the G25. U2 has no anti-reflective filter.
Alright, so the THX panel makes the quality a tad better then right? Well, I myself am a HDTV laymen, so I'm not even sure if I would notice the difference between a THX and non-THX screen, so that extra quality may be wasted on me.

So is it safe to say that the C2/UC/S2/G25 will all provide great viewing experiences, with slight quality improvements as one moves up the price range? Or is there a "bad" TV in the line of Panasonics?

-edit: Oh, and one more question: As I said, I'm looking at this TV on Amazon, so I'm wondering if ordering something like a Plasma TV off a website is safe or not? Has anyone had any bad experiences ordering TV's from Amazon, or with their SquareTrade extended warranties?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Alright, so the THX panel makes the quality a tad better then right? Well, I myself am a HDTV laymen, so I'm not even sure if I would notice the difference between a THX and non-THX screen, so that extra quality may be wasted on me.

So is it safe to say that the C2/UC/S2/G25 will all provide great viewing experiences, with slight quality improvements as one moves up the price range? Or is there a "bad" TV in the line of Panasonics?
No bad tv's but 1024x768 might be kinda low for HD. I would at least go U2.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
No bad tv's but 1024x768 might be kinda low for HD. I would at least go U2.
Alright, thanks a lot for the help, I think my decision has become much easier. Shopping and researching for HDTV's can be maddening at times, because there's so much information out there, that it's almost hard to comb through all of it and make a good decision. I know 5-600$ really isn't a lot of money, but to someone like me, I can only make a purchase like this during tax season, so I need to make the right choice on purchases like this.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just got my 42" G25 last night and it's........awesome as expected. On Amazon until Dec.4th you get the soundbar/wireless sub combo for free (normally $275, so you could Ebay it for some cash to offset the high price for a 42")....so if you're on the fence about what/when to buy hopefully this post helps sway you purchase sooner...

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by testament0221 /forum/post/19550947

-edit: Oh, and one more question: As I said, I'm looking at this TV on Amazon, so I'm wondering if ordering something like a Plasma TV off a website is safe or not? Has anyone had any bad experiences ordering TV's from Amazon, or with their SquareTrade extended warranties?

I ordered mine last week from Panasonic directly. However, I came across the squaretrade warranty on amazon and found that you can use it for non-amazon purchases. If you have facebook, there is a squaretrade page that offers 40% off a squaretrade discount with the code "jingle". I called up Squaretrade and said I had a coupon for 40% off and she never even questioned me about the code. She just credited me $40.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.