AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this thread is completely redundant. I didn't see any recent threads specific to the same question here. Given that the technology changes daily, threads from a year or more ago are probably no longer useful.

So, anyway...

Any recommendations for a 40"-42" TV? I have a specific price in mind, but I see that we're not allowed to discuss prices.

I'm not particularly partial to either LCD or plasma. I currently have a 32" Vizio (720p) that I am pleased with, but am looking to move that to our spare room. This TV will be for the main living room. The viewing distance from the couch will be about 7 to 7.5 feet. Eye level meets the middle of the screen (on the 32" at least). The room is usually dim or dark (or could be made dim) when viewing the TV.

The TV will be primarily used for Xbox 360 games, standard definition DVD's (upscaled to high definition), Netflix streaming, and over-the-air broadcast TV. Given that I plan to play the 360 quite a bit, I'm very concerned about controller input lag. Motion blur is a bit of a concern, but I really haven't noticed any with my current Vizio in video games (a bit sometimes in sports on TV, but not much).

I've been looking at the following models, but they all seem to blend together after a while:

LCD:

Toshiba 40E200U (if I can find it locally)

Toshiba 40FT1U

Vizio E420VL

Sony Bravia KDL-40EX400 (I think at my local Wal-Mart)

All LCD's are 1080P/60 hz refresh (except the Vizio at 120 hz)

Plasma:

Panasonic TC-P42C2

Samsung PN42C450

LG 42PJ350 (if I can find it locally)

All plasmas are 720p.

Any recommendations between these or something else entirely? All of these are around the same price give or take $50.

Any general recommendations between LCD or plasma when one of the primary (if not the primary) purpose is for gaming on a 360?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am also looking for a 40 to 42 inch TV. I will be using it as primarily a gaming tv as well ad a computer monitor. I was wondering why you didn't list the LG 42 inch ld450. It's listing on amazon for a bargain entry price of 500$ and can also be picked up locally pretty much everywhere. I've heard it was a good gaming tv.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't aware of that model. I've only perused online, but can't find it anywhere for under $580. I could possibly stretch that high (and I'd consider it for that model), but I'm not sure if it's worth it over the other TV's. I can get the Panasonic P42C2 for $433 right now, actually, and I'm not sure if I want to drop another $150...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I run my 360 on a Samsung A650 LCD (120Hz, 1080p).

1st, I've tried 720p and 1080p output from the 360, and could not tell the difference. This is relevant to you cause it means the 360's scalar is good - most games are rendered at 720p, so you don't really need 1080p for the 360.

2nd, you really need either game mode or a VGA input. With straight HDMI, not game mode, input lag tends to be high, due to the image processing the TV does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts