AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a flat panel for my office to replace an older CRT. I would like to place a 40+" TV in there and will mainly be used for TV viewing and not so much for home theatre. I would however like to get the best one for the money in that 50+ range and in the $1000-1500 range. It may not always be just the office tv so I dont want to just settle on a 720 set that I won't be happy with later if I do use for a seond HT tv. Any ideas guys? How are the Vizios? And the sonys but there are like 20 versions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Maybe you'd like pick-up a $0.25 cup of coffee at Starbucks with that too?



You've set some pretty stringent requirements to pin them down to a $1500 max IMHO.


There are several LCD's out there below 1500 that are watchable. Subjective comes into play here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, maybe you were right. So I downsized a bit to open up some options. Maybe more info and less sarcasm???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,997 Posts
You need to do your homework by reading the numerous brand threads on the forum, both in the LCD and plasma forums. IMO, stick with major brands like Panny, Samsung, and Sony.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
40" XBR6 but i wouldn't pay more than 1200 for it. Ask a sponsor.

Very minimal styling (not an eyesore in office)

No glare, top black levels.

Did I say flawless?

Some concern over viewing angles if you will be viewing from an angle.

I have had the 40 inch for 3 weeks and it is a godsend-


Anka
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True, I've been trying to look through some of the threads but I just need to narrow down a few models I guess and look for the responses.


Thank you very much for the info on the 40", I may check out circuit city for the fire sales, maybe I can find something cheap there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anka /forum/post/15586487


40" XBR6 but i wouldn't pay more than 1200 for it. Ask a sponsor.

Very minimal styling (not an eyesore in office)

No glare, top black levels.

Did I say flawless?

Some concern over viewing angles if you will be viewing from an angle.

I have had the 40 inch for 3 weeks and it is a godsend-


Anka

No more than $1200 for a Sony KDL-40XBR6???


I think you are going to be VERY hard pressed to find a KDL-40XBR6 anywhere close to that price point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
To answer your original question.


You can find a Samsung LN40A650 for a very reasonable price or a LN46A650 for right near the top of your price range.


The Sony XBR line is almost directly comparable (in many peoples opinions) the the Samsung A650, A750 and up but at a lower price point (and more within your price range).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanvbva /forum/post/15587545


To answer your original question.


You can find a Samsung LN40A650 for a very reasonable price or a LN46A650 for right near the top of your price range.


The Sony XBR line is almost directly comparable (in many peoples opinions) the the Samsung A650, A750 and up but at a lower price point (and more within your price range).


His original question was for a 50"+ (just so my post doesn't continue to be taken out of context). The OP later revised his post (as he noted though he missed one correction) after my original response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Keep checking sites for sellers of electronic goods with the economy the way it is there will be many great deals. As an example, Costco sold out of the 46" 1080P Sceptre, selling for $699.00, in no time flat. I ordered one as fast as I could but I was not fast enough. Costco included a full 2 year warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanvbva /forum/post/15587545



The Sony XBR line is almost directly comparable (in many peoples opinions) the the Samsung A650, A750 and up but at a lower price point (and more within your price range).


ppl wish 650 compared directly to the xbr. Trust me, i own both the xbr and a650, no comparison, a650 is good enough for gaming and price was good so i kept it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I have been looking at the discount stores a bit and they seem to have some good deals. I usually stick with the big ones like samsung, pioneer, etc...


I hadn't heard much about sceptre, have seen there monitors just not tvs. Is there like a main panel manufacturer that all the companies use? If thats the case then it really doesn't matter,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbas01 /forum/post/15588682


ppl wish 650 compared directly to the xbr. Trust me, i own both the xbr and a650, no comparison, a650 is good enough for gaming and price was good so i kept it.

I said almost! I don't own both but I did view and research both fairly extensively. I felt, from my information, they were very close. In your opinion what does the XBR have over the A650?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top