AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am right now seriously looking at getting a new 40" LCD flat panel TV to replace my old 27" Mitsubishi CRT TV.

One question though: I have a Panasonic DVD-S35 DVD player that has component output and full 480p support. Which TV out there has the best picture quality displaying that 480p component input video? (Yes, I'd like to get a Blu-ray player but that's further down the road.) It should be noted I'm waiting to see what TiVo will offer with their new TiVo HD boxes that are to be announced to March 2, 2010.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet /forum/post/18135151

honestly, i'm going to tell you to get a blu-ray or upconverting dvd player. any standard def dvd player isnt going to look good on an lcd, even if it has progressive scan.

I'd agree, but my Panasonic DVD-S35 has been a paragon of reliability (if a bit noisy during disc startup!) and like I've said earlier, it's only a stop-gap solution until I get a real Blu-ray player.

I'm right now trying to decide should I get a Samsung LN40B610, 630 or 640 model....

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet /forum/post/18135151

honestly, i'm going to tell you to get a blu-ray or upconverting dvd player. any standard def dvd player isnt going to look good on an lcd, even if it has progressive scan.

Progressive scan 480p is going to look fine on an HD LCD screen.

To the OP's question: It makes no sense (to me) to base the purchase of your new LCD TV on a piece of obsolete, cheaply replaceable technology like a DVD player.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Each year the speed, upscaling logic, de-interlacing logic. and general Picture Quality available from the video processing chips in HDTVs improves. So it is very possible that a top of the line model from a manufacturer such as the 640 or 650 models from Samsung may do a better job of upscaling then many models of upscaling DVD players do. They certainly can not much the upscaling quality of the standalone hardware used by the broadcaster to upscale SD content for output on their "HD" channels which cost many thousands of $.

If you plan on getting a Blu-Ray player in the future make sure that your new TV is a 1080p model and not a 720p modelsincde most Blu-ray disks are recorded in 1080p.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone--mostly!

I do plan to get a 1080p 40" panel, since I don't know of anyone selling 720p LCD panels in the 40" size anymore. I would consider the Samsung LN40B640, but it is fairly expensive and I'd like to know what is the difference between that and the less expensive LN40B630?

But now, another 40" model is now being considered: the new Sony KDL-40EX500, which I believe is starting to reach retailers. Anyone actually own one and tell he how's the picture quality?

Anyway, given how good decoding circuitry on the latest TV's are nowadays, I do think the picture quality from a non-upscaled 480p output of my Panasonic DVD-S35 to be at least reasonable. Remember, this is only a stop-gap setup until I can find a really decent Blu-ray player.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What about Ray?

Well, I have things to say.

I have a samsung LN40A650, I have the PS3 (this dead-need reballing, but not now), it is assumed that he enjoyed bluray in the PS3, the videos downloaded from internet for the PC and DVD movies have a home theater and DVD-VHS combo, both only have component / RCA, no HDMI ...

The 40A650's have a little over 7 feet for typical uses, but for bluray movies, pc and PS3 I stand 5 feet, to appreciate 1080p (naturally better at 1080p native video), including DVD movies, the quality in this samsung is very good, does a great job component cable is obviously not HD / bluray, but is grateful to be in progress, and only 16:9 or zoom1 must choose, according to the case.

which is the viewing distance you have at home?

greetings, Monterrey, Mexico

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.